There is nothing like....

BlackHole2006

Witnessing an amazing gig at a small stage where only you and a few others are watching. 

I remember in 2017 I watched Pyramids Of Snafu on Mandala Tent on Thursday night. Whilst there were only a few of us there - it was a great moment because it felt like we found a proper haven away from all the crowds. 

Any one else experienced something similar? 

Many, many Glastonbury's ago (when you could legally buy magic mushrooms from a stall) I arrived at Glastonbury. On the first day it was pissing down, so me and my mates popped in to a tent which had a small stage with a band playing. I can't recall the type of music that they were playing, but remember in between songs the lead singer would tell a corny joke. Then they'd kick off in to another song. Anyway, I'd only gone in there for shelter. On a normal day I wouldn't have given them the time of day. After a short while in there, I realised how very very good they were at both music, and telling corny jokes. By the end of their session, they had the whole of the crowd (me included) in the palm of their hands. Everybody in that tent was on a high from their performance - and possibly from one or two other bits and bobs. Can't recall their name though.

• Like 1

At Latitude 2013, just as Young Fathers were about to come on one of the small tents, the crowd consisted of just me and my mate. 

We were sat on the floor saying ' shit this is going to be awkward if they have to play to just us two'. Then I looked back and saw Big Jeff from Bristol walking up the path. I said 'thank fuck for that, Jeff counts for 10 men', and it was just us 3 for probably the first ten minutes of the set, Jeff doing his thing. 

More came as people walked past, but it's something to go from a crowd of three to winning the Mercury Prize the next year, and playing The Other Stage year after that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Chawk said:

At Latitude 2013, just as Young Fathers were about to come on one of the small tents, the crowd consisted of just me and my mate. 

We were sat on the floor saying ' shit this is going to be awkward if they have to play to just us two'. Then I looked back and saw Big Jeff from Bristol walking up the path. I said 'thank fuck for that, Jeff counts for 10 men', and it was just us 3 for probably the first ten minutes of the set, Jeff doing his thing. 

More came as people walked past, but it's something to go from a crowd of three to winning the Mercury Prize the next year, and playing The Other Stage year after that. 

Yes! Big Jeff is a legend 

1 hour ago, sparkythetortoise said:

Pretty similar - I was one of the other people watching. Did you stay on to watch the The Aliped Project afterwards? That was me and my mate dancing disgracefully and inappropriately, but no one seemed to mind.

No I didn’t - at that point I wanted to find a place that played disco and I was unsuccessful and found a place that played jazz instead. I can’t for the life of me remember where it was though.

I’ve got a feeling a BH and Sparky meet at the Mandala is on the cards this year

1 hour ago, Chawk said:

Nice. If Jeff turns up, you know it's going to be a good gig :)

... seeing something at Glastonbury which is not scheduled, not scripted but feels like you just happen to be there.

At the piano in the green fields late afternoon of the Thursday of 2013 (I think?) when a random musician sat down  and started playing 90s hip hop covers. Started off with about five of us watching and ended with over a hundred singing along. I enjoyed more than most headliners I have ever seen. No idea who it was, then or now.

I remember in 2016 feeling cold and miserable and stumbling for the first time over Lekiddo.  There were only about 30 of us doing the moves in the rain but it cheered me up.  From there I went into a bar where they played A Message to You Rudi and one of the NY Brass Band stood on the table and played along.  

And Jonathan Kay in the Astrolobe the first time I went in 2014 - fantastic!

Over recent years, I’ve preferred an intimate gig in a small stage. I always make sure I catch a couple of acts up in a Green Futures (Rodney Branigan, obviously), but the one that comes to mind was the Gyuto Tibetan Monks at the Small World, it was just so unusual and seemed a million miles from Somerset. 

Best secret gig was Mumford & Sons at the original Strummerville, just so much better than watching them on the Pyramid stage headlining.

9 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

I’ve got a feeling a BH and Sparky meet at the Mandala is on the cards this year

I was thinking the same - I do sort of know Snafu's "singer" and guitarist Colin, albeit in a once a year to say hello to at Glastonbury sort of way. You were lucky to catch them. Soon after, he got some sort of grim stomach bug (best not the think what he had eaten) and spent the rest of the weekend round the back in the foetal position just waiting for it all to be over, poor sod.

We'll have to do our best to spot each other in those huge crowds that build up in the Mandala. I'm toying over whether going up to strangers and asking "Are you a black hole?" is more, or less, weird than asking "Are you a tortoise?" 

Probably about the same.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Yes! Big Jeff is a legend 

Big Jeff was in my team when I was litter picking in 2010.  Wasn't aware of his legendary status until afterwards 

15 hours ago, Tempest2012 said:

Getting a recommendation from a friend to check out a band you`ve never heard of.

Ho99o9,Thursday night 2017, earache express stage.

Huge fan now!

IMAG0162.jpg

YES! They’re an absolutely insane live band aren’t they? Ridiculous . . . 

Thurs 2017. Outside the Stonebridge bar listening to Baggy Monday’s. Sun setting after a beautiful day. I looked around and everyone was smiling, happy, chatting, dancing, singing...Not one single person on their phone. I remember feeling so happy 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, fionajm777 said:

Thurs 2017. Outside the Stonebridge bar listening to Baggy Monday’s. Sun setting after a beautiful day. I looked around and everyone was smiling, happy, chatting, dancing, singing...Not one single person on their phone. I remember feeling so happy 

Really looking forward to this. And can thoroughly recommend ultimate power in Williams green for a great singalong on Thursday afternoon ?

15 hours ago, Colonel74 said:

Taking in the view across the site as the sun has just gone down and the lights twinkling in the haze. Not a care in the world.... Tremendous

This absolutely. Never gets old. Would also add the sight of the sun setting over the Pyramid on a hot day and the feeling of a light breeze whipping up that hill. Glorious.

Also the first glimpse of the site when driving in by coach. Gets me every time!

Edited by Zoo Music Girl