Cameras - what do you take with you?

Wondermum

Love the camera on my phone, but really only good for social media and the zoom isn’t the best. 

So, I’m looking for a decent pocket sized digital camera. I don’t like carrying around anything heavy so a bridge camera is it of the question for me. I’m looking for something with a good zoom, good at nighttime, great for action shots, something that has a good shutter speed (or whatever it is I need to look for when I want to take lots of pictures in God’s succession). 

Figures there would be someone on these boards with enough know how to advise. 

Bringing my film camera this year. It's definitely something I want to capture on film! Can i hijack this thread and ask people who have used film cameras at a festival before on which film they suggest to take? Going to try and use 2 rolls a day, one for the day and one for the night!

I’ve taken a compact Canon SX700HS for the last 5 Glasto’s and love the results.

It’s got  30 x optical zoom and 16m pixels - it’s also good in low light conditions

Always take a spare battery and extra memory card and it’s never let me down yet.  Fits easily into your pocket or bag

One going for £40 on eBay at the minute  

Took my DSLR one year, never again. Was a hassle carrying it about, in and out of my bag, in and out of lock ups; so now I just take my iPhone X to events, takes good enough photos for what I need. Probably different if you are a proper hobby photographer, but too much hassle for me.

I've actually gone the other way and got a new phone with a really good camera so don't have to take a camera with me. I used to take my Panasonic digital camera which did take some great photos but just didn't want to carry both around this year. 

Took a fuji x20 for a couple of years but decided its size and small sensor vs the various micro 4/3rds cameras that were not much bigger (and in some cases smaller) with a larger sensor and better general and low light light performance meant I swapped and bought a 2nd hand Panasonic micro 4/3 camera to take to Glastonbury.  I've never felt the urge to drag the DSLR around.

1 hour ago, GrooveCity said:

Bringing my film camera this year. 

I have idly wondered about taking a film camera along,  but the only one I still use is medium format (120) and that would be too much to hump around even though I think some of the subject matter would lend itself to film nicely...

• Like 1

I’m considering bringing my Canon EOS 80D for the first time, just to use for one or two days, as I’m planning to do some sort of video compilation. Can’t help thinking it’s a bad idea but if I do I know I’ll have to stay sober. I’ve taken a compact Nikon before but I end up preferring what I’ve got on my iPhone 

47 minutes ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

I have idly wondered about taking a film camera along,  but the only one I still use is medium format (120) and that would be too much to hump around even though I think some of the subject matter would lend itself to film nicely...

I have a Contax 645, a Nikkormat EL 35mm, an A6300 and an A7iii.

Was strongly trying to decide whether to bring my a6300 or 35mm. There's no chance i'm taking a medium format or full frame with me to glastonbury. Decided to take my 35mm with me as If I lose it, the worst that will hurt is the 50quid for the body. Although I'm using a 50mm 1.2 for the lens and that has been with me ever since I started photography - so that's going to hurt If I lose it.

I found my old 35mm Canon SLR body the other day and have decided I’m going to take it this year. I’ll probably stick my cheap as chips but very good 50mm lens on it and pick up some black and white film and hopefully get some good shots whilst not having too much about losing it whilst pissed!

I have been using my phone more and more, especially at night time but I always like the Cannon Ixus as nice size, decent zoom and quality, plus seems to have decent battery life. I don't zoom too much now and tend to crop them later as the details are better.

I have an Ixus 185 myself which is pocket size :) 

I have a Canon IXUS 110 for £30 +p&p. If you like the reviews and spec, I can post it through to try before you buy. I have silver or pink (I bought the pink when we thought the silver was lost, which then was found). It's a small workhorse of a camera with multiple settings, including movies. It also has a night setting but you need some form of tripod or absolutely still base to allow it to take the picture over a longer exposure without blurring.

Edited by carlosj

6 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I have taken my slr in the past and various other digital ones ... but now with the advancements of phone technology ... I stick to this .... what phone do you have ? 

It’s an iPhone. A 6 I think

42 minutes ago, carlosj said:

I have a Canon IXUS 110 for £30 +p&p. If you like the reviews and spec, I can post it through to try before you buy. I have silver or pink (I bought the pink when we thought the silver was lost, which then was found). It's a small workhorse of a camera with multiple settings, including movies. It also has a night setting but you need some form of tripod or absolutely still base to allow it to take the picture over a longer exposure without blurring.

In really like the Ixus range. My current camera is actually an Ixus but it’s become unresponsive over the years, probably due to its advanced age. I’ll take another look at their range as they’ve always been very user friendly and easy to navigate after a few ciders. 

Just now, Wondermum said:

It’s an iPhone. A 6 I think

fairly decent cameras I think around 8mp ..... they have come on a fair bit since though ...... all dependant on what you want the end results to be like .... like most have said its a weigh up of looking after a camera as well as a phone ... ive just got the iPhone x and it took some decent photos at a gig I went to fri night 

I have a Sony WX500. Massive zoom and small enough to fit in your pocket. Takes a really nice photo too (no compact is going to be comparable to my DSLR but this is as close as it can be). It is also not to expensive if lost or broken. 

6 hours ago, GrooveCity said:

Bringing my film camera this year. It's definitely something I want to capture on film! Can i hijack this thread and ask people who have used film cameras at a festival before on which film they suggest to take? Going to try and use 2 rolls a day, one for the day and one for the night!

Not the cheapest but Portra 400 will be great to capture the colours of the day. It's got a super fine grain and the colours will really burst. I'll be taking a couple of rolls. You could use Ektar 100 which is really great for landscape shots but you'll need decent light to get good results and it's not so good for skin tones. I don't know how much luck you'll have shooting film in the evening but I'd advise going for at least 800 ISO and not shooting with the flash on.

Edited by jyoung