Worthy Warriors 2019

stephos83

I don't quite understand what Worthy Warriors is. Could someone explain it a bit better please?

What I'm understanding is that they are asking you to do volunteer work whilst at the festival. Is that correct? Or is it more of a pledge? Like, is it you saying "I pledge not to litter, let taps run, etc"?

Just signed up myself ... better late than never from the festival :) .... will keep my camp area clear .... lets post some photos of our camping areas  on here post festival to see what a good job is possible .... second time for me .... and hopefully I will remember the t-shirt when I walk over to the heidelberg press this time :) 

8 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I don't quite understand what Worthy Warriors is. Could someone explain it a bit better please?

What I'm understanding is that they are asking you to do volunteer work whilst at the festival. Is that correct? Or is it more of a pledge? Like, is it you saying "I pledge not to litter, let taps run, etc"?

It's a commitment to the values plus a little helping hand towards leaving no trace. Like handing out bin bags to messy campers and helping on Monday morning. 3rd year for me. Go for it, it's worthy!

10 minutes ago, K2SO said:

read the link its fairly self explanatory ... no volunteer work as such just a commitment to the farm and doing what you can ...

17 minutes ago, K2SO said:

You encourage people around you in your campsite to bag their rubbish by handing out the green recycling and black rubbish bags. Think of it as a 10 minute beach clean every day!

Here is a link to the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/243979395982063/  :)

Edited by StoneCircle

I’m in! I’m committed to helping the festival and I’m intending to put plenty of effort to try and make it a success, put myself down for the Big Ground & Pyramid area. 

I hope it’s better organised than the first year they did this, we didn’t have any great support. The camping crews were unaware of what was going on.

there's an added bonus of being in with a chance of winning some great prizes ..... not that anyone should need an incentive but thats definitely a good move by the festival :) ... just had it through on my confirmation email ..... and they required my registration details ... intriguing :) 

16 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

You encourage people around you in your campsite to bag their rubbish by handing out the green recycling and black rubbish bags. Think of it as a 10 minute beach clean every day!

Here is a link to the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/243979395982063/  :)

Oh that's cool! We normally do that anyway, and tie some of our spare bin bags to the posts along the path near our camp, so I guess we'll both sign up!

Cheers

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

there's an added bonus of being in with a chance of winning some great prizes ..... not that anyone should need an incentive but thats definitely a good move by the festival :) ... just had it through on my confirmation email ..... and they required my registration details ... intriguing :) 

I think that is solely to check you have a ticket, this is my 3rd year and the extra wristband and the logo printed onto your own T Shirt is a nice touch.  However sadly we haven't been given the chance of any back door tickets!! :lol:

34 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I don’t think it’s terribly clear either. It seems like a bit of a public declaration to do something I’d do anyway and maybe help out a bit (but when and how?). I’m all for promoting sustainable behaviour though so this is good. 

Just now, StoneCircle said:

I think that is solely to check you have a ticket, this is my 3rd year and the extra wristband and the logo printed onto your own T Shirt is a nice touch.  However sadly we haven't been given the chance of any back door tickets!! :lol:

dont think i gave that before (why would people sign up without tickets ? )  .... you can always hope on the ticket front  :) I managed to get a wristband last time but it took some sorting out from the campsite crew more time will mean better organisation I would guess ... Glastonbury always seems to look to improve things in my eyes :) 

It's a great thing to do. 

Unfortunately we didn't manage to get tickets this year but have been Worthy Warriors for the last two festivals.

We got pitched early and took mallet, pump and got bin bags from camp stewards as people arrived in the area we offered assistance ,gave out bin bags and pointed them to collection points, people were great and it created a real sense of community in the area. Daily walk round the area to say good morning and hand bags out and final reminder about "leave no trace" on Sunday night/ Monday morning well received and made lots of new friends.

Only regret is not being able to do it this year . Hopefully plenty of you will sign up ,get involved and really make a difference.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Can you apply if you are in the campervan fields or is it just for the camping areas? 

yes nothing to stop you ... they do ask for voluntary staying on after the festival .... but it is just that .... I haven't committed but I will be doing my bit during and for a few hours on the Monday morning :) 

28 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Can you apply if you are in the campervan fields or is it just for the camping areas? 

I did before, they only wanted cover in certain tent fields, I was given Pennards or one up that way, which when I went up the campsite crew knew nothing about, so I covered half of E17 in the CV East Fields to make some sort of contribution, and got a great reception from everyone. This year on the application it appears you can select any area so it’s much better.

Signed up too - it's mostly what I, and no doubt all of us on this thread do anyway, bar the encouraging other people bit. I'm always picking up other people's discarded plastic at the festival and more than happy to take some recycling bags around our campsite.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I did before, they only wanted cover in certain tent fields, I was given Pennards or one up that way, which when I went up the campsite crew knew nothing about, so I covered half of E17 in the CV East Fields to make some sort of contribution, and got a great reception from everyone. This year on the application it appears you can select any area so it’s much better.

Thanks have signed up. Will have to leave first thing Monday morning unfortunately as a friend has kindly agreed to live in my house for the week to look after my high maintenance dogs and she'll be desperate to get back to her husband and her own dogs so can't risk getting stuck in traffic. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just had an email from them with some more details:

Thank you for registering to become a Worthy Warrior at Glastonbury Festival 2019. Welcome on board!

All of us here at Glastonbury Festival care passionately about our environmental impact and how it can be improved, so we thank you so much for all your feedback on how we're doing so far.

As a valuable part of Glastonbury Festival’s sustainability team, we would like Worthy Warriors to help us communicate all our crucial environmental messaging to their fellow campers. So take a walk, meet your neighbours and help spread the (green!) word.

Help us communicate our core messages:

Reduce - Avoid single-use plastic and other environmentally harmful disposable items such as wet wipes and non-biodegradable glitter. So please, use a reusable water bottle and encourage others to refill for free and seriously consider re-usable alternatives in all instances.

Reuse - On Sunday evening and Monday morning encourage those around you to take their tent and all their camping equipment home with them when they leave the Festival to use again and again.

Respect - Once a day, help us to distribute recycling bags to your neighbours on the campsite, so we can encourage people to respect the land and deal with their rubbish as they go along.

This year we have expanded our Worthy Warrior Team and a Worthy Warrior Coordinator will be posted at campsite bases on Wednesday and Monday to answer any questions you may have about your role as a Worthy Warrior.

We’ll be sending more updates and important announcements over the upcoming weeks, but in the meantime please have a read through these key points below:

Here’s what to do when you arrive on site:

Pick up your WW Wristband

Everyone who's registered as a Worthy Warrior will first need to pick up a Worthy Warrior Wristband from their Worthy Warrior Coordinator at their campsite base. This identifies you as a Worthy Warrior and you will need it to pick up your extra bin bags from the Campsite Stewards.

You will also need your wristband to get your T-Shirt printed at the Free Press (see below!).

Bring a spare T-Shirt

If you have a spare or old unloved T-Shirt then please bring it with you. We'll be printing special edition T-Shirts for all Worthy Warriors at the Glastonbury Free Press (The Free Press is located in Theatre and Circus), Greenpeace, or Oxfam. This is a reuse project so please make use of one you already own, or pick one up from one of the Oxfam stores on site. 

Monday Morning Helpers!

Those of you that said you were available to help out on Monday morning will be sent further information separately.

Thank you for your support! We’ll be in touch again before the Festival.

• Upvote 1