cycling not cycling

Crazyfool01

we come in the car and are usually placed in the pink car parks on the west of the site ... we bring bikes and trailers so when we get to the road ( A361 ? )is it possible to cycle along the road from there and in gate  A therefore joining the bus queue rather than the carpark queue at gate A ? is this possible ? would it be beneficial ?

5 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

would it be beneficial ?

Although I arrive on Tuesday and park in Orange, one year I did attempt to leave my motorbike in the secure compound by Pedestrian Gate A.  This was a failure, as it didn't open until the Wednesday, but in the process I did spend some time wandering around in the vicinity of the cycle lock-up, the coach station and Gate A.  From what I could see, Gate A is the only pedestrian entrance around there, so you'd have to use that (along with people parked in Yellow and Pink) regardless of whether you came by bike, coach or motorbike.

So it looks to me that you've already been doing the best you can - pedalling along to Bronze Gate where the coaches come in would still result in you being funnelled through to Gate A.  I do vaguely recall reading on here about coach passengers somehow jumping the queue at Gate A, so that might offer some advantage if it's true and you can sneak amongst them.  And the cyclists' camping is supposedly worth it for the space and the showers, but I guess you've already checked that out.

My thoughts were that they prioritise bus travel and so that would be quicker joining that queue and we tend to arrive at a time around 7.30 am when the queues are probably peaking in terms of time to get through the gate . We were once told we could as cyclists go round the zig zag thing like the reentrys but didn’t at the time .. as for the camping thing the cyclist field is a little far out and we prefer to be a bit more central near the jp ... and would feel like frauds if asked where we had come from .... ah yes we have cycled here from the pink car parks :) 

i am still very confused here....!

Are you considering loading bikes and trailers into/onto your car, driving to the car park, unloading said bikes/trailers and cycling a short distance in the hope that you will get a little closer to the front of the queue.?? Will you have to don the lycra and splash your face with water for authenticity.?

This makes wearing a fully lit, small scale version of the Pyramid stage on your head whist trying to walk around the site sound uncomplicated...

I am a simple CV dwelling bloke that brings half his house in a 4x4 and a caravan btw ?

5 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

i am still very confused here....!

Are you considering loading bikes and trailers into/onto your car, driving to the car park, unloading said bikes/trailers and cycling a short distance in the hope that you will get a little closer to the front of the queue.?? Will you have to don the lycra and splash your face with water for authenticity.?

This makes wearing a fully lit, small scale version of the Pyramid stage on your head whist trying to walk around the site sound uncomplicated...

I am a simple CV dwelling bloke that brings half his house in a 4x4 and a caravan btw ?

we already use the bikes and trailers ... as pulling the weight on these is very much the easiest way we have tried ... its just wether the cutting off of the corner would gain us anything by cycling along the road ...? .... I wouldn't subject me in Lycra on anybody :) 

IMG_3384.jpeg

30 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

we already use the bikes and trailers ... as pulling the weight on these is very much the easiest way we have tried ... its just wether the cutting off of the corner would gain us anything by cycling along the road ...? .... I wouldn't subject me in Lycra on anybody :) 

IMG_3384.jpeg

Do they let you through the gates on bikes/trailers, and if so, are you able to cycle to all the way to where you usually camp?

27 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Do they let you through the gates on bikes/trailers, and if so, are you able to cycle to all the way to where you usually camp?

I've often cycled in to where I am camping, set the tent up and put the bike in the lockups. No one at the gate has ever objected.

I've also Cycled in and left my bike at the gate a bike park. If you know what you are doing you can cycle right up to gate a bike park skipping the car park and coach queue. Seems fair enough reward for peddling to Pilton. Not sure where I stand on doing the same from the carparks tho, if this became common then it would play against the whole green cycling in thing.

21 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

I've often cycled in to where I am camping, set the tent up and put the bike in the lockups. No one at the gate has ever objected.

I've also Cycled in and left my bike at the gate a bike park. If you know what you are doing you can cycle right up to gate a bike park skipping the car park and coach queue. Seems fair enough reward for peddling to Pilton. Not sure where I stand on doing the same from the carparks tho, if this became common then it would play against the whole green cycling in thing.

Yeah true ... was just a thought ... wouldn’t be doing the cyclist field bit ... just a way of trying to avoid the tight slalom which isn’t so easy ... but will probably end up doing what we have done for about the last 10 festivals :) 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah true ... was just a thought ... wouldn’t be doing the cyclist field bit ... just a way of trying to avoid the tight slalom which isn’t so easy ... but will probably end up doing what we have done for about the last 10 festivals :) 

Check your DMs

2 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Thanks for the response HalfAnidiot,

Yes, I was just curious, as the bike and trailer thing does sound a bit ace, compared to physically lugging the stuff on your back. i agree, in that people abusing the situation from the car parks would be a no no, unless they were prepared to take the pain of the queue like other folk.

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Thats just by the jp tent ... after we had packed up and done a litter sweep on the monday ... perfect for rolling out of bed to watch october drift on the sunday that year too :) 

Lower Mead? wow.. its spotless, nice clean up.

I see the October Drift boys are touring again right now... and have a few festivals lined up.  Be good to see them at the farm, i didnt get to see them last time.

7 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Lower Mead? wow.. its spotless, nice clean up.

I see the October Drift boys are touring again right now... and have a few festivals lined up.  Be good to see them at the farm, i didnt get to see them last time.

they always seem to be :) dont think they will be on the farm this time despite me asking several times and asking the mum of one of them  .... I saw them headline a 500 capacity venue on fri night at Thekla in Bristol so they are definitely getting bigger think they sold 450 tickets  .... I enrolled as a worthy warrior so made sure my area was clean and encouraged a few others by offering bin bags and starting to sweep bigger and bigger areas ... I forget the names of the areas but it was right by the entrance to the jp field ...

Edited by crazyfool1

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

yes pretty much although we get off  if its horrendously muddy or there are lots of people in they way ... bikes go in the lockups when we are setup ... weight off the back is much better :)