Alternative to Dance Music at Night

kf24x

18 hours ago, alframsey said:

I always enjoy the dance acts after the stages have finished, and maybe the odd two throughout the day, and hope to find some this year. My problem is I have zero knowledge and rely upon friends in the know to drag me along to someone decent. This year I only have my nu leng and Denis Sulta and I don't think they're on after hours even...

To answer the question though if you're up for a more chilled yet still lively in its own way night then Greenfields as some have already said, the Stone Circle is good for an hour or so but I usually need more entertainment so venture off to other areas. I am realising I have more or less no clue what it is I do beyond go SE corner, stone circle, Greenfields, back to tent around 7am. I can't even name any bars I go to... why I wonder.

Would imagine that Denis Sulta will be playing somewhere after hours.. most likely Arcadia, Block 9 or somewhere like Rabbit Hole/Stonebridge Bar

If you're into Sulta check out Artwork, Peggy Gou, Skream, Gerd Janson, Ben UFO etc if they're playing

11 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Close to my heart as (primarily) a rock fan this subject.

Way too much electronica, I'll just push this button at the right time, put someone else's tunes on, not a real band, type stuff after the headliners have finished.

How "We'll just put some records on, push some buttons at the right time", DJs became apparently a bigger draw than seeing people actually play instruments and sing these days is beyond me.

And they don't even do that anymore do they. It's just, "I'll get my laptop out".

And they don't even do that anymore do they? It's just, "I'll bring my entire set, no hang on, every set I've ever done and every possible permutation of said set is on this USB stick that I'll just stick into the venues laptop".

The Grandpa Simpson in me is seething again (D'ya wanna bag on yer 'ead Grandad? 'cause your gonna need a bag on yer 'ead).

Though I certainly think it's getting better.

As others have said, the wheat is there if you can find it amongst the chaff.

The brass I've seen is always brilliant. I hope the punk scene continues to grow (think Slaves and Napalm Death in the SEC).

Hey I love a good dance tune. It's just way cooler to see a band do them than a DJ just press a button.

Think 2017 Pyramid Sunday afternoon. Barry Gibb into Chic. Old school proper disco. Old school proper bands.

Keep Music Live.

/rant /s

But that's not what a DJ does- there are some bad apples sure but DJing is a real skill- it isn't 'just' pressing buttons in the same way playing the piano isn't just pressing keys.

1 hour ago, joeruss said:

Would imagine that Denis Sulta will be playing somewhere after hours.. most likely Arcadia, Block 9 or somewhere like Rabbit Hole/Stonebridge Bar

If you're into Sulta check out Artwork, Peggy Gou, Skream, Gerd Janson, Ben UFO etc if they're playing

Cheers buddy II'll check them out. I am planning on seeing Denis Sulta purely off the back of seeing him at Boomtown, was great fun. I'll check the recommendations out though. I know from what my pals listen to that I like tech house haha but I just wouldn't know whether there is any on the line up.

I'm sure I stumbled into a tent running Karaoke late one night in the West Holts/Williams Green area in 2017....

Green Fields is great for chilling out late at night - there's always a guitar and a singalong somewhere..

23 hours ago, LeeHC said:

But that's not what a DJ does- there are some bad apples sure but DJing is a real skill- it isn't 'just' pressing buttons in the same way playing the piano isn't just pressing keys.

but ultimately far harder to learn the piano to a decent standard than it is to DJ to what you'd consider a similar standard if such a thing were possible IMO.

On 5/10/2019 at 1:38 AM, DeanoL said:

I do find it weird that DJs playing dance music which is often other people’s tunes is hugely common at Glastonbury, DJs doing straight up pop/rock sets of other people’s tunes is less common but still out there, but nowhere on the bill do you see some solid covers / wedding band actually physically playing other people’s stuff.

Bootleg Beatles....? But yes, I take your point, obviously few and far between.

The way tunes are mixed is whats killer though....personally, I like there to be a mixture of producers in any given set, but if the mixing is shit it ruins the whole thing

Edited by Sasperella

On 5/10/2019 at 1:38 AM, DeanoL said:

... but nowhere on the bill do you see some solid covers / wedding band actually physically playing other people’s stuff.

Yeah I'm guessing this is not normally what people come to a festival for, even late at night, but it has happened
(In 2016 my covers band played Fluffy Rock after Coldplay finished and with a fantastic tent-full crowd we did have a stomping great evening til about 1 or 2 - truly one of the best nights of my life)

After the Foos in 2017, we headed into the Theatre Field (I think - a few too many White Russians had been taken) and we found a tiny stage next to a bar where there was a Soul Revue type band playing Motown/Stax covers until the early hours.  One of my best ever post-headliner nights!

Edited by BluePaul

1 hour ago, BluePaul said:

After the Foos in 2017, we headed into the Theatre Field (I think - a few too many White Russians had been taken) and we found a tiny stage next to a bar where there was a Soul Revue type band playing Motown/Stax covers until the early hours.  One of my best ever post-headliner nights!

Sounds like the Summer House, in the corner of the Theatre field, which has acts on fairly late.

19250608_1224623524313563_10543298460362

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I miss the Fluffy Rock Cafe, you could even have a nice sit down to rest the aching feet.

I used to like the Banyan Tree (I think that got replaced by the fluffy rock but I could be wrong) 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I used to like the Banyan Tree (I think that got replaced by the fluffy rock but I could be wrong) 

You're right, same spot. The Banyan Tree Cafe was a lovely place, but then I'm automatically fond of anywhere that's full of sofas.

They proudly boasted that they were the first venue to open and last to close - running 10am Wednesday through to 10am Monday, with open mic during the day and some scheduled stuff late on / at night.

Unfortunately they got shut down during the 2007 festival for repeatedly ignoring noise restrictions, and not invited back after that.

2 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Sounds like the Summer House, in the corner of the Theatre field, which has acts on fairly late.

19250608_1224623524313563_10543298460362

That could well be it.  I seem to recall seats down the front?  Might have been the White Russians again though.  Lost the use of my legs at one point...

6 hours ago, billum said:

Yeah I'm guessing this is not normally what people come to a festival for, even late at night, but it has happened
(In 2016 my covers band played Fluffy Rock after Coldplay finished and with a fantastic tent-full crowd we did have a stomping great evening til about 1 or 2 - truly one of the best nights of my life)

Your set must have been the one right after my mates' band played where I stepped in to help them out. I'm not a drummer but I added some excellent bass drum as their drummer wasn't there that year. This year they have a proper set booked and they might need me to help on double bass despite me having never played one in my life, their double bass player didn't get a ticket.

• Upvote 1

As this comes up frequently, I think it would be a good idea to collate info on which places are open and active late, what to expect there etc.

It's one thing to say to people to just explore at night, but it would be good to know where to give a try rather than following the massed crowds to the SE corner, finding nothing they're keen on, then wandering back to camp.

I'd add the stone circle, no sound systems playing tunes, but an atmopshere all of its own.

Yeah after the main stages finish, always a rush to the SE corner but on the way we have found the sunshine seekers stage.. Just before you enter the queue to get in the SE corner. I've seen  disco, chic type perfomers and, comedy karaoke thing this year they are doing a Rave night where the audience is part of the show.. There is a bar at the back of the field that plays tunes until late.. We have there the last few years and had a right blast!