Best & Worst Glastonbury Area

Deadendfriends8

Regarding Silver Hayes.

When it was Dance Village and had Dance East and Dance West I preferred it to Sonic. Sonic really is an utter catastrophe of shitness. 

Also I used to love the coloured Stone Hedge. It needs the alleys or something else resurrected from the SE corner. 

Surely it's known and someone just needs to admit they've run out of ideas and they need to help. 

That said, if this was a rave/ dance forum you'd get a lot more people saying they like it I'm sure...

• Upvote 1

Problem with SH is there’s just no vertical interest. No trees, almost nothing beyond it, and it’s approached from the flat wilderness of the Other Stage. So the ugliness of Sonic dominates the landscape, I don’t feel any joy walking towards it in the same way as a cabaret style tent. 

Some of the other venues are cool. I love The Blues, and if it were inside the SE corner I/we would probably rave about it (and in it). 

21 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

That said, if this was a rave/ dance forum you'd get a lot more people saying they like it I'm sure...

Not too sure about that theres enough of us on here that like to rave the night away that still cant find anything positive to say about SH.

23 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

I used to love the coloured Stone Hedge

I think a few more installations like this would break up the bleakness of it and certainly help.

18 minutes ago, caballosblancos said:

Problem with SH is there’s just no vertical interest. No trees, almost nothing beyond it, and it’s approached from the flat wilderness of the Other Stage. So the ugliness of Sonic dominates the landscape, I don’t feel any joy walking towards it in the same way as a cabaret style tent. 

Some of the other venues are cool. I love The Blues, and if it were inside the SE corner I/we would probably rave about it (and in it). 

I think thats what it is, if you like the music or not is subjective but the actual area seems so barren and empty. 

36 minutes ago, dccool said:

Not too sure about that theres enough of us on here that like to rave the night away that still cant find anything positive to say about SH.

Indeed.

I used to DJ house music in the 90s and have always loved all kinds of dance music so I SHOULD love Silver Hayes. I know I'm getting a bit old now but I still listen to lots of electronic music but none of it seems to be represented in Silver Hayes. They don't have a big stage like they used to so all big acts have to go to other areas and whomever books the acts is clearly trying hard to be "on-trend" and maybe trying to deliberately steer clear of booking acts which are too popular/well known?

If I ran the area I'd keep lots of the smaller stuff but I'd bring back a big dance tent and perhaps try to book any of the following....

• MK
  • Camelphat
  • Annie Mac
  • M83
  • Orbital
  • Disclosure
  • Chase & Status
  • Tom Misch
  • Purple Disco Machine
  • Shy FX
  • Mura Masa
  • Sigma
  • Disciples
  • Pendulum
  • Soul II Soul (saw them in the dance tent my first year)
  • Silk City/Mark Ronson/Diplo
  • Roisin Murphy
  • Kolsch
  • Georgia
  • Marshmello
  • Andy C
  • Deadmau5
  • Jax Jones
  • Skrillex
  • Justice
  • Duke Dumont
  • Fatboy
  • Wilkinson
  • Calvin Harris
  • Carl Cox
  • Major Lazer
  • Leftfield
  • Tiësto
  • High Contrast
  • Mistajam

I'd have a "disco day", maybe try to book Chaka Khan or Candi Staton again. They could also cross-over into putting on a few of the grime acts that are currently being put on other stages

Now, I know some of those have appeared on other stages in the last few years and a couple are even playing this year, and I know some people might find some of those acts a bit cheesy and maybe a bit past it compared to the eisting line-up, but it show that there are no shortage of acts capable of filling a big tent and drawing a significant audience.

Silver Hayes couldn't handle something like this for example (Ignore the shit crowd full of posers):

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, musky said:

Do tell. I vaguely remember that you’ve related the tale before, but what was the story there?

Snotty chap didn’t want us to sit on his chairs while we were having our break in case we made them dirty, despite the fact that we’d just spent 45 minutes bent double dragging endless nos canisters and balloons and fag ends out of six inch thick mud inside his tent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

Indeed.

I used to DJ house music in the 90s and have always loved all kinds of dance music so I SHOULD love Silver Hayes. I know I'm getting a bit old now but I still listen to lots of electronic music but none of it seems to be represented in Silver Hayes. They don't have a big stage like they used to so all big acts have to go to other areas and whomever books the acts is clearly trying hard to be "on-trend" and maybe trying to deliberately steer clear of booking acts which are too popular/well known?

If I ran the area I'd keep lots of the smaller stuff but I'd bring back a big dance tent and perhaps try to book any of the following....

• MK
  • Camelphat
  • Annie Mac
  • M83
  • Orbital
  • Disclosure
  • Chase & Status
  • Tom Misch
  • Purple Disco Machine
  • Shy FX
  • Mura Masa
  • Sigma
  • Disciples
  • Pendulum
  • Soul II Soul (saw them in the dance tent my first year)
  • Silk City/Mark Ronson/Diplo
  • Roisin Murphy
  • Kolsch
  • Georgia
  • Marshmello
  • Andy C
  • Deadmau5
  • Jax Jones
  • Skrillex
  • Justice
  • Duke Dumont
  • Fatboy
  • Wilkinson
  • Calvin Harris
  • Carl Cox
  • Major Lazer
  • Leftfield
  • Tiësto
  • High Contrast
  • Mistajam

I'd have a "disco day", maybe try to book Chaka Khan or Candi Staton again. They could also cross-over into putting on a few of the grime acts that are currently being put on other stages

Now, I know some of those have appeared on other stages in the last few years and a couple are even playing this year, and I know some people might find some of those acts a bit cheesy and maybe a bit past it compared to the eisting line-up, but it show that there are no shortage of acts capable of filling a big tent and drawing a significant audience.

Silver Hayes couldn't handle something like this for example (Ignore the shit crowd full of posers):

Each to their own and that but most of the names you’ve listed there are absolutely shite. The bookings this year are far better than that. Maybe take the time to listen to the ones booked.

Fair enough the Silver Hayes area isn’t too exciting looks wise and maybe atmosphere wise but at least they book good acts!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Each to their own and that but most of the names you’ve listed there are absolutely shite. The bookings this year are far better than that. Maybe take the time to listen to the ones booked.

Fair enough the Silver Hayes area isn’t too exciting looks wise and maybe atmosphere wise but at least they book good acts!

I think you're missing the point somewhat. It's not about whether you like them or I like them, my point was that the area could draw bigger crowds and appeal to a wider demographic line they used to before I started going. Theycame up with the Idea of the Dance Village because (they claimed at the time) dance music was fragmenting andd, basically, on the decline and they couldn't fill the massive tent they used to have. I disagree, and that was the point of my post.

If you like this year's lineup then that's great for you and the  3 people who agree with you but it's obvious by the many comments on this thread that there's little interest in Silver Hayes. I think a large part of that is the lineup, along with the terrible Sonic stage.

To be totally honest crowds make sets so if me, my mates and “three people who agree with me” are the only ones watching the acts I’ve previously listed at least it’ll be a good crowd who know their tunes and aren’t bellends. I think we both know that’s isn’t the case and it’ll be busy most of the day. 

4 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

To be totally honest crowds make sets so if me, my mates and “three people who agree with me” are the only ones watching the acts I’ve previously listed at least it’ll be a good crowd who know their tunes and aren’t bellends. I think we both know that’s isn’t the case and it’ll be busy most of the day. 

Yeah but the thing is that it's not just about you and your mates. If you don't like the acts on the list I posted then that's totally fair enough, I don't like some of them either, but to assume the crowd would be shit just becuase they're popular is incredibly snobbish. I walk through Silver Hayes a lot as I camp in Pylon and I can guarantee you there are many fewer people there than there was 15 years ago.

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I can guarantee you there are many fewer people there than there was 15 years ago.

Whilst that's totally true I think a lot of that is down to the SE corner offering an alternative.

It used to just be the dance tent and a few sound systems in the markets areas.

Edited by dccool

16 minutes ago, dccool said:

Whilst that's totally true I think a lot of that is down to the SE corner offering an alternative.

It used to just be the dance tent and a few sound systems in the markets areas.

That's undoubtedly part of it. But I was just looking at the lineup for 2004 and remember the Saturday with Sister Sledge, Soul II Soul and Scissor Sisters, also Dave Clarke, Mylo, Plan B, Goldie Looking Chain (OK. maybe not Goldie Lookin' Chain). 2005 had Chemical Brothers in the East tent and Fatboy the year after. I just can't see acts of that calibre ever being put on in that area again.

Edited by bombfrog

15 years ago come on lad. Why does bigger = better anyway? Compare the Sliver Hayes line up to a lot of small festivals or day parties and it stands up. There are a lot of good DJ’s on that line up. I saw Joy O b2b Solar last time and it was one of the sets of the weekend, I’d say you’d be pushing it to say it was even a 1/4 full but so what?

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I just can't see acts of that calibre ever being put on in that area again

Neither can I, but I'm forever grateful that Glastonbury has evolved and turned into the behemoth that it is today so these acts and bigger can play somewhere else on site.

15 years ago come on lad. Why does bigger = better anyway?

Because we're talking about popularity. Silver Hayes doesn't seem to be very popular so I was suggesting a solution which is to book acts with broader appeal and give them a tent big enough to draw a larger crowd.

I’d say you’d be pushing it to say it was even a 1/4 full but so what?

That's the point isn't it. Whilst that's great for the niche crowd who are enjoying it, there's 140,000 people at the festival to entertain and if the majority of people think Silver Hayes is crap and don't go there then something needs to change. It's not about giving a small number of people a really good time.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Upside down frowner said:

Sorry 2015, 3 festivals - played Sonic on Saturday night 23:00

Bet it was rammed. Last time I tried to see a big act at Sonic was Disclosure around the time they were just starting to get properly famous. I couldn't get inside the tent so I watched on the screen outside for about 10 minutes and then walked off.

Without doubt The Greenfields are the best. Amazing place at any time of day or night, especially slowly coming down after a night partying in the wee hours of the morning. Sitting listening to some guy or girl playing some chilled soft acoustic music, with a warm drink and chilling with mates after the madness in a truly peaceful area.

As others have said many times Silver Hayes is God awful. I hate it, I never spend anytime there and have only ever passed through on my way to the tent one years when I camped the other side of Dance Village. It isn't the music, more the set up seems crap and there are a larger number of people who just feels like too much to bear.

7 minutes ago, alframsey said:

Without doubt The Greenfields are the best. Amazing place at any time of day or night, especially slowly coming down after a night partying in the wee hours of the morning. Sitting listening to some guy or girl playing some chilled soft acoustic music, with a warm drink and chilling with mates after the madness in a truly peaceful area.

I've never done this. I go loads in the day but never evening or early hours. Late, i usually stagger home from SE corner/ Glade to bed but this sounds like such an amazing idea to wind down. Any more tips? How long does the area go on too. Any special tents/ areas? Cheers

8 hours ago, foolee said:

To everyone slating Silver Hayes, I have never been to Glasto and 2019 is my first year so looking at making it one to remember. I was originally looking to camp in Darble as I am getting the coach, would this mean that to go anywhere or back to camp I'd have to walk through Silver Hayes (Not particularly into dance music and I'd rather not make my trip unpleasant). If someone can put me at ease or suggest the best camping spots for coach festival goers that'd be ace. 

You'll be fine camping in Darble, that's where I camped last time. You can walk back through SH which is not a problem, I think people are complaining about the quality of the venues more than anything else, it's certainly not unpleasant. A nicer walk is up through The Woods and past John Peel.

Having said that Silver Hayes is being reconfigured this year and has a new tent for Sonic so it might have a whole different vibe about it.

47 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

I've never done this. I go loads in the day but never evening or early hours. Late, i usually stagger home from SE corner/ Glade to bed but this sounds like such an amazing idea to wind down. Any more tips? How long does the area go on too. Any special tents/ areas? Cheers

I can never remember names of tents or bars at Glastonbury and it is the same for Greenfields, I know that there is something going on right through the night and morning and I have been at one place or another in Greenfelds up until 6/7am. It really is a great place to wind down and chill out before heading back to sleep, even occasionally have a doze in the tents/bar/cafe and have never been disturbed. The worst that has happened is I wake up having found I've have a blanket put over me.