Ddiamondd

Memorable Miscalculations

As we’re all playing armchair manager at the minute, debating the minutae of Snow Patrol’s popularity and whether Bastille are really worthy of 3rd from top on the Pyramid (...), what are the slots you remember sticking our as being big overinflations / underestimations of an act’s size? Either relative to the rest of the stage they were, or just a weird outlier.

Away from the obvious massacres - no points for Panic At The Disco as headline material or Portishead on Acoustic - I find the Other gets an above average number of head-scratchers.

I remember Yeah Yeah Yeahs being fifth or sixth in 2009, drawing an enormous crowd almost in defiance of such a weird lowballing. To add insult to injury, Glasvegas were second headlining. If I recall correctly, they had an abysmal turnout topping the JP a few years after.

The Go! Team - who I love, but who never been above a pretty niche prospect - were second from top in 2007, before The View got rushed in above them.

Last time’s Other was also all over the place. Alt-J above Stormzy and Wiley raised an eyebrow then but looks worse with every passing day. Emile Sandé missed her stop named “2.15pm Pyramid” and ended up “8.30pm Other” to a 2/3rd’s empty field. I guess BBK underperforming can’t be helped but it rounded off an inconsistent day and a half.

Just a few from the top of the dome. What about you?

Edited by Ddiamondd

(I’d say The National’s choice of setlist in 2017 was a miscalculation on their part but that’s a whole other thing)

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Last year’s Other was also all over the place

it was awful ... nothing but cows to play to :) 

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

it was awful ... nothing but cows to play to :) 

A fitting end for Alt-J’s downward slide

I wasn’t there so I’m happy for someone to correct me, but I’ve always thought the 1992 headliners Shakespear’s Sister must have been one of the most unworthy, especially when I see the sub was Lou Reed. 

Didn't they just have one big hit?

Radiohead on the park in 2011 - a) the sound system just wasn’t up for it b) the stage and surrounding area couldn’t take the size of crowd c) it left Morrissey to perform a half empty pyramid field and d) the choice of set by RH themselves was all wrong - pulp showed them how to do it the following night. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I wasn’t there so I’m happy for someone to correct me, but I’ve always thought the 1992 headliners Shakespear’s Sister must have been one of the most unworthy, especially when I see the sub was Lou Reed. 

Didn't they just have one big hit?

Ditto this with Skunk Anansie. 

I was 8 in ‘99 but had a solid handle on what was going on in dance, rock, rap and pop - had no idea who they were then. Have used written recaps of the 90s and wider listening across the board to fill the gaps, as you do, and the only time they ever come up is in relation to Glastonbury. I mean, even Gay Dad or illbient got/get more coverage. Maybe they eluded press, a white hot underground favourite, had to be seen to be believed?

But still have basically no understanding of what propelled them to that slot twenty years on.

Other does seem to get it wrong the most often. Blondie in 2014 springs to mind as a notable one - no need for it at all. You can forgive bookings like Rag'n'Bone Man or when Mumfords packed out JPT, since both acts were in the process of blowing up between being booked and playing, but Blondie were roughly the same size as they were when they played the Pyramid to a healthy crowd 15 years earlier. It wasn't quite dangerous, but it was nowhere near as enjoyable as it should have been.

This is an interesting thread after the suggestions of splitting big artists up at different times throughout the day (which I like the idea of). Maybe it has the potential to result in more of this?

Difficult to think of stages feeling disappointingly empty other than t’other. Maybe that’s because when the pyramid is empty it looks pleasantly chilled (as long as it isn’t raining) whereas the Other looks pretty desolate.

49 minutes ago, tumbles said:

Radiohead on the park in 2011 - a) the sound system just wasn’t up for it b) the stage and surrounding area couldn’t take the size of crowd c) it left Morrissey to perform a half empty pyramid field and d) the choice of set by RH themselves was all wrong - pulp showed them how to do it the following night. 

Agree with all but D - If they were going to play that set they would have headlined, they had different motivations to Pulp.

They should just have announced it, on the day, as playing almost exclusively their new album. I’d still have been there. It would have been less rammed so those there would have had a better experience and Morrisey would have had a better crowd.

The weather didn’t help either.

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Jake Bugg. Other Stage headliner. Whenever that was...

2014. One of the all-time greats, that:

Jake Bugg

Pixies

Manics

🧐

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

This is what sprung to mind when I read the original post. 

• Like 1

1999 - Underworld subbed the Pyramid then Orbital headlined the Jazz World. The fest pretty much hit peak oversubscribed at that exact point, and the entire Pyramid field leaving and going to the Jazz World at the same time was actually a bit scary.

You can see how rammed it was in 99 from this video shot the next day:

Watching Rold Haris with 100,000 other people, singing 2 little boys then proudly posting photos of it on Facebook.

We all make mistakes.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Just now, bombfrog said:

Watching Rold Haris with 100,000 other people, singing 2 little boys then proudly posting photos of it on Facebook.

We all make mistakes.

That time he played on West Holts was seriously rammed.

I often think about that Fun Lovin Criminals set, whether the whole crowds were better in my day adage stands up or maybe they were just on fire at the time. But maybe it was just overcrowding and a frisson of danger after all

To be fair, FLC subbing the Pyramid is an interesting one in hindsight. Shades of The Fratellis: massive for 18 months, make the most of it.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That was necessary so we could watch Pixies and leg it to Metallica.

Goldfrapp in the JP tent on Sunday evening was surprisingly busy last time. Couldn't actually get in the tent! Danced out the back in the sun and could still see the stage though. They were fucking good, to be fair.

Edited by Homer

2 hours ago, tumbles said:

A definite positive to a sub par Radiohead set. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's terrible that Morrissey got a smaller crowd than he deserved. Heartbreaking.

Beat me to it CalGon!

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's terrible that Morrissey got a smaller crowd than he deserved. Heartbreaking.

Yes he's such a good guy knowing that Heaven knows I'm Miserable Now would have been more heartfelt than normal just devastates me :D