Ddiamondd

Memorable Miscalculations

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Jake Bugg. Other Stage headliner. Whenever that was...

This. A real head scratcher that one 

28 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

They had a great, appreciative crowd at West Holts in 2015. Superb set. Weird putting them on Pyramid. 

I bloody loved RTJ on the Pyramid. The bass filled the air so thoroughly it felt you could grab a chunk out of the air and take a big juicy bite of it. Like taking a bath in sound.  Now I know W Holts has a good soundsystem these days, but the Pyramid is PA is unbeatable, so often wasted on guitar bands.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Homer said:

Goldfrapp in the JP tent on Sunday evening was surprisingly busy last time. Couldn't actually get in the tent! Danced out the back in the sun and could still see the stage though. They were fucking good, to be fair.

That was my super Sunday in 2017. King Gizz > Frank Carter > Killers (I didn't go to see these two as I popped to see the Gibbster for a boogie, and I don't regret it!) > Goldfrapp > London Grammar. Immense string of acts

Goldfrapp was ace (they always are) once they sorted out the technical issues. And London Grammar blew me away at the time, although didn't sound as good on the telebox later, seemed absolutely perfect at the time, the sound just swirled around the tent, really made me emotional how wonderful that whole afternoon was

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I bloody loved RTJ on the Pyramid. The bass filled the air so thoroughly it felt you could grab a chunk out of the air and take a big juicy bite of it. Like taking a bath in sound.  Now I know W Holts has a good soundsystem these days, but the Pyramid is PA is unbeatable, so often wasted on guitar bands.

That 2015 set at WH definitely had a better atmosphere though, the sun had just come out after it had looked ropey/pissed down for the early afternoon and everyone in that field was bang up for it.  In 2017 2/3 of the field were just tourists come for the spectacle of JC and the first half of the set was to the backdrop of their exodus.

8 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

That was my super Sunday in 2017. King Gizz > Frank Carter > Killers (I didn't go to see these two as I popped to see the Gibbster for a boogie, and I don't regret it!) > Goldfrapp > London Grammar. Immense string of acts

Goldfrapp was ace (they always are) once they sorted out the technical issues. And London Grammar blew me away at the time, although didn't sound as good on the telebox later, seemed absolutely perfect at the time, the sound just swirled around the tent, really made me emotional how wonderful that whole afternoon was

Made the mistake of leaving to see ed sheeran after glodfrapp not my choice wish I'd stayed for London grammar.  Glodfrapp weregreat as ever 

20 minutes ago, Spindles said:

That 2015 set at WH definitely had a better atmosphere though, the sun had just come out after it had looked ropey/pissed down for the early afternoon and everyone in that field was bang up for it.  In 2017 2/3 of the field were just tourists come for the spectacle of JC and the first half of the set was to the backdrop of their exodus.

I don't get this "tourist" slur.  Well, I kind of do, but I don't like it.  We're all bloody tourists, it's just a way of looking down on other people who aren't doing the festival "properly"  The whole place is a spectacle.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Sezz said:

Mumford and sons in John Peel I think 2010. Couldn't get near 

I was inside the tent - it was so hot that the steam coming off the crowd condensed on the roof and dropped back down on the crowd... basically sweat rain 

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Other does seem to get it wrong the most often. Blondie in 2014 springs to mind as a notable one - no need for it at all. You can forgive bookings like Rag'n'Bone Man or when Mumfords packed out JPT, since both acts were in the process of blowing up between being booked and playing, but Blondie were roughly the same size as they were when they played the Pyramid to a healthy crowd 15 years earlier. It wasn't quite dangerous, but it was nowhere near as enjoyable as it should have been.

I bricked it in that blondie crowd. Suffer from anxiety and was trying to get out of the field around the edge and was close to being crushed. Hyperventalating at one point. Scary shit

37 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

I was inside the tent - it was so hot that the steam coming off the crowd condensed on the roof and dropped back down on the crowd... basically sweat rain 

Bombay Bicycle Club was the same in 2010. Lasted about 10 mins!

13 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

I bricked it in that blondie crowd. Suffer from anxiety and was trying to get out of the field around the edge and was close to being crushed. Hyperventalating at one point. Scary shit

When killers were about to come on we had to force r way to edge of the tent .I was ok but my wife got very stressed by the crush so we moved to edge for a little more space 

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

Goldfrapp turned me around. Chic were alright when they weren't playing disco, and sitting around outside a rammed Stonebridge Bar during Groove Armada wasn't all that either. But Goldfrapp smashed it, then went on to Jagwar Ma, Justice and the UV paint fight in the Temple all of which were awesome. The amount of times I've thought I was spent on Sunday and it ends up being the best night.

(*Big up to DIngbat for trying to help me get a ticket the other week!)

7 hours ago, Homer said:

Goldfrapp in the JP tent on Sunday evening was surprisingly busy last time. Couldn't actually get in the tent! Danced out the back in the sun and could still see the stage though. They were fucking good, to be fair.

Goldfrapp was possibly my set of the weekend but tbh I had also taken some shrooms a few hours prior. That set was absolute magic for me. 

Im so glad they were IN a tent though, I think if they stuck them somewhere else it wouldnt have been as great. 

3 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Goldfrapp was possibly my set of the weekend but tbh I had also taken some shrooms a few hours prior. That set was absolute magic for me. 

Im so glad they were IN a tent though, I think if they stuck them somewhere else it wouldnt have been as great. 

They were a bit flat when they played the Pyramid in a similar slot.

8 hours ago, Homer said:

1999 - Underworld subbed the Pyramid then Orbital headlined the Jazz World. The fest pretty much hit peak oversubscribed at that exact point, and the entire Pyramid field leaving and going to the Jazz World at the same time was actually a bit scary.

You can see how rammed it was in 99 from this video shot the next day:

Was a hell of a night though, Manics headlined IIRC? Was right down the front for a lot of it.

2 hours ago, crocodiles said:

When killers were about to come on we had to force r way to edge of the tent .I was ok but my wife got very stressed by the crush so we moved to edge for a little more space 

I’d been well in the tent for Frank Carter and needed to get back out to meet the Mrs near the Pyramid, was proper fun that as the tide came in to see the Killers

4 hours ago, Spindles said:

This 👆 

52 minutes ago, Flysheet said:

I’d been well in the tent for Frank Carter and needed to get back out to meet the Mrs near the Pyramid, was proper fun that as the tide came in to see the Killers

I had the same. Watched Frank Carter then headed out towards the acoustic. Felt like I was the only person on the site walking away from JPT trying to get through the tide.

Someone actually told me I was going the wrong way. 😂

7 hours ago, internetjef said:

This. A real head scratcher that one 

He subbed at Leeds on the main stage same year and smashed it IMO. Wasn’t at glasto that year but would’ve said at that time easily big enough for an other headliner in 2014; but as I said, wasn’t there there so grossly unqualified to make the point

8 hours ago, Bza said:

I had the same. Watched Frank Carter then headed out towards the acoustic. Felt like I was the only person on the site walking away from JPT trying to get through the tide.

Someone actually told me I was going the wrong way. 😂

Haha, this happened to me too, everyone telling me I’m going the wrong way.

Was trying to leave at the end of Frank Carter and felt like I was the only one leaving  the tent.

The biggest mistake I made was waiting a while after Frank Carter finished before trying to leave which meant the tent was absolutely rammed.

I was waiting for a while as I thought I’d stay to catch the Killers.Then somehow it dawned on me that I was not much of a fan and was just getting caught up in the excitement of a secret set, I have been in about 3 or 4 festivals where Killers have played and didn’t watch them so why bother now so decided to leave.

It was heartwarming to hear everyone with good intentions trying to tell me that the Killers were coming on and that it was a secret set though.

16 hours ago, Sasperella said:

This last year, when all The Killers fans filled up the JP so we couldn't get close to Frank Carter. And some of them were really not into it....although fair play to him for winning a fair few over. Would have much preferred seeing him without that!!!

Sorry that would have been me, had never really had much interest. Absolutely loved him and had a ball though, been to see him a few times since so a huge unexpected treat for me. 

13 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

usNl5M4.gif

• Upvote 1

Blondie on the Other definitely, just couldn't move anywhere after they finished, just mass crowds shuffling.

2017 I thought I'd pop my head into Busted on Avalon for a craic and ended up leaving after one song, was crazy!

Also felt St Paul and the Broken Bones were a waste on the Other, if the weather was better and the mud less maybe they would have got a bigger crowd but was very disappointed for them. 

13 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't get this "tourist" slur.  Well, I kind of do, but I don't like it.  We're all bloody tourists, it's just a way of looking down on other people who aren't doing the festival "properly"  The whole place is a spectacle.

I went to RTJ knowing nothing of them. Left a fan & have seen them since. We are all tourists.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

200ml of rum on top of sparkly.

Surprised it took so long for one of these