Ice on site

joeruss

Just now, joeruss said:

No I'm not talking about crystal meth...

With the ban on single use plastics, I would imagine this will affect us buying bags of ice on site like previous years?

Was hoping to take a cooler and fill it with ice & beers

They've only said that single use plastic bottles are banned. No mention of it being used for bags etc - it would be near impossible to have a complete single use plastic ban across all things - even Shambala said they were doing it last year and fell quite a bit short.

Is there confirmation the ban extends to bottles of juice sold on site too? I was under the impression it just meant single use bottles of water that were going to be banned.  I may have to reconsider my usual drinking habit of buying the 500ml bottles of coke on site and topping them up with vodka. 

Edited by Tartan_Glasto

11 minutes ago, joeruss said:

You'd be better off filling the cooler with ice and beers before you take it to Glastonbury. After having primed the cooler for a good few days first. Fill a cooler full of ice and warm cans of beer once at the festival is a very inefficient and costly way of doing it, I doubt the ice would last very long.

Edited by Johnnyseven

4 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Is there confirmation the ban extends to bottles of juice sold on site too? I was under the impression it just meant single use bottles of water that were going to be banned.  I may have to reconsider my usual drinking habit of buying the 500ml bottles of coke on site and topping them up with vodka. 

All bottles sold on site will be banned - cans or cartons only

1 minute ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Damn. I did not pay enough attention to the announcement...

Just take a reusable bottle to mix up your tipple in!  You could get one that keeps it colder for longer than it would in a coke bottle.  Positives everywhere!

• Upvote 1

Just now, shuttlep said:

on this, will the milky milky man be selling milk in glass bottles, or will he be carrying around a cow and manually milking it in to your re-usable bottles?

I wondered this.  I expect it will be in cartons, like it used to be before we used so much plastic!

People under a certain age might not remember such things!

21 minutes ago, joeruss said:

No I'm not talking about crystal meth...

With the ban on single use plastics, I would imagine this will affect us buying bags of ice on site like previous years?

Most bars will give u free cups of ice if u ask - I was cooling myself down that way in beat hotel on the Wednesday in 2017 this way haha 

2 minutes ago, stu_kent said:

I wondered this.  I expect it will be in cartons, like it used to be before we used so much plastic!

People under a certain age might not remember such things!

these people under a certain age, think the rag and bone man is just a fat guy who sings, if you can't remember him coming down your road shouting rag and bone being pulled by his horse which looked half dead,,, you never lived

he also sharpened your garden tools

• Like 1

I thought that a lot of cardboard cartons (like those used for milk and juice etc) have some sort of plastic coating and are therefore not great news? Unless there is an environmentally friendly alternative now?

12 minutes ago, StevieMcK said:

Are we taking bets now that the price of a 330ml can this year, equals the price of a 500ml bottle in 2017?

I’m pretty sure some of the more unscrupulous vendors will see this as a great opportunity to sell a can of coke at £3 a pop!

10 minutes ago, StevieMcK said:

Are we taking bets now that the price of a 330ml can this year, equals the price of a 500ml bottle in 2017?

From some places? Probably. Plenty of the places that sold cans last time were already charging that anyway.

But it looks very likely that the co-op at least will sell cans of soft drinks (and probably multipacks of them) for approximately the same price as they do at retail stores and if so that'll be a huge price drop from last time out.

58 minutes ago, kh24 said:

I thought that a lot of cardboard cartons (like those used for milk and juice etc) have some sort of plastic coating and are therefore not great news? Unless there is an environmentally friendly alternative now?

Tetrapak is what they are called and they are recyclable.

33 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ironically this thread has become hot ... sorry the supermarket will just be selling bags of water now :) 

"The two totally distinct types of visionaries, it's like fire and ice, and I feel my role in the band is to be kind of the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water"

I normally do a supermarket run in the morning for drink and ice and stick it all in a cool bag which I then carry about. Lasts all day and well into the evening and keeps tins absolutely ice cold. 

Only remember seeing a few places doing ice last time, one to the right of the pyramid and one down between river mead campsite and silver Hayes. Anyone know where else sells ice?