Glasto Leave

Aragorn

I've got into the habit of booking the week before, the week of and the week after (Sun - Sat).

This year for some forgotten reason I've got the week of and the two weeks after. Only gives me a couple of days to get ready (panic).

Great thread. You reminded me and tonight I have put in my annual leave request for 2020 :)

All i'll say to those who take a day or more off work before the festival is I made that mistake once.

I had the Monday off prior to us going down on the Tuesday.

I'd packed, un-packed to check, re-packed etc. over the weekend so that was all done.

I quite simply had nothing to fill my time with. I was fidgety, nervous, excited & a million other emotions rolled in to one. 

Time has never moved as slowly as it did on that day for me and i've worked every Monday pre leaving for the festival since just to keep my mind busy!

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

All i'll say to those who take a day or more off work before the festival is I made that mistake once.

I had the Monday off prior to us going down on the Tuesday.

I'd packed, un-packed to check, re-packed etc. over the weekend so that was all done.

I quite simply had nothing to fill my time with. I was fidgety, nervous, excited & a million other emotions rolled in to one. 

Time has never moved as slowly as it did on that day for me and i've worked every Monday pre leaving for the festival since just to keep my mind busy!

That's one reason why work Monday and Tuesday before the festival.

Pack on the weekend and then keep busy knowing that all is sorted.

A few years ago my mate came over from Dublin on the Monday so I had the Tuesday off work. We predictably ended up in the pub all day getting pissed and sampling the goodies we had. Not the best idea we've had.

15 hours ago, lobo said:

Proper demented demonic dreams. We all made a little refugee camp in the living room and took it in shifts sleeping so we could drag each other out of the nightmares. Then I had some sort of fever and was spewing for two days.

Do you live in a Nightmare on Elm Street film?!

Back to work on the Tuesday but will have to pick the kids up from school on the Monday as soon as we get back. Me and the hubby will have to draw straws on who has to be sensible on the Sunday night ?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Wed-Wed off this year.  I could probably do with a little extra but unfortunately all my annual leave is otherwise accounted for.  

Previous years it wasn't as bad as I did the rota for my service so could quite easily arrange my shifts so that I only had to take a few hours of annual leave to get over a week off. Now that I'm stuck behind a desk in a 9-5, I don't have the same luxury but I don't have to manage a service for people with mental health, learning disabilities and acquired brain injuries so at least my current position is infinitely less stressful, if more mundane.

Some of these responses, you lot are mentalists, or machines!

Booked off from Wednesday 26th, returning to work on Monday 8th July. Hopefully by that time the brain zaps will have subsided, I'll have stopped crying, and I'll be able to hold down a normal conversation.

Other festivals I've gone back on the Tuesday, but Glastonbury is too physically demanding to even consider going back before the Thursday.

Had the Monday to Tuesday booked off with a hotel stay near the site on Tuesday night. 

We've decided that we are going to drive down Tuesday night now (get a few hours sleep first) so changed from Tuesday to Wednesday for extra recovery. 

Plan is to do an 100 mile bike ride on the Tuesday before the fest make my tired for a evening kip. 

In 2010 I had to go back to work on the Tuesday, it took me another 5 years to recover enough to make it back again. Although I did get married and have a child during this time.  Last year I went to Beatherder and the only day I could get my first aid refresher book in, was the Tuesday after. This is something I never want to experience again, between holding down being sick and the paranoia, I'm not quite sure how I made it through.