Got any tipi tip-is? ⛺️

sophiemarie

Just now, Seldom Seen Kid said:

I can't think of any other way to celebrate it ? I'm 34 now, so my plan is by then I'll have a few quid saved so I can thoroughly enjoy it. 

just make sure it falls at the right time ... my birthday sometimes misses it ... next year its on the tue before :) 

13 hours ago, Seldom Seen Kid said:

I'm aiming for a tipi for my 40th, so I've got a few years to save up.  Definitely on the bucket list.

It is expensive, but the cost is a lot more manageable if you split it with five other people. (Or seven other people, if you get guest passes.)

11 hours ago, sophiemarie said:

It is expensive, but the cost is a lot more manageable if you split it with five other people. (Or seven other people, if you get guest passes.)

Sadly I don't have that many friends, so if I aim to pay for it myself if I do have people to share the cost with by then it'll be a pleasant surprise ?

22 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

just make sure it falls at the right time ... my birthday sometimes misses it ... next year its on the tue before :) 

My birthday is in January, so I can hedge my bets with the festival before or the festival after when it comes to tickets ?

I really enjoyed my stay in one of the tipis. I used the showers twice. The hot water didn’t work at times, so just swerved it on the last few days. Cafe was great although it did get busy. All the staff were really friendly. It was first time ever doing a festival of any type so I can’t compare it to any other accommodation type but the location was pretty amazing. There was a pretty mixed crowd staying in the area. I guess me and my friends probably fall in to the “influencer” crowd based on the way we look as a previous poster mentioned, although we did mix with other campers. The reception charging your phone was a blessing and I adored the little camp fire at night to chill with people. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Supernova. said: I guess me and my friends probably fall in to the “influencer” crowd based on the way we look as a previous poster mentioned, although we did mix with other campers. 

You influence what? Gravity? No doubt with your massively inflated perception of who or what you and your friends think are, you must have generated quite a gravitational pull. Though you/we did mix with other campers/the great unwashed. If there’s one “thing” or “phrase” that rubs me up the wrong way it is “Influencer”. Get to fuck??? and get over who, or what ever the fuck you think you are. I bid you good day?

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Seldom Seen Kid said:

Sadly I don't have that many friends, so if I aim to pay for it myself if I do have people to share the cost with by then it'll be a pleasant surprise ?

My birthday is in January, so I can hedge my bets with the festival before or the festival after when it comes to tickets ?

I reckon it'll be the birthday after... 2024 should be a fallow.

And ahem... you do have plenty of friends ;) Just not the ones that can afford a teepee.

27 minutes ago, Northern Soul said:

You influence what? Gravity? No doubt with your massively inflated perception of who or what you and your friends think are, you must have generated quite a gravitational pull. Though you/we did mix with other campers/the great unwashed. If there’s one “thing” or “phrase” that rubs me up the wrong way it is “Influencer”. Get to fuck??? and get over who, or what ever the fuck you think you are. I bid you good day?

Oh I’m certainly not an influencer at all, nor do I want to be, I’m just basically responding to the previous poster who mentioned there were “influencers” that didn’t mix etc with other people in the tipi area, and with it only being a small area it felt like he/she may have been referring to my friends and I. We tried to go as “extra” as possible so may have given that vibe. 

I don’t know why you’ve taken so much offence by my post because I was not rude or obnoxious by what I said. Also by “mixing with other campers” I meant the people in the tipi area. I wasn’t referring to “the great unwashed” as you so eloquently put it. 

Anyway - I enjoyed the area a lot. As I enjoyed the positive vibe of the whole festival. Will probably try and do worthy view next year though. 

Good day ?

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Supernova. said:

Oh I’m certainly not an influencer at all, nor do I want to be, I’m just basically responding to the previous poster who mentioned there were “influencers” that didn’t mix etc with other people in the tipi area, and with it only being a small area it felt like he/she may have been referring to my friends and I. We tried to go as “extra” as possible so may have given that vibe. 

I don’t know why you’ve taken so much offence by my post because I was not rude or obnoxious by what I said. Also by “mixing with other campers” I meant the people in the tipi area. I wasn’t referring to “the great unwashed” as you so eloquently put it. 

Anyway - I enjoyed the area a lot. As I enjoyed the positive vibe of the whole festival. Will probably try and do worthy view next year though. 

Good day ?

Ok. My apologies, I simply can’t abide the phrase or word “influencer/s” it counjours up in my mind people who are extremely self important. Nobody is self important, or certainly shouldn’t be. Donald Trump is self important but he’s a fucking idiot. Vladimir Putin is self important, and he’s a Nationalist. Etc etc. Worthy View....!! You will also draw criticism if you ensconce yourself there from a few on this board. I’ve stayed there twice though and it’s great?. Be selfless like HHDL who I seen in 2017. Selflessness is the key?. HHDL is (His Holyness (The) Dalai Lama.) x

• Upvote 1

You can buy tipis from Argos these days for quite cheap. I bought one a good few years ago for about £60.

It wasn't great in rain however, one particularly wet festival (possibly Gatecrasher Summer Soundsystem) it got so badly trashed and wet that we had to dump it, leaving it behind in the campsite. We weren't the only ones, the clean up operation for that festival must of been huge.

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Supernova. said:

We tried to go as “extra” as possible so may have given that vibe.

It sounds like you were having fun, so were definitely doing Glastonbury "the right way"!

What I mean by influencer-types is the kind of person who is styled to the absolute hilt in designer clothes (not an issue in itself), got grumpy if you happened to walk through their "backdrop", and wouldn't return a friendly "hello".

The tipi area is also deceptively large — there's bound to be a dickhead or two (and the odds of you being the dickheads I'm referring to are very, very low).

I hope you had a blast!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dulcificum said:

A tent that's vaguely conical is not a tipi. Also the point of a tipi is not really to buy a disposable one from a big box store.

really? Next you'll be saying a cheap tent isn't a proper tent, because you clearly know best.

My tipi wasn't disposable, it was supposed to last. I just couldn't be fucked taking it home from a festival that time as it was a bit battered by wind and rain.

• Upvote 1