Surviving Glasto Rain / Mud

WStoner

Obviously it's not going to rain at Glastonbury this year, but if by some freak accident it does, does anyone have any tips?

I went to Glasto 2017 and all was well.  I've been to other festivals where it's rained etc and there have been real issues with mud (Bestival 2017 being a particularly bad example!) but wonder if Glastonbury's capacity and scale mean that they're better prepared?  Or does it all just become one huge mud bath?

Looking for tent waterproofing tips, general travelling about site tips, and how to make the most of it generally if the rain comes a'knocking

They can't make mud magically disappear but they are pretty good at laying down straw and shavings at many points. That said, be prepared with decent waterproofs, decent footwear and a positive attitude. Take a bin bag to sit on, be patient and plan extra time between stages, help each other out and don't be a dick by pushing and shoving - the person you rush past might be having difficulty staying on their feet. 

I make a point of not moaning about it, you can't change it and moaning makes you and your mates miserable. So stick a grin on your face and enjoy the best party in the world. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

It really is just about state of mind and willingness to be flexible.  In a good year you can make plans and stick to them unless you happen to come across something else that might just be more fun. In a bad year you might have to limit the distance you walk and, therefore, might come across something else that is more fun than the thing you thought you wanted to go to. My best day at Glasto was the one I got stuck between Avalon and West Holts because I simply couldn’t be arsed to walk further than that having initially found a dry seat at the Avalon Inn.  Saw things that I would not have ever considered making an effort to see and spoke to some lovely people that I would not otherwise have met.

In terms of practicalities, make sure you have waterproof boots/wellies (whichever work for you - different people have different opinions), good socks and something that will keep your top half dry and not sweat too much.  Also beware that on a good year that the nights can get really cold whereas on a rainy year that is less of an issue.  Don’t wear jeans - they will take days to dry out properly if it is a really wet year.  Finally, remember when you get there that you are one of the very lucky ones.   Even so there will be times when it all feels a bit too much (no matter what the whether) so do what YOU need to do to make sure that you have the best time you can whatever else is going on but also make sure that you pay a little attention to those around you who might be struggling. And then help them out a bit. 

• Like 2

Yeah, aside from the practicalities of it, mentality is a big thing.

One of my favourite Glastonbury memories is in 2016, Sunday, roaming alone, steady rain falling, and nobody caring. Every little area, people dancing their arses off, going for it on the last day, smiles on faces. What a feeling, brought a tear to my eye it did.

Drugs help tbh. Felt like I used more in 2016 when the weather was dodge, and came home with some spare when it was very dry last time out.

Everything is a little more intense, feelings felt a little deeper, high and low, in a wet one, at least in my limited experience.

• Like 1

I'd take a tarp and some bulldog clips and a precaution for leaking tents and take full waterproofs, pants and top for heavy rain. Also, wear a cap under so stops the rain smashing directly in your face, I wear glasses so rain usually turns me blind. Good grip on ur footwear also for slippy areas. I use a camping chair if it rains also. My sister says Galstonbury mud is a privilege. Hmm, I'm not completely with her but it's not that bad as long as you have enough alcohol. If ur taking kids, get those all in 1 water proofs, warm clothes and just let them get rotten. No point fighting the inevitable. I would honestly have mud all day long over scorching heat and no shade. Sorry to be controversial.

• Upvote 1

I think the site has got much better with coping with the rain in the last few years. Obviously when you get a heavy storm or long spell of rain and 100,000 people walking around mud is unavoidable. But they do seem to have put in drainage so you don't get the really deep water or flows of water as existed in the past. If a dry day follows a wet one the mud dries up pretty quickly too - it seems to go through a number of stages, from really slippy, gloopy, then a kind of jelly texture before hardening up.

In terms of coping with it good wellies, boots and water proofs help. Layers are good especially as it can rain but still be warm, or as others have said it can get very chilly at night if the weather isn't warm. Having something to sit on helps and the usual pack of bin liners is good to carry round, although always bin muddy bags don't leave them in the mud as they can get stuck in feet and make people fall over

it was bad when I first started going 04,05, 07

Ive not really noted another really bad years since then, but people do say 15 or 16 was bad, but i didn't notice it . i think i have just got in to the state of mind now, where a muddy Glastonbury is still Glastonbury so it is amazing no matter what the weather

I always think if there's a heavy shower, say on the Friday morning after a few days of no rain, then everyone should stay in their tents until the sun comes back and the water has drained away/dried up.

Unfortunately people, selfishly,  like to move around too much.  So my alternative suggestion is for everyone to bring 10 large sponges each.  With around 2 million sponges we could easily soak up most of any rainwater that falls.

• Like 1

Tech fabrics - may make you look like a prick, but they will dry off overnight if you peg them up in the tent porch.  I have a pair of work shorts in some heavy tech fabric, which seem completely indestructible and dry out in minutes. 

/edit - yeah, wear shorts - you dry out faster, and skin's waterproof innit.

Edited by jfaragher
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, shuttlep said:

it was bad when I first started going 04,05, 07

Ive not really noted another really bad years since then, but people do say 15 or 16 was bad, but i didn't notice it . i think i have just got in to the state of mind now, where a muddy Glastonbury is still Glastonbury so it is amazing no matter what the weather

2004 was decent weather - it just rained on the Sunday!

Bestival 2017 was childs play compared to how glasto can get (I only remember there being one particularly muddy slope?) so def best to be prepared!

Waterproof trousers, proper waterproof jacket, lots of bin bags in pockets (can double up at seats in the mud), don't wash your wellies under the taps and invest in some yellow tinted sunglasses: not the best look but they make everything look sunny and are great for your frame of mind!

• Upvote 1

Having survived the flood in 2005, the 2m deep mud in 2007 and 2016, plus various thunderstorms over the years, I recommend:  good quality waterproofs inc. trousers; a proper proncho (your day rucksack fits underneath); a hat with a brim - keeps the rain out of the eyes; decent wellies; duct tape; old newspapers to put your muddy boots on inside your tent - or stuff your wellies with; plus copious amounts of Burrow Hill hot n spicy cider ?

Also, get a proper double-skin tent, 3000mm upwards. You won't regret it. 

Always make sure you have bin bags that you can sit down on. Food bags can be useful for money/phones etc. 

Be prepared to change plans. In good weather maybe you would have been able to dash across site to see that band you really like but in bad weather finding a stage that has a run of a few acts you like will help you out. Keep smiling. Help others as it's hard for everyone. 

50 minutes ago, Deneva48 said:

Sorry but not into all this sustainability, green stuff at all. End Off

Well you should be or you and your descendants will end up swimming in waste and living on land polluted with chemicals! Most man-made items in landfill don't break down.....archaeologists can read the newspapers they find in tips from 200yrs ago!

14 hours ago, Deneva48 said:

You live your life the way you want, i’ll carry on with mine, same way I have for the last 40 + years, I do my bit with general recycling at home, but that’s it, I have absolutely no intention of changing my ways for anyone. 

You sound lovely.