breakfast!

el decimato

12 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I have got a small cooker and pan actually and may try to squeeze it in so I can at least have a hot drink in the morning and maybe some dried stuff which will be light.  As someone else said, the co-op may be a game changer but it depends where it is in relation to where we camp.

I tend to overpack probably clothes wise but it's difficult when you can't be sure what the weather will be like.  Ideally you want it to be a bit chilly on arrival day so you can wear your thicker clothes and then leave them in the tent for the rest of the festival while you walk round in shorts and t-shirts.

Hmm is it too soon to try packing?  ?

Never to soon to start practise packing 

1 hour ago, Bza said:

These look a bit rank when poured out of their silver vacuum spaceman package but fried up with some baked beans and they are pretty decent! 

For the first couple of days I freeze bacon (seperate into batches of 3 and keep in a cool box). That lasts until Friday morning usually. Eggs last a while too. 

10a5ab2db37feedfdeaab192ead4ac0e-1024x768.jpg

What are the potatoes like in these? Do they still resemble actual spuds? I have horrible memories of having to eat tinned potatoes when I was a kid. Makes me gag a bit just thinking of them

1 minute ago, Madyaker said:

Why anyone would bother bringing breakfast with them is beyond me. Dry cereal bars or porridge for breakfast sounds so grim when there's amazing food stalls a stones throw from yer tent.

Aye this is my theory as well but in emergencies good to have some sort of back-up and some snacks to munch on when you're chilling early hours by your tent.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jah_Roots said:

for tent breakfast, and food in general, i take pita bread, cereal bars & crisps - that has you covered for all occasions, and at least 4 of your 5 a day.

I agree, I think crisps need to be officially recognised as a vegetable 

4 minutes ago, Bza said:

They still have the same slimey feel of tinned spuds but these are sliced so they crisp up in a frying pan. 

If you want fairly tasty stodge that will fill you up till mid afternoon, these hit the spot. I add some extra hot chilli sauce to the beans and I'm set up for the day. 

You will be widely ridiculed by your camp buddies when they first slide out the packaging though as they look proper grim at first. 

And being concentrated carbohydrates smothered in fat, they contain enough calories to keep you going for ages.

14 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Why anyone would bother bringing breakfast with them is beyond me. Dry cereal bars or porridge for breakfast sounds so grim when there's amazing food stalls a stones throw from yer tent.

Money! Breakfast is expensive in addition to an evening meal--by bringing your own you can reduce food costs by 50%!

My tummy is like a leaking bucket and keeping it full is very expensive when I'm not at home

Edited by Mr.Tease

Breakfast is a meal I am reluctant to spend much money on at Glasto. I want something to tie me over until late afternoon when I buy my main meal for the day. So for me, I cant recommend hob nobs enough, whatever time of day they fit the bill. And pot noodle if you can fit it in, and have a stove. And a couple of cans of lager first thing will fill you up

8 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Breakfast is a meal I am reluctant to spend much money on at Glasto. I want something to tie me over until late afternoon when I buy my main meal for the day. So for me, I cant recommend hob nobs enough, whatever time of day they fit the bill. And pot noodle if you can fit it in, and have a stove. And a couple of cans of lager first thing will fill you up

Hob nobs are technically two vegetables (sugar syrup, which is made from the vegetable sugar cane, and vegetable oil which as its name must suggest is made of vegetables) plus oats, so are a nice healthy start to the day. If you're getting the milk chocolate covered ones then you're adding a third vegetable (coco beans) plus milk which is yet another healthy treat. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Hob nobs are technically two vegetables (sugar syrup, which is made from the vegetable sugar cane, and vegetable oil which as its name must suggest is made of vegetables) plus oats, so are a nice healthy start to the day. If you're getting the milk chocolate covered ones then you're adding a third vegetable (coco beans) plus milk which is yet another healthy treat. 

Never take chocolate hob nobs. I took Jaffa Cakes one year and it was carnage in a warm tent

Just now, dingbat2 said:

Never take chocolate hob nobs. I took Jaffa Cakes one year and it was carnage in a warm tent

Only if handled incorrectly! As I'm addicted to chocolate, my body requires 120g of it per day, so I have to take it to Glastonbury - the key is that it can only be eaten either just after sun rise or after sun set- outside of these fixed times it turns into its liquid state and cannot be eaten. Once the tent cools its back in its solid state (but has kind of gone white). 

Sometimes I've been so desperate I'llve tried to wolf down a Mars bar in the middle of the day, but I end up looking like a three year old with chocolate smothered all round my chops! 

3 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Those supermarket brioche rolls are good, I dip em in my tea and it makes for a very easy snacky thing early doors. I’m not usually a very breakfast person first thing. 

+1 for this an easy go to breakfast snack. I wake up too late to mess around with a stove. 

They're not really a breakfast item, but I do recommend taking a bag of opal fruits/star bursts. When stoned they genuinely taste like nectar from the gods, but even when not stoned for some reason they taste more delicious than they do outside of Glastonbury 

Of all the many varied and wonderful food choices at Glastonbury, by far the worst offering is breakfast. Terrible bread rolls stuffed with fatty bacon, eggs that have been fried in deep fat or a sausage that has close to zero meat in it. Yuck. 

I bring individual bags of cereal and wait for the milk delivery. You wouldn’t believe how good a simple bowl of cornflakes tastes when you have been drinking and eating calorie laden food for 5 days. Try it. 

10 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

They're not really a breakfast item, but I do recommend taking a bag of opal fruits/star bursts. When stoned they genuinely taste like nectar from the gods, but even when not stoned for some reason they taste more delicious than they do outside of Glastonbury 

And made with fruit juice so they're another one of your 5 a day! :P 

Now i know I may get ridiculed for this but I have often had a drive into Glastonbury and had breakfast at one of the little cafe's. Have done it at least twice per festival, sometimes 3 times. Its my way of contributing to the local economy. This year I am in a campervan, so will probably make my own. I will miss going into the village though as I really like it.

Cup of coffe and one of them fruit salad cups from the site, sit down for 10-15 mins, peace and quiet, get my shit together then a second coffee and a crepe from LGB with garlic, mushrooms and cheese. That sets me up for the day. Back to the tent: Shit, shower and shoes on and I'm good to go.

44 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Out of up votes but you’d have gotten one for that sound nutritional advice. 

55 minutes ago, Bza said:

In terms of camping stoves, I take one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GTXRTLV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FWa0Cb6RM500B

Very small once packed away so can fit in a rucksack pocket and really kicks out some heat. So much better than those briefcase style ones. 

Really good stove, and really stable for safety.

You can also get this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072MK1JT9/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=AIF0SUM1JRS5E&psc=1 and used the cheaper and more available butane cartridges. A bit less heat output, but still good.

Makes my essential morning coffee, and bacon rolls on Thursday and Friday.