Eco campsite patrol at Boom/ single use tents

Old_Johno

If anyone hasn’t seen the news yet...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48184756

Near the end of the article:

“For those heading to Boomtown Festival in Winchester in August, be prepared for a near zero-tolerance policy when it comes to abandoning tents.
Emily Ford, the festival's sustainability coordinator, says there will be a campsite patrol at the festival.
The Eco Camp plans to create a zero waste space with people on hand to help festival goers keep the site clean. 
Emily says: "If people aren't living up to our ethos there'll be a warning system and if people breach it, we may ask them to leave the Eco Camp."

Not sure how kicking people out for abandoning their tent will work as presumeably they’re already leaving, but if it gets people talking about the issues then all the better as far as I’m concerned. Maybe be aimed at general tidyness throughout the festival? 

It sounds to me like there might be a designated "eco camp" area, where those camping in that zone agree to not drop any litter, and take their tents home etc. So maybe you only get kicked out of the "eco camp"??

Often these news articles can get a few of the exact details muddled up.

Boomtown have been on quite a media blitz today, with multiple media outlets picking up on this story. They even got interviewed on Victoria Derbyshire this morning!

They announced they are banning single use plastics across the whole site yesterday, and today they are taking aim at tents being left behind. This is supposedly all part of "green week", so perhaps "eco camp" will feature in greater detail later this week...

Sounds similar to the Citizen T scheme that TITP had a good few years ago, lasted a couple of years. Was one field that you 'signed up' to and you had to keep it tidy... don't think it took off that well IIRC.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

This thread is very confusing, as the title suggests you are talking about an entirely different festival in Portugal, yet the content of your post is about Boomtown, in Winchester U.K.

You're confused about a thread with the word 'Boom' in the title in a forum about Boomtown? 

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2019 at 12:46 PM, Old_Johno said:

If anyone hasn’t seen the news yet...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48184756

Near the end of the article:

“For those heading to Boomtown Festival in Winchester in August, be prepared for a near zero-tolerance policy when it comes to abandoning tents.
Emily Ford, the festival's sustainability coordinator, says there will be a campsite patrol at the festival.
The Eco Camp plans to create a zero waste space with people on hand to help festival goers keep the site clean. 
Emily says: "If people aren't living up to our ethos there'll be a warning system and if people breach it, we may ask them to leave the Eco Camp."

Not sure how kicking people out for abandoning their tent will work as presumeably they’re already leaving, but if it gets people talking about the issues then all the better as far as I’m concerned. Maybe be aimed at general tidyness throughout the festival? 

The people interviewed in this article sound like the biggest bellends

"waah my tents wet and im all depressed because the festivals over so i cant be bothered"

grow up for fuck sake

Apparently the eco camp is going to be the area which is the most notorious place for outright fucking mess and chavvy bellends to run amok, beside sector 5, I think I read. Basically the shitpit downtown where all the messy teenagers who like drum and bass tend to camp. So these 'eco warriorz' will really have their work cut out. Good luck telling people to move because they have trashed their campsite!

14 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Just thought I'd post the weather... Hope itt changes ah

https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/winchester/so23-9/august-weather/323585?monyr=8/1/2019

doesn't seem too bad. A bit of rain is actually ok as it stops the place getting too dusty and cools everything down which is handy if everyone is doing pills. As long as the ground stays grassy and doesn't turn to mud, we're laughing.

doesn't seem too bad. A bit of rain is actually ok as it stops the place getting too dusty and cools everything down which is handy if everyone is doing pills. As long as the ground stays grassy and doesn't turn to mud, we're laughing.

Truth old son truth 

As long as the ground stays grassy and doesn't turn to mud, we're laughing.

So much this, there's only so much sitting to do at Boomtown anyway

The threatening low seems rather complicated and unstable. This morning's ECMWF has it doing an entirely different dance to yesterday. Could be anything by Wednesday - might even just blow itself out - but it doesn't appear to be carrying much of the miserable stuff so no big worry.