breakfast!

el decimato

12 minutes ago, StLewi said:

I was contemplating taking something like Heul or breakfast protein powder that has oats in. All you'd need to do is mix it with water and should provide a good start to the day.

Anyone done this before?

If I was taking something like that I would rather just have one of those instant porridge pots, they taste pretty good and there's a big variety of flavours to choose from.

Pop tarts. Pre-made chocolate crepes/brioche. Little fruit cocktail cups for a fleeting feeling of health/nutrition. Dioralyte,Berocca, Alka-Seltzer, Water mix followed by a can of hopefully not too warm beer. Feel right as rain in no time and ready to take on the day, and even a second breakfast at whatever stall I so happen to come across first that sells coffee. 

24 minutes ago, StLewi said:

Just trying to save money, innit.

I'd just take the porridge pots from the supermarkets. The Quaker ones always seem to be on offer in Sainsbury's or Tesco, or the own brand ones are 50p. The original flavour is pretty bland though! I love the food at Glastonbury, but saving a bit of money on the breakfasts seems easily doable 

• Upvote 1

Usually we bring porridge pots that you add a bit of water to with the best intentions of having those for breakfasts, however that's gone out the window without fail for the last four years ? 

So the plan this year is make sausage sandwiches Tuesday night, whack in a cool bag and have to eat Wednesday morning, possibly Thursday if they'll keep that long (anyone got any experience with this?). After that son't have much of a plan so will be stealing people's ideas on here... One thing I'm determined to do this year is make myself drink more water, downing some first thing in the morning can only do some good before moving on to the breakfast cider of choice (Thatchers Haze this year I think)

16 minutes ago, Sundance said:

Usually we bring porridge pots that you add a bit of water to with the best intentions of having those for breakfasts, however that's gone out the window without fail for the last four years ? 

So the plan this year is make sausage sandwiches Tuesday night, whack in a cool bag and have to eat Wednesday morning, possibly Thursday if they'll keep that long (anyone got any experience with this?). After that son't have much of a plan so will be stealing people's ideas on here... One thing I'm determined to do this year is make myself drink more water, downing some first thing in the morning can only do some good before moving on to the breakfast cider of choice (Thatchers Haze this year I think)

Don’t think the sausages will last that long, food poisoning would be a terrible way to start the festival.  

Charm x

1 minute ago, Charm said:

Don’t think the sausages will last that long, food poisoning would be a terrible way to start the festival.  

Charm x

Yeah we did think this! Should have said that they'll be veggie sausages but still... reckon it's still a no no even with ice etc. in a cool bag?

4 minutes ago, Sundance said:

Yeah we did think this! Should have said that they'll be veggie sausages but still... reckon it's still a no no even with ice etc. in a cool bag?

Think veggie sausages would be ok, doubt you would be poisoned but they might go a bit hard, would make sure you have other options just in case. 

Charm x

Edited by Charm
  • Like 1

I can’t be arsed dragging food and cooking stuff to the tent so just usually make a brew and scoff a cereal bar then head off to Bath Organic Farms for a bacon and egg bap.   Very nice too.    The Real Meat Sausage Company used to be a regular breakfast destination but I’m not sure if they’re still around. 

My mate swears by Strumpets with Crumpits.

51 minutes ago, Sundance said:

Yep have made loads of bacon sarnies Tuesday night ready for a morale booster after the car park queue on Weds, and have eaten leftovers on Thursday no problems. That's in a cool bag with some frozen blocks and kept under the groundsheet. Though someone earlier suggested freezing a capri sun instead of just a block as then you can drink it too and not carry it back.

Yeah I would say the sarnies would be fine by Thursday if kept in a cool bag with some ice blocks or frozen drinks. I would just make sure they are properly chilled before you put them in the cool bag, I.E. don't put warm food into a sweaty sandwich bag.

I'd have thought the extra weight and cost of buying camping stoves etc (unless you already have them) wouldn't be worth the grief. If I was trying to save money I'd probably just go with cereal bars, nuts, brioche etc They'd be good in terms of weight as well. Then just get yourself a really good lunch. Some meals can be way more substantial for the money than others. 

I'm planning on having a coffee (possibly white russian depending on how i'm feeling) and high energy cereal bars/nuts for brekkie. 
But I have a feeling this plan won't actually work when I've got 0 appetite. Weird how festivals do that...

• Upvote 1

Fried eggs, bacon and baked beans in the Camper van washed down with a rum & coke. Then down the hill-o-death and away....

Granola and unsweetened soya milk with vodka for a standby brekkie in case I can't face cooking.

Obviously skip the alcohol Monday morning as driving home.

22 hours ago, Bags73 said:

My mate swears by Strumpets with Crumpits.

Pretty sure they've sold up so won't be there but can I just say that the crumpet place in Avalon is even better anyway. They are called Truly Crumptious and are truly delicious. 

Years ago one Sunday morning it was a cold Chocolate Milk Shake from the stall in the markets sprnkled with s***d to perk me up and ready for the last day.

And a pint of grapefruit juice with plenty of vodka in my tent to solve the " i just can't be arsed today " you sometimes get sat in your tent , you get  on the Sat or Sun mornings !.

Food wise i used to enjoy the breakfast burritos near the Cider Bus !

23 hours ago, Bags73 said:

My mate swears by Strumpets with Crumpits

This was my go to place but not there anymore.....

41 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Pretty sure they've sold up so won't be there but can I just say that the crumpet place in Avalon is even better anyway. They are called Truly Crumptious and are truly delicious. 

Perfect will definitely try these out

15 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

What is the best breakfast cereal bar?

I go for whatever has the most fibre (at least 3 or 4g I think?) - and have two each day to make sure things, er, keep ticking over.  More for practical purposes than taste as I'll often have a proper breakfast as well, but seems to have worked well the past few years..

• Upvote 1