Other Stage Opener

jow95

4 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Wow just been reading up on that forced to leave her house because she spoke the truth. Living in dark times. Maybe if it's them Lizzo will join them. I know they had a ball touring together. 

Yeah it’s absolutely rotten. Further confirmation, as if any were needed, that there are some nasty people out there

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

reckon they'd be safe on the main days with other distractions on other stages.

I'd plumped for Williams Green because I'd have expected them on the first poster (which was for the 5 main stages) - so if they're not on those, William's Green seems the next best bet.

I kinda hope this siund logic is true. This would be a pretty decent coup for Williams Green, I reckon. Placebo are still a massive deal on mainland europe. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

No way are they playing William’s Green. Third down Other or headlining John Peel I’d have thought - they still play pretty size venues when they tour.

This seems more likely to me FF...but @eFestivals qualified prediction is farrrr more exciting. 

Cannot for the life of me see Placebo opening the Other.

James - as an example - could /should open the Other, yeah. They've got nowhere near the worldwide profile Placebo have...have they? 

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Too big - they headlined it a few years ago. 2009.

2 hours ago, Joe Shez said:

I love Doves but there’s no chance of them getting anywhere near the sort of crowd the killers got. Afternoon/evening John peel slot would be about right for them, billed or not 

Are they too big or too small? ?

Agree that Placebo are a bigger deal worldwide but they're not massive in the UK now. Did they headline latitude in 2017 or were they a sub? Either way their last UK tour had them doing academies again. I could see Other opener or maybe they weren't on the initial poster because there was a Prodigy replacement who got the bump and they needed to fill that gap.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Agree that Placebo are a bigger deal worldwide but they're not massive in the UK now. Did they headline latitude in 2017 or were they a sub? Either way their last UK tour had them doing academies again. I could see Other opener or maybe they weren't on the initial poster because there was a Prodigy replacement who got the bump and they needed to fill that gap.

Checked myself and they were third down the bill at Latitude. Looks like they headlined the second stage but I've not been so don't know how big that is.

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Checked myself and they were third down the bill at Latitude. Looks like they headlined the second stage but I've not been so don't know how big that is.

It’s a tent - not v big. I’d say smaller than JP (could be wrong - went a while back).

38 minutes ago, mike46 said:

Bloc Party? They’re in Bristol that same evening on their Silent Alarm tour so could open the Other then head over... 

I've been thinking/hoping it could be them 

I was suprised they weren't on the poster and I don't l me where else they'd fit on the bill so to me it makes sense 

Couldn't ask for much more than starting the festival with Silent Alarm in full 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Has anyone else found that merely hearing the rumour that Placebo are playing has put them in a more positive mood?

Nope.  I had to endure one of their gigs for a friend's birthday in Dublin a couple of years back.  The short version: if you didn't mind the odd Placebo tune in the late 90s but haven't paid them much attention since, you're in for a long, long night.

Edit - in my rush to condemn the band, I totally missed the joke.  Oh dear.

Edited by fatyeti24

2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Nope.  I had to endure one of their gigs for a friend's birthday in Dublin a couple of years back.  The short version: if you didn't mind the odd Placebo tune in the late 90s but haven't paid them much attention since, you're in for a long, long night.

This is what I'm worried about... 

4 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Ha! It was a pretty subtle one (ie not funny). I don’t actually like them much  at all either!

Chvrches would be beyond amazing (but I believe impossible due to their commitments).  Saw them on their current tour and they were as charming as ever, their recent spat with Chris Brown fans only adds to their appeal.

I think it will be Placebo though.

Doesn't the Other opener usually get relatively small crowds, a bit too early for the young'uns still in their pits.  That's why a thought Doves would be a good bet, it won't be a huge crowd, but there will be a lot of Doves lovers there, of which there are quite a lot here, especially me.. It would be a cracking start to the festival for me. 

Coral would be a good shout too, lots of familiar singalong songs to bop to, although most people wouldn't know their songs until they start playing them

11 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Doesn't the Other opener usually get relatively small crowds, a bit too early for the young'uns still in their pits.

Not really. James had an absolutely massive crowd (by Other Stage standards) in 2016, and the crowd for The Pretenders was pretty decent as well.

10 minutes ago, incident said:

Not really. James had an absolutely massive crowd (by Other Stage standards) in 2016, and the crowd for The Pretenders was pretty decent as well.

Ok, I didn't realise that. We are usually pretty close to the front and there's always loads of space/room to move about. Crowd probably not as dense (!) at that time of day compared with later in the day/evening

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Genuinely a band that would maybe do it just for the giggles ... and who would also justify the 'Special Guests vibe.

Yep. I wouldn't bet on it being them, but I can certainly see Lars going "fuck it, sounds fun" if they were asked.

My grandparents were at a country music festival in Nashville about 10 years ago, and Metallica turned up at this small pub for an unannounced set, so it's certainly the kinda thing they would do.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yep. I wouldn't bet on it being them, but I can certainly see Lars going "fuck it, sounds fun" if they were asked.

My grandparents were at a country music festival in Nashville about 10 years ago, and Metallica turned up at this small pub for an unannounced set, so it's certainly the kinda thing they would do.

Chris Martin, Thom Yorke, Jarvis Cocker and Damon Albarn are all on the record as Glastonbury stans - and as a result they've all pulled out the stops for special wee sets.

Lars's turn.