Decision making process for clashes

gigpusher

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Although did you think the last time The Prodigy played that it would be the last time. It's easy to guess that an 80 year old won't be touring extensively for decades to come but some far younger people sadly won't be either. 

Thankfully I chose well the last time they played Glastonbury. Likewise with Amy Winehouse.

controversial take but I always prioritize bands/singers/"live" music over electronic stuff

I'll be seeing killers over chems and hot chip 

last time saw metronomy over justice 

I also consider if I've seen them before vs how much I enjoyed them, seen killers before but know I'd still enjoy them more than hot chip/chems

I hate seeing stuff to say I've seen them too so size of an act doesn't matter to me, constantly get shit for seeing smaller bands over Ed Sheeran and Foo fighters

2 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

I get it to an extent but for me you've gotta like them a bit or at least used to/like at least few songs. I went to see Coldplay and Foo Fighters thinking I wouldn't pay to see them at Wembley or something (plus just being a Pyramid headliner at Glastonbury makes it more appealing). I won't be doing the same for Janet Jackson though, for example.

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I wouldn't just go to a big act that I have no interest in but take for example The Cure. I have had a greatest hits in my collection for over 20 years. I do like them but I only pay big gig prices for acts I really love so for a band like that I would be more suited to a festival set anyway. 

I wouldn't go and see Miley Cyrus or Kylie because I have no interest in their music no matter how big they are. 

Yeah it’s an act-for-act basis, really, innit? And obviously depends on the acts up against them as well.

I guess each of your last points is kinda what I meant - seeing big names you’d never pay to go see, and really don’t give a toss about, just cos they’re there... But I’d like people to do the festival as they please, really,

2 hours ago, OddRon said:

controversial take but I always prioritize bands/singers/"live" music over electronic stuff

Hot Chip are a live band with a live singer. They have electronic aspects but so do Metronomy on a reasonably similar level.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Hot Chip are a live band with a live singer. They have electronic aspects but so do Metronomy on a reasonably similar level.

oh apologies, bit gutted about that clash then, Joe was great supporting lcd in Manchester as was Al in the band 

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I’m not sure about this thing about seeing big name acts who you wouldn’t pay to see. Like, how much can it mean to you if you wouldn’t pay to see them normally?

Admittedly, if I analysed my past decisions, I’m probably somewhat guilty of doing the same.

I do it a lot, for example I’d never pay to see Dolly Parton however I loved her set. 

Having reviewed who I have watched over the last few festivals I can see that I most definitely make choices based on location. As on most days I will have a run of 3 acts at the same stage, when there were alternatives on other stages that I had pre festival marked as must sees. Should never underestimate how lazy I can be!?

13 minutes ago, Harry49 said:

Having reviewed who I have watched over the last few festivals I can see that I most definitely make choices based on location. As on most days I will have a run of 3 acts at the same stage, when there were alternatives on other stages that I had pre festival marked as must sees. Should never underestimate how lazy I can be!?

I've definitely done the same particularly when it's muddy I end up with where is there a run of 2 or 3 decent acts as opposed to my favourites that are playing at the time. I think it's an absolutely legitimate strategy. It's also why I don't make firm plans. I just highlight everything I'm interested in and make my mind up on the day. We have multiple conversations where we make decisions and then change our minds. 

5 hours ago, OddRon said:

I also consider if I've seen them before vs how much I enjoyed them, seen killers before but know I'd still enjoy them more than hot chip/chems

I hate seeing stuff to say I've seen them too so size of an act doesn't matter to me, constantly get shit for seeing smaller bands over Ed Sheeran and Foo fighters

I do tend to choose live over DJ's but I love some electronic music (including Hot Chip) so I wouldn't go that extreme. Their headline set on West Holts was fantastic. 

Runs of acts are quite good, and I look out for them when planning my day.  However I don't like doing that on the Pyramid stage because of the huge amount of time between them.  All of a sudden half the day has gone and you've only seen two or three things.

19 hours ago, OddRon said:

Yeah, I’ve always been puzzled by people who say that they’re not a fan of the artist but are going to watch them ‘just to say I’ve seen them’. I do hear it quite a lot.

I can’t imagine myself standing through a set for Ed Sheeran,Coldplay or Adele or whoever just to say I’ve seen them, I’m not even sure who it is I’d be ‘just saying’ it to, haha.