Acoustic Stage

brettredmayne

Just now, bombfrog said:

They are. I don't think you could ask for much more from a covers band.

1st time I saw them was Wolvo Civic, (which, sound quality-wise is one of my favourite ever venues) and they blew me away. I was rather stoned at the time too, sat down listening to the closest you'll get to The Beatles. It actually started to sound like they were miming over a record for a while. 

Loving the stages and their diversity this year. The acoustic only has a few people I'd like to see like Hawkwind, Marti Pellow and Keane but for others I bet this line up ticks a fair few boxes. Nice to see everyone being catered for ?

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

My thinking exactly. 

As for another stage, they did open the pyramid stage on the Sunday a few years back so that could happen again?

Actually thinking about it for a while I am sure that they are going to be appearing some where,  even Bros have a film out at the moment.

2 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Doesn’t matter, unless you’re 6’4” you’ll see fuck all anyway...

Can I press you on that insight? Thing is, it's not a tent I usually go to, and if I do it always seems uncomfortably crowded, with pretty crappy sound,  but I thought maybe I was just unlucky.  Are you saying its always like that, at least later on in the day? I am definitely not 6' 4" and due to working will be arriving late (at best) for the Hawkwind set, which despite the poor venue I feel a sort of absurd duty to see because, well, its Hawkwind at Glastonbury, maan. If its going to rammed with poor sightlines for short arse 5' 8" me, who is therefore going to see bugger all, maybe I'll slack off elsewhere.

24 minutes ago, sparkythetortoise said:

Can I press you on that insight? Thing is, it's not a tent I usually go to, and if I do it always seems uncomfortably crowded, with pretty crappy sound,  but I thought maybe I was just unlucky.  Are you saying its always like that, at least later on in the day? I am definitely not 6' 4" and due to working will be arriving late (at best) for the Hawkwind set, which despite the poor venue I feel a sort of absurd duty to see because, well, its Hawkwind at Glastonbury, maan. If its going to rammed with poor sightlines for short arse 5' 8" me, who is therefore going to see bugger all, maybe I'll slack off elsewhere.

Its not actually rammed and even if it is you can hear quite well from out side if they open all the tent flaps.

1 hour ago, sparkythetortoise said:

I haven't seen much in there and any memories of anything at Glastonbury (well if I'm honest, most things) are hazy at best. 

BUT I do remember going to see Art Garfunkel there.  I got there for the end of the act before (who's name escapes me, but I always seem to catch by default  EDIT - Paul Carrack - I had in mind Michael Carrick who I knew was the footballer!!), walked more or less to the front, cursing the chairs which were almost impossible to get though as they formed an almost impenetrable barrier, and being cursed by people who had blankets on the ground which I had dared to step on the edge of in my muddy boots (it was 2016).  Once the chairs were conquered, it was easy to get to about three rows from the front and I could see perfectly.  I am 5' 3".  

I've no idea what it would have been like arriving during the set though I think I heard it was rammed so this probably doesn't help you much but certainly I could see from towards the front.

Edited by Beerqueen
Remembered Paul Carrack's name!
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Divein said:

I thought chairs were banned inside the Acoustic? I swear I’ve seen signs around the edge or is it not enforced? 

Well they were definitely there in 2016.  I tripped over loads - mostly not too far in but there must have been something like 15 in a row with no gap in the pretty murky light in there.It was definitely like a completely different festival in there.  No, I'm remembering now all the chairs at the Pyramid.  But very different from other tents as I recall.

6 minutes ago, Divein said:

I thought chairs were banned inside the Acoustic? I swear I’ve seen signs around the edge or is it not enforced? 

Yes, but they literally line up on the perimeter of the tent, creating a wall

Closest I ever came to visiting the acoustic stage was when Ani DiFranco headlined on the Sunday. It was a terrible clash for me and I ended up skipping her for Justice at West Holts. Mainly because the area had a weirdly disconnected vibe to it. It didn’t feel part of Glastonbury somehow and the demographic was much older. It didn’t feel the right way to end a festival. 

Gotta say, that line up holds nothing for me but for I appreciate it’s not all about what I like personally so I’m happy that people who enjoy things like “The Voice of Wet Wet Wet” and “Keane” have somewhere else to shuffle off to. 

• Like 1

Like others have said, underwhelming. The Acoustic used to be my favourite stage, but not much there for me this year.

Grace Petrie is great indeed, and clashes permitting I would like to see Lucy Rose. Dervish are excellent, but have seen them loads of times (and if it is anything like Altan last time they will get a criminally short slot).

I was hoping for some last minute surprises (Lankum) but nothing really.

Only one I am really curious about is Albert Hammond. A friend of mine saw him last year and was raving it. I don’t want to be late for the Cure though....

5 hours ago, DeanoL said:

There seems to be some non-music stuff on: the Eavis thing and the crime writers? That’s new.

I saw John Cooper Clarke in there in 2010 so they've had non-music stuff before. The crime writers though is a shit covers band that usually plays literary festivals. Look at the nick of them, it's a mid-life crisis made flesh.

flcw-band-pic-credit-alan-veste1.jpg

12 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Just added these to the playlist - random musings:

Had no idea how cool Albert Hammond Jr's dad was.

Julie Felix is 80 years old.

Chuffed to see Rodney B on a 'main' stage.

That run of Dire Straits, Wet Wet Wet and Keane is a Magic FM listener's wet dream. Although they'll run a mile at Hawkwind who follow.

Nice to see some blues with Keb' Mo' and Eric Bibb.

ETC winner Marie White has a great voice. As do Lucy Rose, and (Ladies in Blues frontwoman) Clara Rose.

Hackney Colliery Band's Prodigy medley will be even better than last time, if that's possible.

This was very useful, thanks. Particularly Keb’ Mo’ and Eric Bibb - first blues on the line-up I can honk of (bar Jon Fairhurst)? Also Ladies in blues and Hackney Colliery Band. There are some highlights.

No must sees but I would be happy to see Rickie Lee Jones, Madelains Peyroux, Grace Petrie and Hawkwind any day of the week.

Just unlikely to happen with the alternatives on offer during the festival. 

Shame as I like the bar, tea tent and relaxed atmosphere in the field.

10 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I haven't seen much in there and any memories of anything at Glastonbury (well if I'm honest, most things) are hazy at best. 

BUT I do remember going to see Art Garfunkel there.  I got there for the end of the act before (who's name escapes me, but I always seem to catch by default  EDIT - Paul Carrack - I had in mind Michael Carrick who I knew was the footballer!!), walked more or less to the front, cursing the chairs which were almost impossible to get though as they formed an almost impenetrable barrier, and being cursed by people who had blankets on the ground which I had dared to step on the edge of in my muddy boots (it was 2016).  Once the chairs were conquered, it was easy to get to about three rows from the front and I could see perfectly.  I am 5' 3".  

I've no idea what it would have been like arriving during the set though I think I heard it was rammed so this probably doesn't help you much but certainly I could see from towards the front.

Thanks for that - tis as I expected - an early arrival as the Keane fans stream out the tent in horror at the prospect of hearing Sonic Attack would have been perfect. Sadly, at that point, I will at best be legging it from the Park Stage, having spent a few hours fishing around for crap that the  youth of today have generously left on the ground to give me something to do.

Had a similar experience last year and had to console myself with occasional glimpses of Francis Rossi's ponytail from stage right, grumpily wondering why I hadn't just stayed to watch Flaming Lips instead

Oh yes, this is not my thing at all.  However, I do recognise that there is a proportion of people who go to Glastonbury who love this sort of thing.  They probably stay in that area all weekend and have a lovely little time.

Grace Petrie was great supporting Frank Turner earlier this year, would be keen to see her again.   The new Lucy Rose album is one of the albums of the year for me as well.

Keane's PR team have really shat the bed with the reunion bookings, haven't they?  Isn't that basically the same slot that Tom Chaplin did solo anyway?