Got any tipi tip-is? ⛺️

sophiemarie

Get up early to use the toilet, as there can be a queue.

Be first in line for the showers, or bring a chair to sit in while you wait.

The breakfast available from the café is pretty good.

You can use the reception tipi to charge your phone, make sure you label your cable & plug so people don't take it. Try and charge it before Sunday if you need to, as it's a free-for-all.

2 minutes ago, MJP said:

Be first in line for the showers, or bring a chair to sit in while you wait.

The breakfast available from the café is pretty good.

Awesome, thanks!

Do you remember the times that the showers are open? (Planning a tactical shower on the way back from a night/morning at the Stone Circle...)

2 minutes ago, sophiemarie said:

Awesome, thanks!

Do you remember the times that the showers are open? (Planning a tactical shower on the way back from a night/morning at the Stone Circle...)

Umm - It wasn't before 7am if I remember correctly. Maybe 8 or 9?

22 minutes ago, karaseen said:

Is it not in the same place?

image.png.2f97f823357c44fd26e8dfb7b03c7ce8.png

15 minutes ago, incident said:

Tipi Park is for hospitality types. I know quite a few artists playing the festival have stayed there over the years.

Tis official, I know nothing.

Please ignore my original post folks. As you were.

Make the most out of the showers the first 2 days, there the best I've used on site, but are far to busy to bother using from Thursday onwards, not sure what time they open but we went to go after straight after a night out early hours saturday morning and the que was already 20 people deep, with each tipi being allowed to bring 2 guests into the tipi field, heard the que was 2 hours long at some times.

Far easier and quicker to make the short walk Sams Magic Hat if you want to get a shower from Thursday onwards and not waste hours of your day.

Couldn't really tell you the best spot to choose a tipi, but with only 1 entrance to the field, I'd opt for one close but not too close to the entrace if you could, the area infront of the toilets was swamp like when we stayed so stay away frok there haha

Definitely bring ear plugs aswell the sound from The Park is really loud early morning.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m arriving by national express, will I have to walk through the long walk to the tipi area or can I go through the worthy view entrance?

also do we get a ticket for the tipi village? My boyfriend booked it for all of us I have no idea if I’m meant to take a voucher or anything like that? 

11 minutes ago, Supernova. said:

I’m arriving by national express, will I have to walk through the long walk to the tipi area or can I go through the worthy view entrance?

also do we get a ticket for the tipi village? My boyfriend booked it for all of us I have no idea if I’m meant to take a voucher or anything like that? 

From my email - 

Please note - you won't receive an actual ticket for your tipi booking. To check in at the Tipi Village Reception you will need your Festival tickets and booking confirmation email. You'll be asked to confirm the Lead Booking Name and the Booking Reference Number (above), and then you'll be shown to your accommodation

My top tip for tipi-dwellers ("tipsies"?): come and visit us up at Lost Horizon, the wonderful "hippy hangout" top-right of the Tipi Field. Pop in and we'll happily show you round. For a small admission fee* enjoy the scorching sauna, hot(-sh) showers, organic cafe, plunge pool, trampoline, live music and a unique safe space for unencumbered sunbathing. It's fabulous!

(*It was £10 all day in 2017 as I recall.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 3:33 PM, sophiemarie said:

How comfortable/tight is it with six people? Wondering if I need to dissuade everyone from bringing their air mattresses...

The biggest group I've had in a tipi is 5, which was pretty cosy - but only because one couple shared one of those massive double airbeds which easily used up a quarter of the floor space. That left the rest of us a bit squished up at night. So yep -  keep the crazy inflatable beds at home and it should still be pretty spacious and nice for everyone.

I've never tried the showers...as they were either closed or had crazy queues when I was going past.
I'm trying out the a 'shower in a can' option this year, which (if it works) ought to be pretty easy in a tipi as you can actually stand up! The days of rolling about in a tent throwing wet wipes all over the shop can have a year off.

Can I bump this? Where is this wicked looking map from? I used to use GlastoEarth but alas it's died.

On 5/8/2019 at 4:08 PM, Skelts said:

How come the tipi village is in neat rows and the tipi field right next to it just seems like random placement? What’s the difference?

7DD75054-EE59-4DBA-B015-E5BAE36035A7.jpeg

On 5/9/2019 at 10:26 AM, sophiemarie said:

Could you please tell me how you access this map?

• 2 weeks later...

Also my first year in a Tipi! (Dont know how I manage to snag one in the resale)

I have always taken a tent so is there any tips or any recommendations with the Tipis? Anything you should bring and are the showers worth it? are there going to be massive queues? 

I think we are going to go Thursday as im getting old and can't handle 5 nights b2b sessions. 

cheers

Cant wait now!

5 hours ago, fb86 said:

Also my first year in a Tipi! (Dont know how I manage to snag one in the resale)

I have always taken a tent so is there any tips or any recommendations with the Tipis? Anything you should bring and are the showers worth it? are there going to be massive queues? 

I think we are going to go Thursday as im getting old and can't handle 5 nights b2b sessions. 

cheers

Cant wait now!

The showers are definitely worth it upto Friday I'd say, but the ques are just stupid beyond that, you'll save yourselves hours if you just walk along to lost horizons or sams magic hat.

Definitely go the Wednesday, just have a quite one... 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Paging @sophiemarie - how was your tipi experience? I’m hoping to book one in October. Did you manage to get a good position, and does it really matter? 

Would love to stay in one. Such a great position but the price. Ouch. We bought a caravan last year and it was a game changer but I still look wistfully at the Tipi field.........

On 6/3/2019 at 4:42 PM, croiz said:

Can I bump this? Where is this wicked looking map from? I used to use

On 6/3/2019 at 4:42 PM, croiz said:

Can I bump this? Where is this wicked looking map from? I used to use GlastoEarth but alas it's died.

but alas it's died.

Erm, it literally says what it is. It's "GlastoMap".

And it's a 2016 IA capture of it:

image.thumb.png.a7d97365cbbfb1e24644aec36e001e2c.png

3 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Would love to stay in one. Such a great position but the price. Ouch. We bought a caravan last year and it was a game changer but I still look wistfully at the Tipi field.........

Same. That price for a tent you can stand up in, a rain catcher and a waterproof groundsheet. Oof. But the location, and the sense of staying in such an iconic emblem of the festival. I feel like it's something to do once, at least. A tipi for Glasto 50 is so compelling!

43 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Same. That price for a tent you can stand up in, a rain catcher and a waterproof groundsheet. Oof. But the location, and the sense of staying in such an iconic emblem of the festival. I feel like it's something to do once, at least. A tipi for Glasto 50 is so compelling!

How much do they go for? I've never even thought to have a look.

18 hours ago, kalifire said:

Paging @sophiemarie - how was your tipi experience? I’m hoping to book one in October. Did you manage to get a good position, and does it really matter? 

My tipi experience was awesome! Having access to showers was a godsend this year, and the queues really weren't that bad (bit over an hour at peak time, no wait during parts of the day).

I have to travel relatively far to get to the site — and there's limited busses available — so the biggest positive for me was avoiding the Tuesday night/Wednesday morning gate-wait-rush, yet still being able to camp in a group (there was a relatively large group of us).

Can't really say whether the position of your individual tipi makes much of a difference, as we were positioned somewhere in the middle.

But the overall location is amazing! I went way too hard on the Friday night, yet didn't need to roll my hungover bones out of bed to enjoy Vampire Weekend's secret set on The Park.

However, don't know how popular I was in the tipi field — when people left the taps running for an unnecessarily long time, I would lean over to turn them off (the taps, not the people). Most neighbours were really friendly, but there was definitely some influencer-types that didn't seem to engage with others/the ethos of the festival.

And that's my book report on the tipi field.

• Upvote 1