Flags: Where can I order one?

douglasmanso

2 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I find it a slightly weird stance to say the person with the flag is a selfish twat because he's ruining my view. 

But it's not confined to a single persons view, is it? The bottom line is that it's a selfish act to spoil a huge swathe of peoples enjoyment by simply holding up a meaningless flag. Why exactly do you find that selfishness justifiable, given those circumstances?

3 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I can just move to another spot if I don't like it. I certainly wouldn't like to tell a fellow Glastonbury attendee to change their experience because it's impacting mine.

I am also live and let live and would certainly never really want to ban somebody from being allowed to have them but I do think they are selfish just like I think people who have umbrellas are and people who chat through something they are not interested in when you might be. 

I don't want to ban them but if on a forum in a polite and nice way you can point out there are alternatives to flags that will make your fellow festival goer think more kindly of you and it discourages some people who may not have realised that they are inconvenient to other people then I'm all for that as well. Not everybody thinks about the way their behaviour impacts on other people and if polite discourse on this topic makes them realise it then good. 

At the festival itself if somebody's behaviour bothers me I do tend to just move but my husband gets quite claustrophobic in big crowds so heading to the front isn't really an option for us. 

This is just like the 'Ciggie Break' conversation in work or the 'car allowance' conversation.

Never worth getting into those either!

There are always those who wont agree.

Personally I just can't wait for the festival and will be delighted that my view is on occassions blocked by a flag because it means I'm there 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Yep. Dirty anti flagist liars.

I'm not disputing flags block 'a view' but I'd dispute the quality of the view they are blocking. Remove the flags and people are so far back that the band is almost indistinguishable. I was far back for Doly and could barely make her out...ended up watching the screens until I realised I could just move and get a better view.

They block the screens as well though.

50 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

This is just like the 'Ciggie Break' conversation in work or the 'car allowance' conversation.

Never worth getting into those either!

There are always those who wont agree.

I suspect those are the wisest words that are going to be spoken on this subject. Circular discussions can get a tad boring, to say the least. That said, if there was a flag in the way of you reading this, then you'd never have known what was written. See what you could have missed- absolute bananas shite. But you don't actually know that, because you haven't seen it.Right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fork_UK said:

So the extroverts should pipe down to make the introverts happy?  How about the introverts join the party?! 

But seriously, surely all the phones in the air and the lines of camping chairs are way more annoying?  You can't please all the people all the time.  Just let people do what they do.  Glastonbury is about creativity and freedom, and if the way someone expresses that is with a flag, then I'm all for it. 

It's not about Introverts v Extroverts.

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Beware flag carriers at the stages. They may well be incurable narcissists. I mean, have you ever seen one on here concede any points, or care that they're being a pain in the arse, or admit that they're attention seeking show offs who want to spot themselves on telly?

Narcs will never admit to being wrong about anything (or if they do, will quantify it with a "but..."), have little or no empathy for others and ultimately, everything revolves around them and their egos.

A phone isn't 3ft by 2ft and 20ft in the air. You're right about the chair w*nkers.

@Keithythe quality of the view doesn't really matter when there are big screens. Oh. Wait. I can't even watch them properly because flags keep getting in the way (of the screens and the cameramen filming for the screens).

2 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

That's a bizzare straw-man argument on so many levels.

There is nothing 'creative' about flags. 

Sorry, where was the strawman?  

3 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

What can you realistically express creatively with a flag, that can only be done during a gig? If I want to express my creativity via a gigantic hat that blocks the views of hundreds/thousands of people behind me, is that okay because I'm just expressing my creativity.

Fact: nearly all the flags people bring are shite! Most are flags of countries, some have not very funny jokes on them. Even with a funny joke, do you need to broadcast it for an hour and have it take priority over what's going on on stage? Should they cut the sound on stage so people can crack one joke for an hour to everyone behind them?

I suspect the people who create their flags are creative and expressive in various other ways in their lives.  Whether that be artistic, joking with their mates, making memes, making music, or whatever. The best thing about Glastonbury is that people can be creative however they want, with flags, funny hats, fancy dress, dancing, face paint, or whatever they want, without feeling self-conscious.  Maybe the average accountant or police woman or builder can't wait for Glastonbury every year, because they can let their creative hair down in a place where they don't have to conform to their normal peer groups' usual social acceptabilities.  

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

What? Nobody has mentioned extroverts or introverts. People are talking about being able to visually see an act or acts that they've paid good money to see. They have not paid money to watch a flag or flags, whether they are wielded by extroverts or otherwise. Now, as it happens at all the Glastonbury's that I have gone to (around the 25 number) I have always gone with some considerable extroverts - as in way over the top extroverts. Not one of them has ever brought a flag. Even in the days before mobile phones we didn't need a flag to find each other. Learn to triangulate. Get with the programme - flags are unnecessary and actually positively piss people off. So, ask yourself this question - do you or do you not give a fuck whether you piss other people off, or not? 

Actually, MrZigster complained that they were all narcissists and show-offs.  Which are extrovert traits - this seemed to be his secondary argument after them getting in his eye-line.  

Maybe, just maybe, not all extroverts are the same?  People express themselves in all sorts of ways - maybe your mates think to themselves "I'd love to take a flag this year, but Yogurt on a Stick might get all uppity about it".  I don't know ;)

And people have paid money to go to the Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts.  Nowhere in the rules does it say that the performers have to be on a stage and as we always say in the Glastonbury eFestival forums, "It's not all about the music!".  It's a place for the punters to "perform" as much as the musicians, artists, comedians, acrobats and theatre groups.  

And after asking myself "Do I or do I not give a fuck whether I piss other people of, or not?", I came to the conclusion that it is not for me to tell someone else how to express their creativity.  Banksy does it by vandalising buildings with spray paint.  Damien Hirst does it by putting thousands of flies in a glass case with severed cow heads.  Glastonbury punters do it by making flags for the amusement of their mates.  Whether I like it or not, is not important.  

At the end of the day, there are plenty of places where you can go and see your favourite bands without flags.  They tour all the time in venues with tiered seating and big screens.  You are going to a festival. Flags are synonymous with festivals of all types.  Music or not.  

Edit:  some words. 

Edited by Fork_UK
  • Upvote 3

Some ruke

3 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

I suspect the people who create their flags are creative and expressive in various other ways in their lives.  Whether that be artistic, joking with their mates, making memes, making music, or whatever. The best thing about Glastonbury is that people can be creative however they want, with flags, funny hats, fancy dress, dancing, face paint, or whatever they want, without feeling self-conscious.  Maybe the average accountant or police woman or builder can't wait for Glastonbury every year, because they can let their creative hair down in a place where they don't have to conform to their normal peer groups' usual social acceptabilities.  

Actually, MrZigster complained that they were all narcissists and show-offs.  Which are extrovert traits - this seemed to be his secondary argument after them getting in his eye-line.  

Maybe, just maybe, not all extroverts are the same?  People express themselves in all sorts of ways - maybe your mates think to themselves "I'd love to take a flag this year, but Yogurt on a Stick might get all uppity about it".  I don't know ;)

And people have paid money to go to the Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts.  Nowhere in the rules does it say that the performers have to be on a stage and as we always say in the Glastonbury eFestival forums, "It's not all about the music!".  It's a place for the punters to "perform" as much as the musicians, artists, comedians, acrobats and theatre groups.  

And after asking myself "Do I or do I not give a fuck whether I piss other people of, or not?", I came to the conclusion that it is not for me to tell someone else how to express their creativity.  Banksy does it by vandalising buildings with spray paint.  Damien Hirst does it by putting thousands of flies in a glass case with severed cow heads.  Glastonbury punters do it by making flags for the amusement of their mates.  Whether I like it or not, is not important.  

You're piling straw on thick and fast now.

1 hour ago, Fork_UK said:

suspect the people who create their flags are creative and expressive in various other ways in their lives.  Whether that be artistic, joking with their mates, making memes, making music, or whatever. The best thing about Glastonbury is that people can be creative however they want, with flags, funny hats, fancy dress, dancing, face paint, or whatever they want, without feeling self-conscious.  Maybe the average accountant or police woman or builder can't wait for Glastonbury every year, because they can let their creative hair down in a place where they don't have to conform to their normal peer groups' usual social acceptabilities.  

you called :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fork_UK said:

At the end of the day, there are plenty of places where you can go and see your favourite bands without flags.  They tour all the time in venues with tiered seating and big screens.  You are going to a festival. Flags are synonymous with festivals of all types.  Music or not.  

Edit:  some words. 

There are indeed plenty of other venues where you can see an act perform. However, what if it's your desire to see your act perform at Glastonbury. You know, the one you paid good money to see, as well as hear. What part of that are you not getting? What the fuck has Banksy or Damien Hirst got to do with the visual restrictions created by flags at Glastonbury? Why don't you mention astronauts in your argument for the allowance of flags? You may as well, because what you are spouting is a croc of shite, so why not? 

I've got no problem with punters 'performing'. I really respect a lot of them that do. However, I've only ever seen them performing in person in various fields without flags. Holding a flag does not make you a performer. Holding a flag in front of a stage at Glastonbury, resulting in people being 'denied' their pleasure means, and will always mean, that you are probably a selfish w*nker. I repeat, there is no life or death situation whereby it is necessary to hold up a flag in front of a stage at Glastonbury. Ergo - why do it when (according to the GFL figures mentioned a while back) that a whopping 45% of people don't want to see them. OK, it's 5% short of being half the people, but it does mean that nearly every other person that is around you doesn't want you to do what you are doing. I just cannot fathom how people just carry on and live with that fact. I can only think that it's selfishness on the whole, although I'll admit that some people possibly don't actually realise what they are doing.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mich1268 said:

What about asking Glastonbury to politely ask people to put their flags down when bands are playing but they are welcome to put them up between performances. Surely a compromise? 

That'd be good, if there's was any chance that people would actually do it. But then they wouldn't be able to spot themselves on TV when they got home.

37 minutes ago, incident said:

That'd be good, if there's was any chance that people would actually do it. But then they wouldn't be able to spot themselves on TV when they got home.

I think they would as Glastonbury could put up things on the screens asking them to put down when people perform. 

I've not been to G since 2000 when flags were much less ubiquitous than they are now, although i do think there were still more flags than at G than at other fests of the same time. I have also been to the IOW over the past few years where there have been a few peeps with flags but it is not on the same scale as G.

To this point, personally i have no issue with them, but i have also never had my view completely obscured by them. I could undertand that this would be annoying. I don't go right to the front for any acts and normally end up watching on a screen anyway so i am really interested to see if this year at G i get annoyed by the flags interrupting my view. 

From a visual perspective, flags look f*cking great on the TV and in photos and i would imagine it looks pretty special from the artists perspective as well. Has anyone ever asked if the artists like them or not? Flags are almost synonymous with the Pyramid stage today, isn't that part of what makes G so special, the unique creativity and diversity of the visual spectacle of the flags? I like the funny ones, the ones from different countries and counties and all the pride and smiley face ones too. Clearly flags are only a small part of it, but what makes Glastonbury so unique is the combination of all the little parts that make up the whole. I like the flags.

Full disclosure, never taken a flag to a festival in my life, i just think they look pretty is all. 

PEACE

3 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Big fence down the middle* of the Pymild field.

Flags on the left.

No flags on the right.

*or divide it 55% (flags)/45% (no flags).

and then split it up for tall people / short people / sitter downers / people with ridiculous hats 

23 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

I've not been to G since 2000 when flags were much less ubiquitous than they are now, although i do think there were still more flags than at G than at other fests of the same time. I have also been to the IOW over the past few years where there have been a few peeps with flags but it is not on the same scale as G.

To this point, personally i have no issue with them, but i have also never had my view completely obscured by them. I could undertand that this would be annoying. I don't go right to the front for any acts and normally end up watching on a screen anyway so i am really interested to see if this year at G i get annoyed by the flags interrupting my view. 

From a visual perspective, flags look f*cking great on the TV and in photos and i would imagine it looks pretty special from the artists perspective as well. Has anyone ever asked if the artists like them or not? Flags are almost synonymous with the Pyramid stage today, isn't that part of what makes G so special, the unique creativity and diversity of the visual spectacle of the flags? I like the funny ones, the ones from different countries and counties and all the pride and smiley face ones too. Clearly flags are only a small part of it, but what makes Glastonbury so unique is the combination of all the little parts that make up the whole. I like the flags.

Full disclosure, never taken a flag to a festival in my life, i just think they look pretty is all. 

PEACE

Glastonbury was special long before flags became a thing and flags are only predominant on televised stages.

Ergo they are not needed to create any specialness and serve mainly as silly vanity items that piss off a good number of folk.

If you must take a flag please stand at the back. This would probably make life easier for your friends that seem to suffer from an appalling lack of basic navigation skills too.