Other Stage Opener

jow95

I know it tends to be older acts but I have a hunch (and saw an unsubstantiated social media post suggesting) it could be Chvrches. Would give them plenty of time to get to Colorado for their Saturday night gig and given their recent battle with Chris Brown fans I reckon Emily would love to get them on the bill somewhere.

20 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I know it tends to be older acts but I have a hunch (and saw an unsubstantiated social media post suggesting) it could be Chvrches. Would give them plenty of time to get to Colorado for their Saturday night gig and given their recent battle with Chris Brown fans I reckon Emily would love to get them on the bill somewhere.

Wow just been reading up on that forced to leave her house because she spoke the truth. Living in dark times. Maybe if it's them Lizzo will join them. I know they had a ball touring together. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

There was no surprise opener. The Pretenders were listed in advance. I assume that's what was meant so it could be someone already on the line up. 

James were billed as the opening act in 2016 too, they seem to have knocked the surprise part of it on the head.

Had an inkling it might be The Lighting Seeds but they're playing Northampton on the Friday, could still crop up elsewhere though I suppose 

Specials playing the Abbey, combined with them confirming that they're playing loads of festivals next year leads me to believe they'll be nailed on for next year. West Holts headliners? 

I'd thought their best days were behind them following the loss of half the core band, but the album isn't bad at all. They'll always miss Nev mind.

50 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

This would be great, was pretty surprised not to see them on the main poster to be fair. 

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

Doves

I don't care if anyone mentions they said they werent playing, I don't believe them. They will be there...

I’m with you. Surely would be perfect in that John Peel slot that the killers played in last time.

10 minutes ago, Homer said:

Too big - they headlined it a few years ago. 2009.

Yeah I realise that but the same could have been said for the killers. I wasn’t there but it looked absolutely rammed and if it was a semi secret it could work...

1 hour ago, MilkyJoe said:

Yeah I realise that but the same could have been said for the killers. I wasn’t there but it looked absolutely rammed and if it was a semi secret it could work...

I love Doves but there’s no chance of them getting anywhere near the sort of crowd the killers got. Afternoon/evening John peel slot would be about right for them, billed or not 

12 minutes ago, Homer said:

What he said.

Misunderstood your original post as meaning Doves were too big for JP not the other way round. With you now. 

So anyway back on topic, yeah The Specials would be great as opener. Would kick things off nicely for me.

3 hours ago, Homer said:

This is a great listen if you haven't already turns out Terry Hall is absolutely fucking hilarious (in a deadpan way):

It also turns out Rich has no idea what to do if his guest says they where abducted by paedophiles, meaning Terry Hall has to bring it up again later.

Just now, MilkyJoe said:

Misunderstood your original post as meaning Doves were too big for JP not the other way round. With you now. 

So anyway back on topic, yeah The Specials would be great as opener. Would kick things off nicely for me.

Bands usually seem to get a boost when they reform - LCD jumped up a spot - but Doves don't seem to have generated the same for some reason, as far as I can fathom anyway! Would be great in that Other opener spot though.

Just now, mcshed said:

It also turns out Rich has no idea what to do if his guest says they where abducted by paedophiles, meaning Terry Hall has to bring it up again later.

I think that would throw most people, to be fair! Crazy, horrendous story. I thought Terry seemed to have  handled it as well as possible though.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

I think that would throw most people, to be fair! Crazy, horrendous story. I thought Terry seemed to have  handled it as well as possible though.

Certainly a tough one to deal with but basically ignoring the fact that he said it seemed like the wrong response. Hall had obviously decided he wanted to open up about it. I like Rich and think he handles RHLSTP very well letting the conversation go wherever it wants and not always demanding a laugh a minute but thought he dropped the ball here.