"Festival Tent" pushback

HalfAnIdiot

Good to see some pushback on the marketing of 'festival tents' here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48184756

Boomtown certainly see to be leading the way with their approach. 

Some of the comments from punters are disappointing and the levels of ignorance a little shocking. 

Hopefully we'll see some really proactive efforts from G to push things forward this year. I've always thought they could make more effort to get the 'take your sh*t home' message across.

1 minute ago, doogie said:

Sadly, the eviction this year of Camplight makes it look like they're not that serious about providing affordable solutions to the problem

Very surprised about the lack of camplight at this years glasto. I'm doing camplight at boomtown and GF could really push this on a bit more.

1 minute ago, doogie said:

Sadly, the eviction this year of Camplight makes it look like they're not that serious about providing affordable solutions to the problem

Conversely, I think it shows the exact opposite.

Camplight was a big advert right in the middle of one of the most popular camping fields - Leave your tent, and someone will reuse it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m surprised they haven’t done an eco bond scheme like bestival had. Something new could be you could get a token when you bring a tent in and get money back when you leave with a tent. Same for rubbish bags. 

Edited by Lucy92

4 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

I’m surprised they haven’t done an eco bond scheme like bestival had. Something new could be you could get a token when you bring a tent in and get money back when you leave with a tent. Same for rubbish bags. 

Can't help thinking some people would just dump them in the car parks. Some people are shit.

6 minutes ago, incident said:

Camplight was a big advert right in the middle of one of the most popular camping fields - Leave your tent, and someone will reuse it.

I think Glasto's biggest mistake was ever pushing the idea that if you left your tent it would be recycled.

Hopefully an appearance by David Attenborough will have some impact. To be honest though it amazes me how many people say the festival should do more. Whatever happened to personal responsibility and just being a decent person. I think the messages are out there and are re-enforced by the festival every year. I've never left anything behind that couldn't go into some form of recycling. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, incident said:

I can see how a few might think that, and maybe they got peoples' backs up by taking space right in the middle of Pennards.  But given the push towards travelling by coaches/train, there will surely be increasing demand for pre-erected accommodation.

When the only pre-erected alternatives are Worthy View/Tangerine Fields at £300+, it's not surprising people opt for a sub-£50 'festival tent' and abandon it after 5 days.

Surely the solution is more on-site pre-erected tents, but in a less popular and more practical location (e.g. nearer Gate A)?

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

I think Glasto's biggest mistake was ever pushing the idea that if you left your tent it would be recycled.

Yep - and from what I remember they've only really said that once, ages ago, and just failed to make it as clear as that they still needed people to take the damn things down and to a collection point. It's haunting them to this day.

Since then people cling to the idea that it happens magically, as if trying to salvage a half broken 20 quid from tesco tent with the bag missing is even viable. Having Camplight bang in the middle of Pennards proudly shouting "we reclaim and recycle your tents" doesn't help at all - well intentioned, but ultimately counter productive.

Just now, bombfrog said:

Can't help thinking some people would just dump them in the car parks. Some people are shit.

This is the issue Reading council face - they are against such a scheme at Reading because they know that the result would be tents and crap dumped everywhere else.

Also, at Reading, the key reasons tents are left: (1) the crowd tends to be reasonably wealthy 16-18 year olds who are yet to be fully responsible; (2) tents get utterly fucked - wee, puke - from said youngsters grossing each other out. The tents are garbage at the end of it.

Education, on entrance and during the fest from respected people is the only way forward. Hopefully the youthful nature of the extinction rebellion will help.

Just now, doogie said:

I can see how a few might think that, and maybe they got peoples' backs up by taking space right in the middle of Pennards.  But given the push towards travelling by coaches/train, there will surely be increasing demand for pre-erected accommodation.

When the only pre-erected alternatives are Worthy View/Tangerine Fields at £300+, it's not surprising people opt for a sub-£50 'festival tent' and abandon it after 5 days.

Surely the solution is more on-site pre-erected tents, but in a less popular and more practical location (e.g. nearer Gate A)?

Hold on a second - Camplight (even going by their own words) were offered space elsewhere - it was their decision not to move and ultimately it's down to them that they're not attending.

We used one tent from '04 to '17 but it was finally falling apart. We replaced it two years ago with a new one that was really badly designed and leaked from the outer into the inner no matter how much we tried to pin it up correctly. Such a shame but we're looking at getting a new one again this year and donating the "new but a bit leaky" one to a local charity which takes them to refugee camps. Unless anyone can think of a better idea?

1 minute ago, incident said:

Hold on a second - Camplight (even going by their own words) were offered space elsewhere - it was their decision not to move and ultimately it's down to them that they're not attending.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Think another issue is friends pitching in to buy a tent for a festival and then nobody wanting to look like they are wanting to bring the tent home for fear of looking like the tightwad of the group rather than the socially responsible one of the group. 

• Upvote 1

“Jordan Bellamy, 23, has gone to Reading Festival a couple of times and admits he always leaves his tent behind.

"After a whole weekend of dancing I'm so tired, and the thought of carrying the tent back was daunting as my legs were killing.

"It's quite a sad time to be honest at the end of the festival - you get the festival blues don't you?””

Jordan is a fucking bellend.

• Upvote 20

We have always bought a decent tent and would not think of leaving it.

Most tents are left because people are lazy and selfish - some of the reasons given by the people in the article definitely come across like that. Take some responsibility and pack up your tent and take it with you. It is not that hard to do, even at the end of a festival

What I don't understand is that everybody has got their stuff on to the ste on the Wednesday, including the queues so why is it any harder to take it back? If you bought any drinks or food with you then you're going to be lighter on the way back anyway and taking a tent down is always easier than putting it up. It's just laziness.

22 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

no sign of the worthy warriors scheme this year which is a little disappointing ....thought this might have got expanded as its was purely voluntary :( 

Agree, the Volunteers were really up for making a difference and I’d certainly sign up again if it happens. I believed there was a difference so what has the festival to lose by keeping it going? 

Just now, Avalon_Fields said:

Agree, the Volunteers were really up for making a difference and I’d certainly sign up again if it happens. I believed there was a difference so what has the festival to lose by keeping it going? 

The cleanup time and cows back in the fields was way quicker ... so yes nothing to loose .... poorly organised though the campsite stewards had no idea about it ... but I had definitely already volunteered by this point  :( .... 

10 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

What I don't understand is that everybody has got their stuff on to the ste on the Wednesday, including the queues so why is it any harder to take it back? If you bought any drinks or food with you then you're going to be lighter on the way back anyway and taking a tent down is always easier than putting it up. It's just laziness.

Whilst I agree with the general point you're making, pop-up tents are far harder to take down than put up.

39 minutes ago, incident said:

IIRC, Camplight was offered a space *outside* the fence this year.