Got any tipi tip-is? ⛺️

sophiemarie

This is my third Glastonbury, and I've gotten really lucky and am joining some friends in a tipi. Has anybody stayed in the tipi village before, and have any tips?

• Is there a particular tipi we should aim for (we're getting there early on the Wednesday)? Or do you get what you're given?
  • Can you plant your own flag at the entrance to your tipi, or is this a no-no?
  • Are the shower facilities only open during certain hours?

Thanks! 

Edited by sophiemarie
Formatting

12 minutes ago, sophiemarie said:

This is my third Glastonbury, and I've gotten really lucky and am joining some friends in a tipi. Has anybody stayed in the tipi village before, and have any tips?

• Is there a particular tipi we should aim for (we're getting there early on the Wednesday)? Or do you get what you're given?
  • Can you plant your own flag at the entrance to your tipi, or is this a no-no?
  • Are the shower facilities only open during certain hours?

Thanks! 

Stayed in a tipi a few years ago, it was great. Pretty sure it was get what you’re given, I don’t remember being offered a choice. We did put our flag outside so we knew which one was ours.

Yes to a flag,

Yes to showers but queues are always big in the day irrespective of time of day but if you've got 30 mins / 45 mins then its a nice to have. 

Location wise. I''ve always been allocated one but then we come on Thursday. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rostro said:

If you arrive early enough, you can choose. they allocate them as people arrive. 

Does this essentially mean the best positioned ones go to people who get there first, or are they all pretty well positioned? Is there a Tipi hierarchy?

Edited by kalifire

Just now, kalifire said:

Does this essentially mean the best positioned ones go to people who get there first?

I guess so but  I think that people probably have different ideas about which the best positioned ones are. they are all well spaced out from each other so the only real considerations are whether you want a short walk from the entrance to the field. in that year, some friends also had one and we wanted them to be together - so that was a consideration. 

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Does this essentially mean the best positioned ones go to people who get there first, or are they all pretty well positioned? Is there a Tipi hierarchy?

That's what I'm also wondering! Which is the ultimate tipi? One closer to The Park / toilets / a mystery attraction? 

19 minutes ago, sophiemarie said:

How comfortable/tight is it with six people? Wondering if I need to dissuade everyone from bringing their air mattresses...

There's room for six single airbeds round the outside (just)

You get allocated on arrival, but if you want to move just ask reception, they're happy to if they can

Ideal (imo) is about 5 in from the right (facing up Pennard hill) about 2/3rds of the way back. Not too near the loos not too far. Can peek out and see the size of the shower queue in the morning. Close enough to the cafe that you can easily carry multiples teas back of a morning.

I miss my pre-kids disposable income days when I could afford a tipi :(

3 minutes ago, ogriff said:

There's room for six single airbeds round the outside (just)

You get allocated on arrival, but if you want to move just ask reception, they're happy to if they can

Ideal (imo) is about 5 in from the right (facing up Pennard hill) about 2/3rds of the way back. Not too near the loos not too far. Can peek out and see the size of the shower queue in the morning. Close enough to the cafe that you can easily carry multiples teas back of a morning.

I miss my pre-kids disposable income days when I could afford a tipi :(

They are in a different place this year , just above the Park with the Bimble Inn next to it.

image.png

Edited by Nobody Interesting

Just now, Skelts said:

How come the tipi village is in neat rows and the tipi field right next to it just seems like random placement? What’s the difference?

The "Tipi Village" is paid for accommodation with them all supplied and assembled by a company.

The Tipi Field is more along the lines of a community of Tipi users who bring their own.

@incident posted this a few years ago but it won't let me quote:

The "Tipi Field" is the collection of Tipis nearest Kings Meadow. It's basically for people who live in their own Tipis and bring them to the Festival. The field is open to the public to visit and has a stage in it (Ancient Futures) and a few other things of interest.

The "Tipi Village" is next door, and is where all the "for hire" Tipis are located, the ones that go on sale in a couple of weeks. It's fenced off and I think access is only to people who've rented there. Details will be on the Festival web-site.

The "Tipi Park" is behind The Park, and is one of the hospitality options - don't think the General Public can rent the Tipis there.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Good question and I have no idea - I read ages ago it was moving so assumed the Tipi Park was the new place. If not, what is the Tipi Park?

Tipi Park is for hospitality types. I know quite a few artists playing the festival have stayed there over the years.

1 minute ago, incident said:

The "Tipi Village" is paid for accommodation with them all supplied and assembled by a company.

The Tipi Field is more along the lines of a community of Tipi users who bring their own.

ha...beat me to it

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Cheers, makes sense.  I stumbled into the tipi field in 2017 and joined a camp fire they had going, nice chilled out little area