West Holts Announced

Guy Incognito

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Highly recommend trying The Comet is Coming and BCUC. Both sound awesome on record.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Currently looking very possible for my set of the festival. SOOOOOO excited for this one.

Ben

Just checking out some live footage of BCUC. They're great! The Comet is Coming was also on my list, but looking at the times from last year, are they not going to clash with IDLES? If that 6pm Park info is right....

BCUC into IDLES sounds great though ?

Just now, bennyhana22 said:

I'm sure you're right, but it's all about managing expectations...!!

:)

Ben

Yes whether she wants to perform all weekend is another matter but she told the crowd in 2016 that she played the sets on Thursday night to get her and her mates into the festival. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sasperella said:

Just checking out some live footage of BCUC. They're great! The Comet is Coming was also on my list, but looking at the times from last year, are they not going to clash with IDLES? If that 6pm Park info is right....

BCUC into IDLES sounds great though ?

It does seem that TCIC/Idles clash is looking very possible. If it comes to pass, it's TCIC for me. I saw Idles in the hottest mosh pit I've ever been in at Boomtown. I'd be very happy to see them again (and may well try to see them on Truth), but given I already have, it's the massive sub bass and sax boys for me this time...

Ben

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

It does seem that TCIC/Idles clash is looking very possible. If it comes to pass, it's TCIC for me. I saw Idles in the hottest mosh pit I've ever been in at Boomtown. I'd be very happy to see them again (and may well try to see them on Truth), but given I already have, it's the massive sub bass and sax boys for me this time...

Ben

Just aquainting myself with the comet is coming and onto Blood of the past at the moment, (sitting at my desk, headphone on) .......

4 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

I've seen them twice before, I just love them so much! I guess it might depend on if they play Thursday on Truth and if I've managed to squeeze in to see it

So many clashes already!

Just now, Xeph1995 said:

Idles sound shit to my ears and I like heavy music.

They're really 'not'.

They're loud and rough enough to satisfy the punk tick box, but musically intelligent enough to satisfy the music snob tickbox! Their lyrics are interesting on a social and political commentary level and they seem, by all accounts, to give a shit, and not just be artifice and all surface.

I'm not a super fan, in any way, but they're pretty bloody good, and amazing as a live band.

Ben

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

As perhaps the only person on this board who isn't remotely arsed about Idles, this presents no problem for me :) 

Its an odd one. Im actually not a huge fan of their music, as in I don't really listen to them, but Ive seen them live twice and they've been incredible. 

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Haha yes, I remember you saying before that you didn't see the point of them 

2 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Idles sound shit to my ears and I like heavy music.

Like they're fine I guess, but I couldn't get excited about them. They're not doing anything new or interesting to my ears. But if it removes clashes then all good!

18 hours ago, Dukeicon said:

There will be relay speakers in the WH Field now.

Thank god!  After waiting 20 years to see Avalanches and not being able to hear them last year, this will be a godsend for my Jon Hopkins night!

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Like they're fine I guess, but I couldn't get excited about them. They're not doing anything new or interesting to my ears. But if it removes clashes then all good!

I am also an Idles agnostic. Alright but I can't understand the adoration

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I just don't understand how people can tolerate the vocals on the tracks. The frontman sounds more like a drunk guy shouting at a pub than anything than a competent singer. Maybe it works better in a live atmosphere, but I don't see the appeal on record.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

They remind me of deafhaeven a band hipsters adore but people who actually like their respective genres dont. 

Edited by Xeph1995

To be honest, the problem with this whole new wave of ‘mullets and songs about car parks’ post-punk revivalists, aside from the suspicion they’re being algorithmically generated to ensure a steady stream of Observer Music Monthly profiles about ‘The Return of Protest Music!’, is that they’ve all very much been headed off at the pass by Sleaford Mods.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

They remind me of deafhaeven a band hipsters adore but people who actually like their respective genres dont. 

I don't think I have enough time to be a hipster, but I'd agree that they're not actually a band for fans of the genre.  It's been a long time since a heavy band has appealed to me, but I like IDLES.  I'm not clued up enough about current punk to know if they're doing anything different to their contemporaries, but I'm not aware of any heavily left wing political punk bands for decades.

• Upvote 1