Decision making process for clashes

gigpusher

So it has become apparent to me that I'm going to have a lot of clashes this year and it got me thinking about how I make my final decision about who to see. 

I usually leave it until the day because weather could end up being a determining factor if there is an indoor/outdoor venue situation but what other factors do you consider. 

Things I've been thinking about are: 

1. Whether I've seen them before
  2. Whether I would pay to go and see them
  3. Are they almost guaranteed to be good vs an unknown quantity
  4. What stage they are on
  5. Will they end up being televised
  6. Is there a run of acts on one stage to save energy in the event of mud!! 

Does anybody have a system they use for deciding on clashes that they'd like to share or any other factors that they use for making the decision?

Mine usually boils down to rarity and cost of individual gig tickets/how likely I am to go to or get the chance to go to one of their shows. For example, Janet vs. Lizzo: I’m rarely gonna get a chance to see Janet, and I imagine her tickets cost a fortune, whereas Lizzo will be touring frequently what with a new successful album and prices be far more reasonable.

Doesn’t always work that way but in the occasion that there’s two or more must sees going up against each other it’s usually a good way to go about it.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Mine usually boils down to rarity and cost of individual gig tickets/how likely I am to go to or get the chance to go to one of their shows. For example, Janet vs. Lizzo: I’m rarely gonna get a chance to see Janet, and I imagine her tickets cost a fortune, whereas Lizzo will be touring frequently what with a new successful album and prices be far more reasonable.

Doesn’t always work that way but in the occasion that there’s two or more must sees going up against each other it’s usually a good way to go about it.

I was thinking about doing that as well. The only problem I have with it is that it means I'll end up seeing a lot of stuff that get mixed reviews vs acts that pretty much always knock it out of the park. Can't help but feel I'd be gutted if I went to see Janet Jackson for example and she mimed and wasn't that good and then I went home and saw that Lizzo was one of the sets of the festival. Same with The Cure vs Janelle Monae. I've heard mixed reviews for them but she is always fantastic. Some tough choices to be made!! 

Similar to MilkyJoe, my Clashfinder is highlighted with must - sees and some highlighted with bands I've listened to and like the sound of. Always depends how the day has panned out, where i am on site and the weather! Although for the Must - sees i always pre plan my location a few hours before.

Just now, Wakey321 said:

Similar to MilkyJoe, my Clashfinder is highlighted with must - sees and some highlighted with bands I've listened to and like the sound of. Always depends how the day has panned out, where i am on site and the weather! Although for the Must - sees i always pre plan my location a few hours before.

I only have 1 must see. The rest will be decided on the day but already very conflicted about the choices I have to make. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

I only have 1 must see. The rest will be decided on the day but already very conflicted about the choices I have to make. 

Who is your must see out of interest?

I only have one this year also - The Cure!

My decision is influenced buy age/illness or drug use/ how often they play. Basically if I like them and havnt seen them live . Will I get ever get another chance? If they are young and healthy and tour alot then chances are our paths will cross again. Glad I decided to see rolling stones as will probably never get another chance, also took my chance to see Amy Winehouse .

Just now, Wakey321 said:

Who is your must see out of interest?

I only have one this year also - The Cure!

My must see is Mavis Staples. She'll be 80 shortly after the festival so suspect it's my last chance to see her and her last album If All I Was Was Black was one of my favourite albums of 2017. Not many people in their late 70's still creating fantastic new material. 

Interestingly The Cure are one of my agonising clashes. I really like a lot of their stuff but they are a greatest hits band for me whereas I love Janelle Monae. Already seen her once this year and have bought tickets for her Manchester date in July. I know I should probably jib her based on this but I think she'll be awesome and seeing one of your favourites in your favourite place!! It's tough!

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

No clashes for me so far, which is lucky as I always choose the wrong one.

My biggest ever clash was Blur v. Prodigy. Went to Prodigy because one of my favourite ever gigs was their on their Jilted tour. Really wish I'd seen Blur instead.

Yes in 2016 I think in retrospect almost every choice I made was the wrong one whereas in 2017 I smashed it and it was my favourite ever festival. 

9 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

No clashes for me so far, which is lucky as I always choose the wrong one.

My biggest ever clash was Blur v. Prodigy. Went to Prodigy because one of my favourite ever gigs was their on their Jilted tour. Really wish I'd seen Blur instead.

Oh no hang on, scratch that. I forgot I went to see Kanye.

Fun.

Will I have more fun watching x or y is my main factor. Don't always get it right mind!

Never take in consideration whether or not they will be on the TV, cost of a ticket to see them live or even whether I have seen them before.... it's all about having fun and if that means watching the chemicals AGAIN that's where I'll be.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, morph100 said:

where I am and how drunk I am is a big factor.

them being televised makes no difference, I never watch Glastonbury on the telly, really doesn’t work for me even if I was there.

If it's 2 acts I'm not too bothered by I will often go for the non-televised one because I know I'll be able to see the other one later. 

7 minutes ago, dccool said:

Fun.

Will I have more fun watching x or y is my main factor. Don't always get it right mind!

Never take in consideration whether or not they will be on the TV, cost of a ticket to see them live or even whether I have seen them before.... it's all about having fun and if that means watching the chemicals AGAIN that's where I'll be.

Yes for the festival that can sometime be a factor. It's why I'm considering Bananarama I think they'll be a fun act!

34 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Whether they are Janelle Monaé or not.

If they are, i’m there. 

And therein lies the crux of my problem!! Usually she'd be ruled out as I have seen her already this year and will be seeing her a week after the festival but the fact remains that she is Janelle Monaé!!