17 minutes ago, mrfunk said:

Being polite... Your a Prick mate...

Yes it is stealing... Why should you get in for free? And others pay..  Do you just fill up a trolley in Tesco, and run out without paying? 

Not a jobs worth, just awesome at doing my job to protect the licence... The only weekends ruined were for the hundreds we stopped, coming in. 

So much so, I was given a reward for catching people trying it on...  With wristband issues.. 

If you are so desperate to go, then why don't you work the fest..? Or are you one of the entitled generation. 

I really just don't understand how you simply just can't accept the simple act that the festival is sold out? 

Many of us worked so hard to stop pricks like you, spoiling the fun of others, and to protect the licence.. 

Good luck next time. 

oh look you are being sanctimonious again, only this time throwing insults into the equation.

Its not stealing anything and the Tesco comparison you made there was stupid and immature. You know full well it isn't even a comparison. I haven't heard anyone complain yet that someone with no wristband stole their spot in the queue for the long drops.

You don't seem to realise that those who bunk in, almost every time are not getting in for free. They have paid someone for the wristband, drive them in etc etc. So stop with this nonsense "why should some people get in free when others have to pay". People that break in would probably happily pay if they could actually get a ticket. I get that they could maybe work but working is a bit of a pain In the arse when you want to actually enjoy the weekend.

Whenever I break in, I don't go around spoiling other peoples fun. I go around having a great time contributing to the vibe of the festival and indeed the pockets of the bar and the traders. Why does it matter to you whether the next person has a valid wristband or not? they are not doing any harm. This stuff with the license- as has been discussed this has been going on for years, your valiant awesome hard work that you got a reward for (what was it by the way, a shiny medal?) doesn't make an ounce of difference to the license, wise up. You are just awesome at ruining peoples weekends by being that guy on the gate who everyone thinks is a nob!

• Downvote 5

4 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

oh look you are being sanctimonious again, only this time throwing insults into the equation.

Its not stealing anything and the Tesco comparison you made there was stupid and immature. You know full well it isn't even a comparison. I haven't heard anyone complain yet that someone with no wristband stole their spot in the queue for the long drops.

You don't seem to realise that those who bunk in, almost every time are not getting in for free. They have paid someone for the wristband, drive them in etc etc. So stop with this nonsense "why should some people get in free when others have to pay". People that break in would probably happily pay if they could actually get a ticket. I get that they could maybe work but working is a bit of a pain In the arse when you want to actually enjoy the weekend.

Whenever I break in, I don't go around spoiling other peoples fun. I go around having a great time contributing to the vibe of the festival and indeed the pockets of the bar and the traders. Why does it matter to you whether the next person has a valid wristband or not? they are not doing any harm. This stuff with the license- as has been discussed this has been going on for years, your valiant awesome hard work that you got a reward for (what was it by the way, a shiny medal?) doesn't make an ounce of difference to the license, wise up. You are just awesome at ruining peoples weekends by being that guy on the gate who everyone thinks is a nob!

But unfortunately if you times yourself by 20,000 , then there could be major repercussions.

Thats why the have the superfence  -  Glastonbury Festival need to keep the numbers right to continue to get a licence from the council.

If the council think an extra 20,000 got in there could be problems 

17 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

It's Knob by the way, learn to spell. Or maybe if you could spell, you could afford more computers etc to improve your chances of a ticket. 

No just doing my duty, to safeguard and to respect the paying punters. 

The reward was very substantial, worth catching selfish pricks like you.. 

14 minutes ago, mrfunk said:

It's Knob by the way, learn to spell. Or maybe if you could spell, you could afford more computers etc to improve your chances of a ticket. 

No just doing my duty, to safeguard and to respect the paying punters. 

The reward was very substantial, worth catching selfish pricks like you.. 

You sound like an angry young man, I suppose you would have to be if you volunteer to work for free with the intention of spoiling peoples weekends. No friends when you were growing up, no?

Anyway, there is no point arguing anymore with someone who would probably grass up a family member to the police for stealing a apple from a greengrocer.

Despite what you think you are actually going against the spirit of Glastonbury, even against what the owner has previously said he doesn't mind happening.  The saddest thing is you actually feel vindicated by your actions and are clearly on a weird one man crusade to stop people sneaking in, which is pointless in that by stopping people getting in you are achieving literally nothing.

I'm all for the festival doing everything it can to keep out those without legitimate tickets.

I'm willing to bet the vast majority of tent thefts are committed by the ticketless (although that's not to say the majority of ticketless are guilty of anything other than desperation). 

Also, if this leads to a few thousand fewer people on site, that means a few thousand more tickets can be made available to legitimate punters (which is exactly what happened after the superfence first went up).

What's more, anything that gives touts a massive kick in the nuts is good by me.

5 hours ago, Sack truck said:

Was security making a mint from getting people in for free. Loads round us who had paid £350 each. Said security working in teams of 4 and the guys that got them in had made over £50k up to Saturday. Said they were just one group of which there were a few. Seemed to be more than ever in for free 

Out of interest, were they wearing any kind of valid looking wristband?

1 hour ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

You don't seem to realise that those who bunk in, almost every time are not getting in for free. They have paid someone for the wristband, drive them in etc etc. So stop with this nonsense "why should some people get in free when others have to pay".

But they haven't Glastonbury Festivals so a proportion that money doesn't get get the charities the festival support. You're actually stealing from those charities - but I guess that's no concern of yours.

Edited by Ommadawn

4 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

It is generally accepted that tent thieves are well organised and buy tickets to ensure they get in smoothly so they can get their booty.

Although, with Glastonbury being harder to get tickets, maybe it is slightly different. Its hard to tell.

You can't tell for sure, but in the years before the superfence, tent thefts happened at Glastonbury on an industrial scale, whereas these days they are thankfully much rarer.

So there's definitely a massive correlation between the numbers of illegitimate entrants and the number of tent thefts.

mr funk - he’s trolling, just chill, you did a good and needed job, thank you for your efforts.

jim - don’t be such a git. I see your point, but don’t try to tell us you're enhancing anything, you’re not. And I don’t agree re tent thefts, it is not “generally accepted” that they buy tickers, what’s your source?

Whether the person broke in or not, the charities wouldn't be getting any of their money, as they technically aren't supposed to be at the festival. So it doesn't matter, it is not depriving them of any of money they get each year. Makes no difference at all, so don't try and play the stealing from charities card, its overly dramatic and sounds rather silly.

11 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

mr funk - he’s trolling, just chill, you did a good and needed job, thank you for your efforts.

jim - don’t be such a git. I see your point, but don’t try to tell us you're enhancing anything, you’re not. And I don’t agree re tent thefts, it is not “generally accepted” that they buy tickers, what’s your source?

Im not 'trolling', these are my points of view , whether or not people are going to agree with it or not.

I cannot remember and wont be able to find this source, but I recall hearing it on good authority that gangs buy tickets so they are less inconspicuous before doing their dirty work.

Think about it- whats £200 for a ticket compared to what they can potentially steal once in? Why bother getting caught trying to get in before you have even begun to get at the tents?

Like I said though, it may be different with Glastonbury given how hard it is to get a ticket. But I am pretty sure at festivals like Boomtown etc, the bastards have tickets and valid wristbands.

Edited by jimbarkanoodle

I see your point, if my “business” was systematically robbing tents then I need to get in so I can start work and £250 is my entrance investment. Sad state of affairs, hope they catch their balls on a rusty barbed wire fence and suffer a painful infection, in fact I don’t mind if the infection is terminal.

i still don’t buy the vibe enhancement claim! Volunteers/workers definitely add to the vibe a considerable amount more than anybody that bunks in.

On 6/28/2019 at 9:29 AM, WillyVWade said:

Wouldn't need constant network. You could run a DB for this job on a smartphone, and download the new records periodically (I imagine the content wouldn't change much once ticket holders are on site sucking up all the 4Gs).

Then use that smartphone to scan the bands.

Hmmmm, might have just had both a business idea, and a way to get in next year...

Are they not using something already to a degree - all tickets are barcoded/QR coded and upon entry/exit they are scanned against some sort of database. We’re perhaps already half way towards RFID bands for all. 

7 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

I see your point, if my “business” was systematically robbing tents then I need to get in so I can start work and £250 is my entrance investment. Sad state of affairs, hope they catch their balls on a rusty barbed wire fence and suffer a painful infection, in fact I don’t mind if the infection is terminal.

i still don’t buy the vibe enhancement claim! Volunteers/workers definitely add to the vibe a considerable amount more than anybody that bunks in.

It's interesting spending a shift or two directly with security to hear how many folks they manage to catch, I doubt anyone would be too keen to spend much time in the back of the eviction crew vans

26 minutes ago, not worthy said:

It's interesting spending a shift or two directly with security to hear how many folks they manage to catch, I doubt anyone would be too keen to spend much time in the back of the eviction crew vans

I left the site on Saturday early morning to get a garden parasol from Argos. Picked up a hitcher on the way back from Shelton Mallet. He’d been trying to get in for a couple of days. Was upbeat, but said he would hitch back to Brum if it didn't work this time. His main irritation was that they take you back to Gate A each time and then he had to walk around the outside to find his mate and start the next attempt. He said he’d bring a grappling iron next time. I suggested he just volunteer!

52 minutes ago, not worthy said:

Tent thieves? What actually happens to them? I would assume and hope they are handed over to the Police each time.

4 hours ago, dartmoordog said:

Out of interest, were they wearing any kind of valid looking wristband?

They got bands to get in then taken off them. Don’t know all the details but one guy said he was given two which showed he’d lost his ticket then got both taken off inside. 

It also sounded like the majority got driven in but don’t know about others. One of the groups were there just to sell ket as were happy to tell anyone they had 500 bags of it in with them (they seemed annoyed on last day moaning that most people seemed to have brought their own stuff)

5 hours ago, tumbles said:

42% drop in reported crime v 2017. Any coincidence ? 

Wow, that’s an impressive drop. I think there is a link to better management of the gates to reduce non ticket holders getting in, but that’s just my opinion, not sure how it can be proved/disproved, but whatever the reason, it’s great

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sack truck said:

Was security making a mint from getting people in for free. Loads round us who had paid £350 each. Said security working in teams of 4 and the guys that got them in had made over £50k up to Saturday. Said they were just one group of which there were a few. Seemed to be more than ever in for free 

This is exactly the long winded point I was making earlier. Takes the full on piss. We all know there are ways and means but rather than bunging your mate £150 (which ultimately he spends in the festival anyway) you have to pay these absolute bandits and contribute towards organised crime

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

Sounds like you were probably a jobsworth stopping people you were suspicious of. Hope you are pleased you ruined quite a few peoples weekends by the sounds of it.

Sneaking into Glastonbury is not stealing, so don't be so sanctimonious. It sells out every year in minutes and people who go to festivals all their lives cannot get tickets as they are hoovered up by well off people with multiple devices in their fancy houses in the home counties. As others have said Glastonbury are well aware of people sneaking in each year and generally don't mind, its only the arsehole who made loads of fake bands last year that has made them bring this in. I am pretty sure I read an interview with Michael Eavis who encouraged those who cannot afford a ticket to get in any means they can. So don't think you are doing a heroic deed on behalf of Glastonbury by stopping desperate people at the gate who have paid someone a lot of money to borrow a band with the sole intention of going into the festival and having the time of their lives.

Hang on... If someone gets in, then fair play and all that and I hope they have a good time, but to be fair I think some security need to stop some people. If none of the security tried to stop fake bands there could be about 400,000 in there as everyone would cotton on the fact you could just walk in. Whilst it adds to the fun that some get in, it needs to be a challenge to some degree or everyone would be there.

I know a fair number of people who got in on other peoples tickets (and in one case the steward made it fairly clear that they knew) but this is obviously less of an issue as even if it isn't theirs it is accounted for. However, again, the fact that people can be turned away is what keeps touting down.

• Upvote 1

Well I had a shitloads of pms after my post about a way round the epo band thing. Not going to reply to them all so may as well post in here.

3 of my mates had arranged to get in via an epo blag. They had to pay a £30 deposit last year and it was another £270 when they were inside. They were apparently planning to get 300 people in. These are organised people, planning to make serious amounts of cash. When the barcoded epo news emerged, this group got working on ways round it. They were contacting people, telling them still to travel down as they would get in. Apparently they had found a solution. 

At that point I left to catch my coach from Lincoln and did not speak to my mate till much later.

It seems the group did find a way of getting some people in, but not the numbers they had exepected. They turned their phones off later on the Wednesday so my mates had to try other means, as they were already down there.

In the end they found someone who got them in for £400 each. How they got in, I have not got to the bottom of. Yet they got in and were assured by the person who got them in, that he could get them in every year.

These scams seem to be large scale operations. Some people are making ridiculous amounts of money.  It just shows though, that it is still not particularly difficult to gain entry, even after the epo improvements.