breakfast!

el decimato

so, going to glasto is a long held dream for me which is finally coming true! 

I'm obviously more excited than a kid before Christmas and have duly read as much of this thread as I can, watched every blog, stared at the map for hours, worked spotify into submission etc etc in order to vent my excitement.

the only question that I don't think I've seen asked/answered is about breakfast! 

I don't want to buy one every morning and won't always be in the mood for one but.... 

can anyone recommend a good breakfast which will survive being in a tent for 4 days?

im currently thinking of... bread (obvs), mushrooms (no not that kind!), chorizo, maybe beans. maybe. 

any gastronomic advice welcome! 

tl:dr

breakfast suggestions please. 

The new co-op might be a game changer here.  I like a fry up when I am caping and bring frozen packets of bacon and sausage in a cool bag.  Only trust them for the first couple of days depending on the heat.  Being able to buy fresh could make all the difference. Save carting it all from the car as well.  Otherwise eggs are a good shout.  Fried egg butty with a beer is the best way. to ease into the day.

I don't like spending money on breakfast as its a placebo (whether I eat it or not I'm still hungry a few hours later), so I usually just buy a loaf of bread from the bakers at Glastonbury (it's on route to the Acoustic Field, walking from the workers tower), and use that for breakfast along with a box of cereal bars/bevita I take with me. Saves a great deal of money! 

22 minutes ago, crocodiles said:

If u have small stove and kettle or pan take porridge pots set u up for a while 

I was thinking about these and wondering if the tea stalls at the campsite might give out hot water for them....I don't really want to take a stove. Is that a possibility?

This is incredibly middle class and w*nky, but when I went to boomtown I took avocados, mini plum tomatoes and pittas. That was actually a pretty great breakfast!

Edited by Sasperella

21 minutes ago, Bza said:

These look a bit rank when poured out of their silver vacuum spaceman package but fried up with some baked beans and they are pretty decent! 

For the first couple of days I freeze bacon (seperate into batches of 3 and keep in a cool box). That lasts until Friday morning usually. Eggs last a while too. 

10a5ab2db37feedfdeaab192ead4ac0e-1024x768.jpg

Seconded.  We were all dubious when it came out of the pack but it's tasty and looks much better when cooked.

Not really breakfast related but seeing some of these suggestions, how do you manage if you go by coach?  I don't even think I could manage a cooker and pan let alone anything to actually cook!  So when I've gone by coach I've usually bought all my food and hot drinks on site apart from taking a few emergency cereal bars and chocolate.

Used to take a stove and cook bacon eggs beans mushrooms etc but cant be bothered taking it all in now.

Will still take a stove for coffees and teas and could buy bits from coop but find it a faff having to cook at the tent then wash everything up etc.

Fresh doughnuts and coffee on the way home from the naughty corner then pop out to pick up some hot crumpets and more coffee on the way back out is the usual scenario.

Just now, Beerqueen said:

Not really breakfast related but seeing some of these suggestions, how do you manage if you go by coach?  I don't even think I could manage a cooker and pan let alone anything to actually cook!  So when I've gone by coach I've usually bought all my food and hot drinks on site apart from taking a few emergency cereal bars and chocolate.

Stoves r very small like one or 2 rings . Plus tiny pan or kettle . Agree though I come by car so can manage it .

Thing is this will be my 3rd year and each time I reduce what I actually carry . 

If you pack light like due to coach/train travel couscous is the way forward. It’s super light weight and will fill you up (unlike crisps, bread or many of the other suggestions here).

Youll need a flask and a food stall willing to give you boiling water (most will). I add peanut butter and a stock cube to make a satay sauce. 

Spoon, eat, rinse flask, done. 

Edited by Radi0Head

My friend took eggs last year in his back pack on the coach. If you buy the fancy Burford Brown variety they will survive the journey due their thick shells. 

He scrambled them on a camping stove with some chorizo and everyone was jealous.

The blue shelled variety did not fair so well.

23 minutes ago, crocodiles said:

Stoves r very small like one or 2 rings . Plus tiny pan or kettle . Agree though I come by car so can manage it .

Thing is this will be my 3rd year and each time I reduce what I actually carry . 

I have got a small cooker and pan actually and may try to squeeze it in so I can at least have a hot drink in the morning and maybe some dried stuff which will be light.  As someone else said, the co-op may be a game changer but it depends where it is in relation to where we camp.

I tend to overpack probably clothes wise but it's difficult when you can't be sure what the weather will be like.  Ideally you want it to be a bit chilly on arrival day so you can wear your thicker clothes and then leave them in the tent for the rest of the festival while you walk round in shorts and t-shirts.

Hmm is it too soon to try packing?  ?