Surviving Glasto Rain / Mud

WStoner

5 minutes ago, Deneva48 said:

No Troll, ….someone asked for advice on coping with bad weather at Glastonbury, I just said how I cope with it at Glastonbury. only responded to answers received. I wont change now for anyone. Not everyone is in to this Sustainability lifestyle, I don't knock it at all, but will not be lectured on how I live my life at all, BY ANYONE.

I reckon it would have worked better without the caps lock at the end.  Doesn't fit in with the tone of the rest of the message so looks like you're trying to provoke a response.

19 hours ago, Deneva48 said:

leaving a few items at Glastonbury doesn't actually make me anti sustainability

No, pretty sure it was the statement "Sorry but not into all this sustainability, green stuff at all. End Off" or is that too tricky for you to comprehend?

To get this thread back on topic, I will add my thoughts as someone who has been 9 times. 

Only 1 year I have been has it been completely dry (2010 I think) the other 8 times it has ranged from a little rain, to a bloody monsoon (2005). 2015/2016 were not good weather wise. I was camped in Oxlyers and all around us was mud. The walk to the markets was above ankle deep, I nearly gave up on the Sunday morning in 2015, but decided to just get drunk and get through it. I was completely exhausted and broken after 2016, I parked the car and put my wellies on, and apart from the time in my tent I didn't take my wellies off all weekend. 

I couldn't face it in 2017 and as yet I haven't got tickets for 2019. But if I can get there then I would go back, but I don't think anyone should take it lightly if it is properly wet. It is very hard work.

I have been 19 Glastonbury’s and it  has been dry, hot, very hot , damp, wet, cold, lightening, cloudy, sunny, often all over the same weekend! The site is much better now in term of drainage so there is less flooding and wet mud but it can still get really thick and sticky in some areas, and tricky on the hilly bits.  They put slot more wood chip and straw done nowadays which helps. 2016 was worse because of the sodden ground leading up to the festival. You just need to be prepared and take wellies or strong boots. With the wet sloppy mud the splash back effect makes wellies a better choice. Thick sticky mud makes slow going and can be exhausting so pace yourself. If you can’t face the trek in the mud from JP tent or Silverhayes across up to the Park, or SE corner then don’t do it! If it’s pissing down there is Circus tent or Cabaret, Avalon, Acoustic, JP etc or your own tent. Or embrace the rain- the sun usually comes out to dry you off ( 2007 excepted!). 

Wear shorts/quick dry leggings/tights/dresses- nothing long and flowing if muddy. Double up with waterproof jacket covered by poncho if heavy rain. Visor caps are great if you wear glasses. Keep your phone in a plastic bag/cover and toilet roll too, inside a waterproof bag. It can be both very hot and very muddy at the same time and ground conditions can change quickly so look at the forecast- if coming in from WV or CV fields for the day leave stuff in the lock ups in case weather changes. Think 4 seasons in one day.

in 2016 we couldn’t use our trolley as the mud was too thick so had to do return journeys to car - take an empty rucksack in car just in case! 

and take lots of socks. Dry socks are essential to avoid trench foot! 

Best tip is to step in a bin liner and use it to pull muddy boots off and leave them in the bin bag in your tent porch. 

Most of all whatever the conditions- enjoy yourself!! It’s going to be fine anyway like last time so stop worrying! 

( and always pack up your tent and take it home again however muddy?

• Upvote 2

On 5/14/2019 at 7:01 PM, Deneva48 said:

I don't need a lecture, you have no idea how I live, leaving a few items at Glastonbury doesn't actually make me anti sustainability, I just don't go along with all of it, and definitely will not be lectured on it. You wont change my views, no matter what. Im only leaving a tent and sleeping bag, maybe the odd T Shirt, they will be placed with the rubbish, if I took it home it would only be going to the dump anyway.

???

Nowhere near as experienced as others on here as have only been once before in 2015 (very excited about this year though!). Seen messages saying 2015 wasn’t great for weather but to be honest I don’t really recall it being that bad (we stayed in WV and had some hilarious exploits getting back up the hill though at times where we’d slip back down to the bottom ? and have to go again).

Invest in some good true waterproofs (I’ve got some trousers and jacket that pack up into a bag that is no bigger than 2 packets of crisps side by side), some decent wellies and wear shorts all the time.

Did everything I wanted plus more and never once felt that the weather prevented me doing anything. If it’s the same again this year I’d be more than happy. Like many it’s mindset, you’ll have a blast no matter what the weather and if it’s that bad there are plenty of places to seek cover if necessary. 

17 hours ago, SecretFish said:

Quick question. If buying new boots... what serves best with the Glasto mud: leather gtx or modern synthetic/fabric gtx boots?

As a boot wearer in general (I spend a lot of time in the hills), it depends if you just intend to wear them for Glasto or not.?

Leather will possibly take longer to break in but, if proofed, easier to clean. Fabric the opposite. 

I’ll be wearing my leather ones tbh, did the job in 16 without too much trouble and loads of grip, also wore them in 17 when the ground was rock hard to protect my ankles. My fabric ones are a tad overkill for a festival, not needed crampons in the summer yet!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SecretFish said:

Quick question. If buying new boots... what serves best with the Glasto mud: leather gtx or modern synthetic/fabric gtx boots?

I now always buy leather gtx after a bad leaky experience with fabric gtx, though it was quite a few years ago and as always depends on brand & quality.

As we go by car I take wellies, boots & trainers and leave wellies in car as a back up just in case deep mud arrives.....as it did in 2007 & 2016.....Personally I found the 2007 to be the worst of the two: the fest being much better prepared these days, improved drainage & mud alleviation straw & shavings. 

Edited by Lycra

On 5/15/2019 at 1:29 PM, Deneva48 said:

No Troll, ….someone asked for advice on coping with bad weather at Glastonbury, I just said how I cope with it at Glastonbury. only responded to answers received. I wont change now for anyone. Not everyone is in to this Sustainability lifestyle, I don't knock it at all, but will not be lectured on how I live my life at all, BY ANYONE.

You don't need to be "in to" a sustainability lifestyle.  You just need to have even a slight modicum of care for other people.  You're either a troll, or a deeply unpleasant person who does not understand what Glastonbury is about.  Usually, trolls are deeply unpleasant people and vice versa.  Your advice is not required here.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2019 at 10:56 AM, Fork_UK said:

You don't need to be "in to" a sustainability lifestyle.  You just need to have even a slight modicum of care for other people.  You're either a troll, or a deeply unpleasant person who does not understand what Glastonbury is about.  Usually, trolls are deeply unpleasant people and vice versa.  Your advice is not required here.  

Obvious troll is obvious. 

Regarding boots and different weather. We live in Cumbria so obviously have good walking boots but will always have the wellies on standby, I was in some very deep puddles by Le Rac shack in 2016, it was a lake. There was a very nervous moment when I stumbled through it to the benches on the other side and it looked like I was about to create a tsunami. The look of horror until I regained my balance. Thankful for my wellies that day.

Will be packing the trainers as well. :D 

On 5/13/2019 at 1:29 PM, jfaragher said:

Tech fabrics - may make you look like a prick, but they will dry off overnight if you peg them up in the tent porch.  I have a pair of work shorts in some heavy tech fabric, which seem completely indestructible and dry out in minutes. 

/edit - yeah, wear shorts - you dry out faster, and skin's waterproof innit.

Skin is, indeed, waterproof.

1. Trudging through the mud is exhausting so avoid the worst spots and take groundsheet, bin liners whatever to sit on

2. Spend lots of time in bars drinking

3. choose short or ankle boots/wellies. After number 2 above, nothing worse than trying to remove mud clad boots that feel welded to your legs after a day trudging, dancing, falling over

37 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Then why do my fingers go all wrinkly in the bath? ??

Some parts of human skin, better known as glabrous skin, have a unique response to water. Unlike the rest of the body, the skin of our fingers, palms, and toes, and soles wrinkles after becoming sufficiently wet.

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:29 PM, jfaragher said:

Tech fabrics - may make you look like a prick, but they will dry off overnight if you peg them up in the tent porch.  I have a pair of work shorts in some heavy tech fabric, which seem completely indestructible and dry out in minutes. 

/edit - yeah, wear shorts - you dry out faster, and skin's waterproof innit.

Meant an upvote on the skins waterproof comment, clicked wrong button! Don't hate me :)

Get the best waterproof jacket you can afford. I’ve got a Patagonia torrentshell and it’s amazing! Used to have a cheap one that leaked and cling to your skin, not nice! 

If you take a newspaper with you, scrunch it up and stuff it in your boots overnight and it absorbs the moistures from them and you awaken to nice dry boots :)