Acoustic Stage

brettredmayne

24 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Keane second from top on the acoustic is one of the most ridiculous bookings I've ever seen. The place will be absolutely rammed with everyone outside not getting a look in. Unbelievable stupidity. 

If Keane played in a two man tent the place wouldn't be rammed! 

3 minutes ago, Jah_Roots said:

Weirdly - whilst listening to the radio the other night they played Wet Wet Wet wishing well and I actually thought to myself what a good song it is and what a brilliant voice Marty Pellow has and wouldn’t it be great to see them at Glastonbury!

never in a million years thought it would happen!

I’d never pay to go and see him in the real world so I’m actually weirdly happy reading this!

note - I realise that this could very easy come across as a piss take but I assure you it’s not.

It is a good song as is Julia Says. 

I can't help but think it's purely a money thing...maybe the fallow year issue meaning no money gained last year or that they are putting money into new areas/ infrastructure. 

That said looking back over the last few years it's a similar tale. 

They tried to cover most bases and have got some genuinely great new artists so I would recommend checking them out. We can't blame them for a lack of funding. I would blame Glastonbury for the choice of Keane playing here though. Unless their choice to keep it lo-key. 

Edited by danbailey80

I think its canny good tbf, plenty of acts I wouldn't miond seeing, clashes permitting of course.

Hawkwind adds to my Saturday Night dilemma though I may be able to watch a bit then get over to the Other for a half and half with Chemical Brothers.

Aside from that John Illsey playing some Dire straights tunes, Ricky Lee Jones is class, Tom Speight is really good, always got time for Rodney Brannigan, I'm sure Albert Hammond will be revving up so Strokes secret set rumours just for the craic, Nick Lowe will be really good, Marti Pellow and Keane aren't my cup of tea but reckon they'll go down well and be packed. 

Bootleg Beatles are always good as is Eric Bibb. Very solid stage, few Ive never listened too as well so I can see me spending some time here depending on the clashes.

Bugger me - the only thing I want to see in that tent all weekend - Hawkwind - and I'm on shift. There was a weary inevitability to it, but I'm still gutted. Still, mustn't grumble, There's always Mark Billingham and Val McDermod murdering on a few tunes - good grief

...actually, Eric Bibb is pretty good, in fairness

27 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Acoustic tent 1995 - Evan Dando and Portishead

Acoustic Tent 2019 - Marti Pellow and Keane

Serious rethink needed. 

Doesn’t that just demonstrate that the stage has changed over the years, but not to the overall detriment of the festival? The 2019 equivalent of Portishead circa ‘95 will play the Park or John Peel instead.

4 minutes ago, Half Man Half Mattress said:

Doesn’t that just demonstrate that the stage has changed over the years, but not to the overall detriment of the festival? The 2019 equivalent of Portishead circa ‘95 will play the Park or John Peel instead.

Possibly. Yeah. I think you’re right, and the Park has taken some acts away from the Acoustic. And the Avalon too, I guess

I could be wrong but I wonder if the Acoustic stage is one of those stages with the old men bookers that Emily alluded too. It's the most underwhelming of the line up's announced so far. Even the highlights will most likely be bettered by other stages around the site. It seems like some acts appear here almost every year. 

57 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

And another thing, I can't say that I know much about their entire back catalogue but from the tunes I know I can't imagine a more un-acoustic band than Hawkwind

Quite accurate...except for their most recent album, which is apparently with some acoustic and some with orchestral backing.