Other stage Sunday

Ian Gunpowder

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

:ph34r: must be still pissed. 

Mind I knew none of the words she sang either. Ended up going to see capaldi instead. 

Ha, hope you had a good one mate.

It did strike me that how obsessed the crowd were with her.  Kept panning in on people singing every word and crying

Was just thinking this, waching the BBC coverage, there's a lot of people crying, lot of people absolutely into the BE set. Think she's really touching people, lot of devotion there, way more than Miley Cyrus. Very different type of intensity. Makes sense to put her on the other, think she'll draw quite a crowd. As I understand it, the Other stage Sunday lineup wasn't anywhere near fixed a couple of weeks ago, really smart move to bump her up to the Other from the JP.

4 minutes ago, sisco said:

Ha, hope you had a good one mate.

It did strike me that how obsessed the crowd were with her.  Kept panning in on people singing every word and crying

Cheers! Although feeling quite old and annoyed by the young ones with no Glastonbury spirit drove me to drink more :lol:

yep lots of emotional people singing along to every word and me looking very confused as to what the hell was going on. 

I watched the tv show last night, being unaware (apart from what I've read on here) of Billie Eilish.  Now granted, it's not for me and I'll not be watching her, but I thought she made Miley look very conservative. It definitely looked like a changing of the guard moment. There was something new going on and it wasn't Miley. 

I literally had no idea who she was until the Glastonbury line up was announced. Same with Rex Orange County.

Sign of age (and having young kids) I guess. I’m used to not knowing plenty of acts on the line up but this is the first time I have never heard of what might be two headliners.

(shouts at cloud)

4 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I watched her set at Big Weekend on TV last night and I have to admit I was shocked how many people knew every single word of every song. Granted it is a young crowd but even some of the older people they showed seemed to know them, too.

I knew she had gotten big but I had no idea it was that big. She could definitely sub. Also worth noting she absolutely smashed it, too.

I noticed that as well, she is really big and the crowd just sung along with her.  All I managed was miley singing Jolene! 

Just watched the BW set, and while it was definitely impressive (amazing she's only 17) and those fans knew every word (very loudly) there is absolutely no way that is a typical Glastonbury crowd. Very young and largely female. Obviously this by no mean says she won't sub and probably could, but I just think slotting her in as sub based on that crowd (not the performance) is pushing it a bit. I stand to be proved wrong in a few days!

4 minutes ago, briddj said:

Just watched the BW set, and while it was definitely impressive (amazing she's only 17) and those fans knew every word (very loudly) there is absolutely no way that is a typical Glastonbury crowd. Very young and largely female. Obviously this by no mean says she won't sub and probably could, but I just think slotting her in as sub based on that crowd (not the performance) is pushing it a bit. I stand to be proved wrong in a few days!

At times like this we have to remember Jake Bugg headlined it recently. 

18 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

I watched the tv show last night, being unaware (apart from what I've read on here) of Billie Eilish.  Now granted, it's not for me and I'll not be watching her, but I thought she made Miley look very conservative. It definitely looked like a changing of the guard moment. There was something new going on and it wasn't Miley. 

Same thoughts over here.

Thought I’d see what all the fuss was about, she had the crowd in the palm of her hand. Emotions were high throughout. Not my bag really but if there’s nothing else on at the time I’d probably check her out, out of curiosity.

The Miley show was a bit of a wet weekend in comparison.

2 hours ago, nikkic said:

Same thoughts over here.

Thought I’d see what all the fuss was about, she had the crowd in the palm of her hand. Emotions were high throughout. Not my bag really but if there’s nothing else on at the time I’d probably check her out, out of curiosity.

The Miley show was a bit of a wet weekend in comparison.

Am I the only one who thinks she has a very weak voice? You could barely hear her. I thought the crowd were clearly devoted fans and loved it but she didn't win me over. Voice is all a bit too breathy and weak for me. 

Fair play to her though if she can get a crowd like that she does deserve a high spot. I just won't be in the crowd. 

54 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Am I the only one who thinks she has a very weak voice? You could barely hear her. I thought the crowd were clearly devoted fans and loved it but she didn't win me over. Voice is all a bit too breathy and weak for me. 

Fair play to her though if she can get a crowd like that she does deserve a high spot. I just won't be in the crowd. 

I don’t know that her voice is weak, I just thought the sound production was shockingly bad, which always seems to be the case with any bbc music broadcast.

It’s like they have the levels all wrong, with the vocals drowned out by the instruments. 

Can you tell I’m a sound engineer with all the technical jargon I’m using? ?

Disagree on the broader point on her music as ’something new’. To me it falls into line with soundcloud rap and merely represents emo’s second coming. Lyrics all about alluding to suicide and taking antidepressants. If these are the artists that kids are relating to right now then i ask: is it so tough to be young these days?