East car parks & walking to East CV fields

carlosj

Is it really not possible to park up in the East car parks, and then walk to meet up with a van in the East CV fields on the Tuesday? I've seen one comment on this today, but can't find the earlier posts from other years.

We are driving down in 1 car and 1 van on Tuesday, with the intention of all meeting at the van. The car driver has a bad back so really needs to avoid sleeping in the car till Wednesday. Is there an easy way to do it, instead of walking back on the main road and walking down the CV lane?

Thanks.

17 hours ago, carlosj said:

Is it really not possible to park up in the East car parks, and then walk to meet up with a van in the East CV fields on the Tuesday? I've seen one comment on this today, but can't find the earlier posts from other years.

We are driving down in 1 car and 1 van on Tuesday, with the intention of all meeting at the van. The car driver has a bad back so really needs to avoid sleeping in the car till Wednesday. Is there an easy way to do it, instead of walking back on the main road and walking down the CV lane?

Thanks.

I too was surprised by this, however I must admit I have never seen much of a queue in E21 on Tuesday. The one year we were in E17 (2010) there was a massive queue through the field on Wednesday morning. Perhaps you could contact the festival to check? 

See my post lower down for updated information.

Edited by StoneCircle

1 hour ago, carlosj said:

Thanks.

Hi, East Camper user here. 

"Is it really not possible to park up in the East car parks, and then walk to meet up with a van in the East CV fields on the Tuesday?"

Yes, from what I have seen (& then read on the internet), in years gone by, it wasn't "the thing" to get from the car-park to the campervan field.  Why?  I can't say as I never tried (as I was in the campervan field).  I have assumed it was discouraged.

Before 2017, there was a technical advantage in going from the carpark to the campervan field.  Before 2017, this meant you could get to the front of the line (for East), cutting out all of those people who'd been in the carpark line. 

To answer your question though - in 2017, you would have been able to walk from where-ever you parked your car, to any campervan in East Campervan Fields on the Tuesday.  Will it be the same this year?  I cannot say.  I assume though, that you'll be fine. 

7 hours ago, carlosj said:

Thanks both.

Yes you can, I am a member of this Face book group https://www.facebook.com/groups/640886455928864/  and searched "Can you walk from east car parks to the campervan fields on Tuesday night" I am not able to post screenshots from these pages as its against the groups rules but of you join you will see in the top thread that someone contacted the festival and had a reply confirming that you can once the car parks have opened at 9pm. :)

1 minute ago, StoneCircle said:

Yes you can, I am a member of this Face book group https://www.facebook.com/groups/640886455928864/  and searched "Can you walk from east car parks to the campervan fields on Tuesday night" I am not able to post screenshots from these pages as its against the groups rules but of you join you will see in the top thread that someone contacted the festival and had a reply confirming that you can once the car parks have opened at 9pm. :)

Excellent, thanks. I'm in that group, so I'll read it now.

I also got this reply from GFL, for anyone else.

Thank you for your enquiry. Depending on which car park your friend is parked in they will be able to meet you on foot in the Campervan/Caravan fields. If both parked on the East side of the Festival they will be able to walk to meet you, similarly if you are both parked on the West side of the Festival. However as the Festival site does not open until the Wednesday morning, if arriving on the Tuesday and you are parked on opposite sides of the Festival, they will not be able to come and meet you.

Even when it was a kind of unwritten rule we managed to do this. My brother turned up in the east car parks, we were in cv E21, i walked out with my cv ticket and walked back in with him, no questions asked. To be honest I'd be surprised if h&s didn't frown a little at the festival opening the car parks and insisting people stay with the cars overnight.