The panoramic photo thread 2019

Wickedfaerie

Hi everyone; bad news I'm afraid. I had a call from Glastonbury Festivals this morning asking me to stop posting our photos at the request of Arcadia health and safety. Apparently they encourage people onto the site to see what's going on and they're worried about being prosecuted if there's an accident at the construction site.

I personally don't see how that's any different from the webcam, but there we are. So I'm sorry, there won't be more from us this year unfortunately. Perhaps they won't mind next year when the new Arcadia isn't a secret any more. 

3 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Have they told you to turn off your webcam too?

They didn't mention a webcam - probably as we haven't done it for the last couple of years - however we're pretty sure they only started doing one with BBC because we did it first!!

3 hours ago, Wickedfaerie said:

Hi everyone; bad news I'm afraid. I had a call from Glastonbury Festivals this morning asking me to stop posting our photos at the request of Arcadia health and safety. Apparently they encourage people onto the site to see what's going on and they're worried about being prosecuted if there's an accident at the construction site.

I personally don't see how that's any different from the webcam, but there we are. So I'm sorry, there won't be more from us this year unfortunately. Perhaps they won't mind next year when the new Arcadia isn't a secret any more. 

have they said you can continue once the fence is up ?.... 

Seems like nonsense to me, they're encouraging people to go onto the site by holding the festival, and let's not forget, they posted an Arcadia teaser video yesterday!

Why not just be honest and say it's because they don't want the new structures to be revealed in a higher definition than the webcam instead of hiding behind H&S?

In the United Kingdom there are no laws forbidding photography of private property from a public place.

Health and Safety seems to be everybody's go to excuse for banning things. If there is an H&S issue with unauthorised people on site then the solution is to keep them out; they could, for example, erect a Heras fence around the Arcadia work area to exclude people they don't want in there..

To use H&S as an excuse for not posting the pictures when it's on their webcam and they are posting promotional videos about it is ridiculous. Conversation in court would go something like;

Prosecutor "What measures did you take to keep members of the public out of your work site?"

Arcadia "We asked Wickedfaerie not to put pictures of it on the internet.

Judge "Guilty" 

• Upvote 1

Could you not just post pictures of every part of the site, except for Arcadia? Surely that way you'd be complying with their request re "H&S concerns"? Plus as @Raincatcher has said they can't stop you taking photos whilst you're either in a public place or on your own property! And as @Losing my hair says, they are heavily promoting it too - surely that creates more interest! And I'm pretty sure they could secure their site with Herras fencing, just as much as they do with any other part of the festival site during the build up.

Let's not forget that someone died during the construction/testing of Arcadia last time...

...you can understand their sensitivity to cameras being fixed on what must be one of the most potentially dangerous areas of the festival

Edited by dingbat2

8 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Let's not forget that someone died during the construction/testing of Arcadia last time...

...you can understand their sensitivity to cameras being fixed on what must be one of the most potentially dangerous areas of the festival

Then surely turn the webcam off rather than stop someone taking a static panoramic photograph. This is nothing to do with H&S and everything to do with controlling the media released about the festival.

See also the glastomap website

18 minutes ago, Raincatcher said:

Then surely turn the webcam off rather than stop someone taking a static panoramic photograph. This is nothing to do with H&S and everything to do with controlling the media released about the festival.

See also the glastomap website

Although to be fair it's their festival. They can do want they want as far as I'm concerned. I don't have to like it though.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Although to be fair it's their festival. They can do want they want as far as I'm concerned. I don't have to like it though.

That's true enough and I'm fine with them attempting to control the media they can feasibly expect to. 

Wicked faerie's panoramics are, however, something they can't control and they've just come up with some nonsense reason to try and do so. Dishonesty is never a good look imo

It's just a bit off really

56 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yes and no. Its our festival in many ways cos without us its nothing. However, we should repect their request nonetheless.

I know legally I can take photos from my own land and do what I want with them, however it's a tricky situation - I don't want to annoy Glastonbury Festivals. BUT now I've discovered that Arcadia have released that video (which I didn't know about this morning) I'm a bit pissed off actually that they're blaming me for members of the public coming onto the site to have a look at it?!! Once the fence is up, I don't see why the photos can't resume. And yes, if they want to talk to me honestly about wanting to keep it secret, rather than giving me (what I suspect is) crap about health and safety, I can miss that bit of the landscape out. We'll see if the conversation continues.

• Upvote 5

To be honest, they'll surely be people coming onto the site to take a look at it regardless of whether you are posting picture on here or not. Arcadia are a victim of their own success in regards to that and I don't personally see there being anything wrong in people satisfying their own curiosity. In any case, signs to the public are up warning people that entry to the site is prohibited due to H&S.

I loved this post. See know harm in it personally, especially as you are a local resident and entitled.

Total bollox, keep taking pics WF. They should have had a decent security system up and running well over 2 weeks ago if they had any sense. Wakey wakey GF, you're probably the most talked about festival in the world or aren't you aware of that yet!?

• Downvote 1