Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi, 

I've had an EPO band for several years but don't actually work the festival. I was wondering if it is possible to get on site early with these wristbands and what the deal with staff bars is if someone could help? Have been for 6 years and would love to see the site empty and behind the scenes!!

Edited by louise126x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, louise126x said:

Hi, 

I've had an EPO band for several years but don't actually work the festival. I was wondering if it is possible to get on site early with these wristbands and what the deal with staff bars is if someone could help? Have been for 6 years and would love to see the site empty and behind the scenes!!

The EPO bands change each year just as wristbands for punters do. 

Edited by StoneCircle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StoneCircle said:

The EPO bands change each year just as wristbands for punters do. 

Sorry should have made that clearer! I have one for this year as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should be able to, you won't be able to camp in there until the wednesday though - unless you have crew camping sorted!.

The EPO band should get you in some, if not most of the staff bars.  if in doubt, just walk in like you belong there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's 2 types of EPO band.

Regular EPO bands are considered generic staff wristband (most non-area specific staff camped outside the fence have them) and yes they'll get you on site on the Monday or Tuesday before the festival and should get you access to staff bars.

Worth View also have their own type of EPO bands (that usually look very similar to the Staff ones). They won't get you on site early, and officially won't get you access to the Staff bars but plenty people have had success trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, and the advice given by @Kinkyinuit regarding camping on site is really important - security do proactively police public campsites on the Monday and Tuesday to stop staff camping there and will take down any tents they find. You might be able to find a sheltered area out of their gaze, but I wouldn't want to rely on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@incident @Kinkyinuit

Thank you! It was the generic EPO wristband I have and don't worry wasn't planning on setting up a tent but noted! Little bit cheeky but have heard rumours of people using their EPOs for shortcuts through places such as when they divert everyone the long way round Shangri la. Don't suppose you have any information on this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shortcuts - Varies. There are a limited number of none-public routes that you can use (the ones I'm aware of are more around the farmhouse), but most places will require an area-specific wristband or an apropriate laminate. I don't know what the story is with the SE corner.

Out of place - Not really. By the Monday plenty of staff / traders will have started to arrive and especially by the Tuesday afternoon there'll be plenty people doing similar wanders. By Tuesday early evening a few of the food stalls in the main market will even start to open as most workers will have finished their preparation and relax with a pint and some food (or take the chance to get a few extra sales) before the public arrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get access to the shortcuts with my disabled access. They are an absolute godsend for me. Sure there is one that brings you out at the se corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, incident said:

Shortcuts - Varies. There are a limited number of none-public routes that you can use (the ones I'm aware of are more around the farmhouse), but most places will require an area-specific wristband or an apropriate laminate. I don't know what the story is with the SE corner.

Out of place - Not really. By the Monday plenty of staff / traders will have started to arrive and especially by the Tuesday afternoon there'll be plenty people doing similar wanders. By Tuesday early evening a few of the food stalls in the main market will even start to open as most workers will have finished their preparation and relax with a pint and some food (or take the chance to get a few extra sales) before the public arrive.

Am sure I read last time there is actually a way to circumnavigate the south east corner entrance and get directly into Shangri La

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Am sure I read last time there is actually a way to circumnavigate the south east corner entrance and get directly into Shangri La

There is, through Theatre & Circus camping, one of the best things about pitching up there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been hearing mutterings that there couldbe changes to the crew EPO system this year caused by themass of fake EPOs that got flown in from China two years ago.

GFL are very very good at ironing out problems identifiedin previous years.

Will update if I hear any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Been hearing mutterings that there couldbe changes to the crew EPO system this year caused by themass of fake EPOs that got flown in from China two years ago.

GFL are very very good at ironing out problems identifiedin previous years.

Will update if I hear any more.

They were quite easy to spot though (once they were identified) though, as they all had the same number on them and genuine EPO's were individually numbered and registered to specific people, and the colour was a bit off.

Don't doubt that there will be some changes if it was identified as a problem though.  Quite a lot of places do scan in and out nowadays - would be tough to do with everyone (just too many people) but you could do it for the subset of EPO's, which are just a few '000s

Edited by jfaragher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been an ambition of mine to be there on the Tuesday night. I know a couple of people who regularly work there and they send me pictures of them relaxing in one of the bars, and wondering around the site, before it's ruined by the rest of us!

I may have had the chance to get an early entry ticket this year, but I was struggling with getting that much time off work, and then I got a regular ticket in the resale so will 'settle' for that.

Maybe next year

 

Edited by uscore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

They were quite easy to spot though (once they were identified) though, as they all had the same number on them and genuine EPO's were individually numbered and registered to specific people, and the colour was a bit off.

Don't doubt that there will be some changes if it was identified as a problem though.  Quite a lot of places do scan in and out nowadays - would be tough to do with everyone (just too many people) but you could do it for the subset of EPO's, which are just a few '000s

So that explains the extra interest in our Worthy View bands, as we passed in/out of the site after the first day or two!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All SE areas have their own RBs. Regularly get Shang bands but you can't go backwards through the common for example. They quite hot on it. 

Shhh about the back way in you lot. God send 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2019 at 12:55 PM, Aragorn said:

Am sure I read last time there is actually a way to circumnavigate the south east corner entrance and get directly into Shangri La

There are!

On 5/2/2019 at 1:37 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

There is, through Theatre & Circus camping, one of the best things about pitching up there!

I'll have to investigate this one. My usual one was the one that dumps you by the longdrops near Deluxe Diner.

23 hours ago, elbongo said:

Shhh about the back way in you lot. God send 

This! There was a lot of talk about my way before 2017 and guess what... it was very well secured in 2017! Of course, feel free to PM me any ways that you know of besides the one from Stone Circle...

Edited by herzzreh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't EPO a way of performance enhancement. Seem to remember lance Armstrong indulging in a bit of EPO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Just heard that people on site are saying that EPOs are going to be electronic this year.

This sounds a great way to avoid the scammers.

On 5/2/2019 at 4:40 PM, incident said:

Shortcuts - Varies. There are a limited number of none-public routes that you can use (the ones I'm aware of are more around the farmhouse), but most places will require an area-specific wristband or an apropriate laminate.

I'm a volunteer and got off-site camping this year. It'd be really useful if we could access the site through Marys gate or similar cos it's a bit of a trek. So fingers crossed....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lipgloss and Cigarettes said:

How would that work then? Any further info/gossip appreciated :)

Don't know, surely not QR codes and readers like at Boomtown etc. They'd be better off just reverting everyone to the standard passout system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RFID chips embedded in the wristbands? They can be activated in batches when being doled out, and then checked in/out at the gates. They can have their authorisations removed in person or remotely, and then that wouldn’t grant entry. It’s a reasonably simple system (based on the fact I have it at work on a psych ward, and I work for the NHS where everything is done on a simplistic, shoestring budget of course 🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...