Best & Worst Glastonbury Area

Deadendfriends8

The talk about the Acoustic Stage area in another thread inspired me to make a thread about this and thought it would be interesting to hear all of your opinions on the Best & Worst Glastonbury areas.

Best - West Holts/Brothers Bar - A regular meeting point for our group and hub of most nights out.

Worst - Acoustic Stage area - Uphill baron wasteland of pulled from the depths of hell.

Edited by Deadendfriends8
grammar

Best - well it's really hard to choose between West Holts, which is my favourite in the mornings with a pint of Toffee Apple cider for breakfast and a fantastic World Music or Afrobeat band on, and Avalon, which is just amazing all the time but not really a breakfast destination

Worst - yeah Silver Hayes doesn't float my boat, but the worst sound I've heard is up at the Acoustic

As above

Best = Glade or maybe Crows Nest

Worst - Silver Hayes - for me its soulless, and just a vast walk through to somewhere better - really needs a total redesign as far as I am concerned, especially looking at how good all the other areas are, its such a let down and has been for many years. A mish-mash of stages with no real character/identity at all. Just my opinion though

Best area: Shangri-La. Can't choose a particular area, it's all amazing. Depends on the night, the vibe, the music, how crowded it is.

Area that has room for improvement (there are no worst areas at Glastonbury): Silver Hayes. Let's hope that the changes planned for 2019 bring it up to the same standard as the rest of the festival.

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

Best - The Park

Worst - Silver Hayes. Acoustic is bland and meh, but Silver Hayes can be actively bad. It's probably amplified because I camp in Bushy/Pylon and walking through it is such a pain, especially in the mud in 2016. Craig David was awesome in 2016, so it's not all bad, the layout and aesthetic just aren't to my taste.

Best: Block 9 - some of the best nights you'll ever have, for sure.

Worst: Controversial but I'm really not keen on Arcadia. I admire the spectacle of it all but I can't help but the music on offer there when I've been rarely floats my boat. Its also a nightmare to find people at!

• Upvote 1

Fave area is the stretch from Acoustic, down the hill over Arabella’s bridge and into the Cabaret area up to Avalon.    It’s where the best random-ness occurs.   It’s a short walk to West Holts where the best grub is too (Leon’s and Goan Fish Curry). 

Least favourite is the Other Stage if it’s muddy. 

• Upvote 1

Best: Avalon (There’s a surprise), but WH up there too, and Small World and Bimble Inn for small stages

Worst: Not for the music, but I’ve always found the Other Stage a bland area that could be any big festival, limited character, and due to its flat, bottom of the valley location, often very muddy. At least Silver Hayes has the Blues & Gulley which I like. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Best pyramid 

worst other stage

west holts and glade more consistently good but the best moments on pyramid can’t be beat.

other stage gets worst award because I feel it could be at any other festival, nothing special about it.

Best: Park - great line up, great surrounding venues (bimble inn, rabbit hole, crows nest), good food spots and a nice feel about the place. Avalon and West Holts are also great.

Worst: Other stage - there's always a couple of bands on which I'll go to - always seems a bit of a chore to get there and find a decent spot. Surrounded by mostly pretty average food places. The line up will always have some great stuff on it, but there's also plenty of middle of the road rubbish too. Often the crowds are not particularly interested in the bands, which can ruin it for bands you do like

(like many others I'm not a fan of Silver hayes, but I've not really set foot in it for the last couple of years so it's not really part of my festival)

Best - Park stage  - everything about it

Worst - all the south east corner - controversy time....
I find the whole thing way too overcrowded and more like a poor uni project with childish messaging. Needs to be way cleverer than it is. Maybe I've seen it too many times.

Worst - As a lot of other people have said, Silver Hayes can be grim - especially if you're walking through at the end of the night when it's half-empty and full of empty gas canisters. It also makes John Peel worse by sheer proximity. I'd also give a vote for every SE corner venue that I've never been able to get into because of overcrowding.

Best - Love the Park and all the small venues in that area. Also really enjoy Avalon - getting breakfast in the cafe there on a Friday morning before seeing Hobo Jones has become a mini-tradition

Best - Tie between Park & Avalon. 

Honorary mention - for the Pyramid field 15-20 years ago. I used to love the vibe in the evenings with all the fires & flares dotted around the hillside - unfortunately now these are gone it’s lost a bit of it’s identity

Least best (nothings that bad!) - unfortunately agreeing with a lot on here, Silver Hayes. Been saying it needs some new ideas for a few years now - just too spacious - carve it up a bit and introduce some smaller sub-areas with specific character (surely there is some precedent nearby to draw ideas from....oh hello SE corner!) would do it wonders 

Edited by mario man

Worst - Silver Hayes - it feels like the least Glastonbury like in both the clientele and the vibe around the stages. You can normally walk from one side to the other on laughing gas canisters without touching the ground

Best - The Park if you're standing in the right place and get the right artist is pretty magical; James Blake there back a few years was incredible!

Maybe it's just me, but for me:

BEST: Green Futures field. Just love the vibe, and seems like the soul of the whole festival. (Honourable mention to The Park.)

WORST: Silver Hayes. It's just not much of anything really. 2017 was the first year I didn't go there to even have a look around.

Best: DAY - The Park Stage area, grab some mezze food, have a little wander about, pop into the Stonebridge Bar, walk up the Glasto hill etc. NIGHT - Bloc 9 (NYC Downlow is simply one of the best clubs in the world!)

Worst: Have to agree with everyone, Silver Hayes. Just doesn't seem very well though out and could easily be a normal festival. The only highlight of this area for me is the outdoor HMS Wow stage, which can be fun in the afternoons depending on the DJ & crowd

Interesting to see so much dislike for Silver Hayes. As I camp right next door to it I've always had a soft spot as its has often provided a lot of first night entertainment for my friends and I. I think it does suffer from a clear lack of identity with a lot of themes mashed together. However, some of the individual venues have provided great entertainment. Pussy Parlure is always good fun!