Alternative to Dance Music at Night

kf24x

Just reading this thread has got me excited. Spent quite a bit of time in the Park or Williams Green these past few years so keen to go exploring again this year.

Anyone spent much time in the Greenpeace field later on at night ? I know that have the rave tree DJ booth and the new bar areas and installations sound cool. Feel like they've put some effort into developing it around there over the past couple of years and it seemed pretty lively whenever I passed through in 2017, albeit mainly daytime.   

I always enjoy the dance acts after the stages have finished, and maybe the odd two throughout the day, and hope to find some this year. My problem is I have zero knowledge and rely upon friends in the know to drag me along to someone decent. This year I only have my nu leng and Denis Sulta and I don't think they're on after hours even...

To answer the question though if you're up for a more chilled yet still lively in its own way night then Greenfields as some have already said, the Stone Circle is good for an hour or so but I usually need more entertainment so venture off to other areas. I am realising I have more or less no clue what it is I do beyond go SE corner, stone circle, Greenfields, back to tent around 7am. I can't even name any bars I go to... why I wonder.

This is another positive shout for the Crows Nest. Great place late on. Always some banging secret sets and great music in between. You can then wander into the bars at the park. Always a good eclectic mix of music and finish up in the green fields. Some great smaller venues already mentioned by others and the best vibe on site. 

Im SO excited now ?

6 hours ago, ivan said:

I think the Bar in The Park ( name escapes me ) where they have the Madchester night , might be worth a try 

Aye the Stonebridge Bar is the one. Baggy Mondays is the name of the Madchester thing if I recall correctly

8 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

No Chameleon (or Kasbah) this year. Though you imagine whatever replaces them will cater to the indie disco crowd.

This is just a rumour though, isn't? Started by someone on Facebook because they  couldn't see them on the map?

I like the Ridge & Furrow down near Avalon. It’s on for a fair while after the headliners and is always playing a really good eclectic mix of music & has a great friendly party atmosphere.

We kind of discovered it whilst waiting for the SE corner queue to die down & ended up just staying there!

Also - The Diner/ Rocket Lounge in the SE corner plays lots of different stuff & has a totally different feel to the rest of that sector.

26 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

This is just a rumour though, isn't? Started by someone on Facebook because they  couldn't see them on the map?

No, posted by Tony Bowen who usually plays there. Says he was told they didn’t get the plots this time around.

Unless it’s an elaborate ruse not to book him... 

9 hours ago, rubick said:

Strummerville could be worth a gander, Craig Charles did a late funk/soul set there in 2017.

Pretty sure there are bands playing late around there.

I never knew about Craig Charles, would’ve loved that.

Do strummerville announce those sets in any way? I recall walking past a few known acts at random points of day and night over the years, Frank Turner 2016 springs to mind.

Close to my heart as (primarily) a rock fan this subject.

Way too much electronica, I'll just push this button at the right time, put someone else's tunes on, not a real band, type stuff after the headliners have finished.

How "We'll just put some records on, push some buttons at the right time", DJs became apparently a bigger draw than seeing people actually play instruments and sing these days is beyond me.

And they don't even do that anymore do they. It's just, "I'll get my laptop out".

And they don't even do that anymore do they? It's just, "I'll bring my entire set, no hang on, every set I've ever done and every possible permutation of said set is on this USB stick that I'll just stick into the venues laptop".

The Grandpa Simpson in me is seething again (D'ya wanna bag on yer 'ead Grandad? 'cause your gonna need a bag on yer 'ead).

Though I certainly think it's getting better.

As others have said, the wheat is there if you can find it amongst the chaff.

The brass I've seen is always brilliant. I hope the punk scene continues to grow (think Slaves and Napalm Death in the SEC).

Hey I love a good dance tune. It's just way cooler to see a band do them than a DJ just press a button.

Think 2017 Pyramid Sunday afternoon. Barry Gibb into Chic. Old school proper disco. Old school proper bands.

Keep Music Live.

/rant /s

• Like 1

I do find it weird that DJs playing dance music which is often other people’s tunes is hugely common at Glastonbury, DJs doing straight up pop/rock sets of other people’s tunes is less common but still out there, but nowhere on the bill do you see some solid covers / wedding band actually physically playing other people’s stuff.

2 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Way too much electronica, I'll just push this button at the right time, put someone else's tunes on, not a real band, type stuff after the headliners have finished.

How "We'll just put some records on, push some buttons at the right time", DJs became apparently a bigger draw than seeing people actually play instruments and sing these days is beyond me.

And they don't even do that anymore do they. It's just, "I'll get my laptop out".

And they don't even do that anymore do they? It's just, "I'll bring my entire set, no hang on, every set I've ever done and every possible permutation of said set is on this USB stick that I'll just stick into the venues laptop".

The Grandpa Simpson in me is seething again (D'ya wanna bag on yer 'ead Grandad? 'cause your gonna need a bag on yer 'ead).

The brass I've seen is always brilliant. I hope the punk scene continues to grow (think Slaves and Napalm Death in the SEC).

Hey I love a good dance tune. It's just way cooler to see a band do them than a DJ just press a button.

Think 2017 Pyramid Sunday afternoon. Barry Gibb into Chic. Old school proper disco. Old school proper bands.

Keep Music Live.

/rant /s

I mean, trying to compare the two is completely pointless though because they are vastly different things in terms of creation, delivery and audience expectation. As a rock fan first and foremost I struggled to see the point of dance music unless I was completely trollied and just wanted to dance, now though I see the appeal. It isn't about the typical show us rock fans have come to expect, it is about something else. Not quite sure what though but at least I can get into it nowadays without looking for what it is I expect out of a gig.

Edited by alframsey

7 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Keep Music Live.

/rant /s

Pray for this man. Jesus.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I do find it weird that DJs playing dance music which is often other people’s tunes is hugely common at Glastonbury, DJs doing straight up pop/rock sets of other people’s tunes is less common but still out there, but nowhere on the bill do you see some solid covers / wedding band actually physically playing other people’s stuff.

You see a few tribute bands though mate. Keep saying I will get there for the Smyths but never do. This year I might just make it.

35 minutes ago, eastynh said:

You see a few tribute bands though mate. Keep saying I will get there for the Smyths but never do. This year I might just make it.

It’s always absolutely rammed, I’ve never made it into the tent, or even close to it!

8 hours ago, DJL said:

I never knew about Craig Charles, would’ve loved that.

Do strummerville announce those sets in any way? I recall walking past a few known acts at random points of day and night over the years, Frank Turner 2016 springs to mind.

I can't recall if there's a separate line-up drop for Strummerville, usually just have a look at the times on the lanyard. Perhaps @Gnomicide could advise here on Thingy history with Strummerville?

35 minutes ago, rubick said:

I can't recall if there's a separate line-up drop for Strummerville, usually just have a look at the times on the lanyard. Perhaps @Gnomicide could advise here on Thingy history with Strummerville?

Strummerville have never had their own official announcement though I know that at least in 2016 they published their lineup on Facebook (13th June). Last time they were included in the full lineup.

• Upvote 1