Other stage Sunday

Ian Gunpowder

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Oh them good old not so secret secret sets... the JP field will have to be closed again if its there...

Would make much more sense to give them Prodigy's slot. But as long as they are on I will be happy. 

Reckon they’ll throw them off between Janet Jackson and Liam Gallagher to keep the crowd down

4 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yo @SG87 you seem pretty resolute in your info on this. Any chance it could be off?

Courteeners headlining Other in 2019 is quite a dull choice on the face of it, but as everyone's said, alleviates clash worries for those of us not into the band.

But not for those of us that don't currently have a Sunday night headliner :(

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yo @SG87 you seem pretty resolute in your info on this. Any chance it could be off?

Courteeners headlining Other in 2019 is quite a dull choice on the face of it, but as everyone's said, alleviates clash worries for those of us not into the band.

If Courteeners were lined up to sub Prodigy originally like we’ve been told then I guess it makes sense to just have them bumped up, especially with Billie Eilish also being moved up stages to fill the gap. Underwhelming Other headliner but I’m sure they won’t struggle to pull a crowd vs. The Cure.

35 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

But not for those of us that don't currently have a Sunday night headliner :(

If you don't dig The Cure or Janelle Monae then a night wandering the site and pondering your choices can only do you good imho 

Yeah, exactly that. Easiest option, from what we know. Will do well, get all the guitar lads out in force, but not really earned the bump since they were third down on Sunday last edition.

With someone like Tame Impala or Vampire Weekend, it makes sense coming down from their moment in the Pyramid sun to fill a headline slot, shows they're just about on the way down from a peak, but only slightly. Similar story with The Flaming Lips or Bloc Party in years past. Same could be said of Foals, were they to do it – though evidence suggests they won't.

For Courteeners, read Alt-J last time. Just a bit uninspired as a pick.

I still can’t believe Alt-J headlined the Other. They’re absolutely shite. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

With Emily wanting more Female artists I'd be there in a flash if she could pull Pink, Gaga or Sia out of the bag - I'd skip the cure for any of those (Pink was amazing at V and the highlight of a pretty crap weekend).

11 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

If you don't dig The Cure or Janelle Monae then a night wandering the site and pondering your choices can only do you good imho 

To be fair, I've seen The Cure and really enjoyed it. Just not overly worried about seeing them again. 

Have quite enjoyed what I've heard of Janelle so far but again, it's not a dead cert. 

I just want Orbital in JP I think. Otherwise I'll probably hit JM for a while and if I'm not into it go for a wander. 

12 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Went to the SE corner at 8pm on the Sunday last time. Was great having a decent walk around place.

5 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Courteeners headlining Other in 2019 is quite a dull choice on the face of it, but as everyone's said, alleviates clash worries for those of us not in the band.

FTFY

How is she handling the daylight @jparx?

Just fine tbh. Would absolutely be better in darkness, but she's smashing the set regardless. This really feels like a watershed performance. She's really tapped in to something.

3 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Still would be amazed if she's any lower than a sub. Even 3rd would feel very conservative.

She could easily headline it. Depends what G thought about her a few months ago, though. If they were booking the lineup now, I think she'd get the spot. 

17 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Bookers understand the trajectory of artists. It's why Rex OC and Stormzy are headlining their respective stages when, if you took a sample poll from here about the possibility of either months before we found out, most forumers would say you're out your mind.

Eilish is enormous, easily the most talked about / biggest breakthrough act of the year worldwide. Strong shades of Lady Gaga's first few months. For Emily to come out and specifically say "yeah there's no way she could play JP now, far too big" a month or so ago, seems to suggest they're staking a bet on that rise continuing. Sub just feels appropriate.

Could very well be a Rag N Bone Man / Jessie J type needless early afternoon roadblock, but you have to hope they've learned their lesson...

I mean, Gaga was still 3rd down when she played in 2009, a full year after her debut came out. 3rd or 4th down wouldnt be too out of place imo

EDIT: On the other hand I guess Stormzy subbed in 2017 after his debut. I dunno, how many peoples mums have heard of Billie Eilish?

Edited by Mattymooz

If they only recently decided to move her to Other from JP then it may well be that the other sub and headliner were already booked, in which case she would have to play lower than that. 

Although my person guess is the original other sub has been bumped up to replace prodigy and Billie has been slotted in at sub

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I think the issue with Billie is that every young person is going to be there.  If she’s up against Miley...  she will have a bigger crowd than Miley. She’s probably one of the biggest acts on the lineup.

There ain't that many young people there for it to be an issue. 

I watched her set at Big Weekend on TV last night and I have to admit I was shocked how many people knew every single word of every song. Granted it is a young crowd but even some of the older people they showed seemed to know them, too.

I knew she had gotten big but I had no idea it was that big. She could definitely sub. Also worth noting she absolutely smashed it, too.

I think she could easily headline it. I don’t see why not. Exactly the sort of thing Glastonbury would do as well- giving an up and coming act a chance with a big gig.

Im guessing whether they do or not will depend on whether they had an other headliner already booked 

10 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I don't think she'll be up against Miley. That would be something like sixth down the Other which, to echo everyone above, would be an pretty weird call. Glasto will be pitching for "a moment" and locking in the biggest new star on the planet early, then very publicly backing her as she skyrockets, does just that.

This has Sunday sundown written all over it.

Yeah Sunday sub imo

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I watched her set at Big Weekend on TV last night and I have to admit I was shocked how many people knew every single word of every song. Granted it is a young crowd but even some of the older people they showed seemed to know them, too.

I knew she had gotten big but I had no idea it was that big. She could definitely sub. Also worth noting she absolutely smashed it, too.

I knew fucking none of it :lol: other than wrecking ball. Everyone knew all of the words to some of them. Party in the USA I must have looked a right grumpy twat as i seemed the only one not singing along. To be fair to her she did well and smashed it even with playing some new songs within a festival set  (usually a risky move) 

4 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I knew fucking none of it :lol: other than wrecking ball. Everyone knew all of the words to some of them. Party in the USA I must have looked a right grumpy twat as i seemed the only one not singing along. To be fair to her she did well and smashed it even with playing some new songs within a festival set  (usually a risky move) 

He’s talking about Billie Elish