On 6/19/2019 at 2:22 PM, juuceman said:

Assuming they've gone RFID, the tech works well here in the US at Coachella, Lollapalooza, and any number of other festivals with 100,000+ people coming and going per day. The scanners need consistent network access to work and so long as that's there it takes 5-10 seconds/person to tap and have the reader come back with a red or green light. I'm surprised they haven't gone to thus system yet at Glastonbury, but assume the investment wasn't worth it due to the vast majority of people staying on site throughout the entire event.

Wouldn't need constant network. You could run a DB for this job on a smartphone, and download the new records periodically (I imagine the content wouldn't change much once ticket holders are on site sucking up all the 4Gs).

Then use that smartphone to scan the bands.

Hmmmm, might have just had both a business idea, and a way to get in next year...

13 minutes ago, WillyVWade said:

Wouldn't need constant network. You could run a DB for this job on a smartphone, and download the new records periodically (I imagine the content wouldn't change much once ticket holders are on site sucking up all the 4Gs).

Then use that smartphone to scan the bands.

Hmmmm, might have just had both a business idea, and a way to get in next year...

That actually seems to be roughly how it works. A device that looks like a smartphone zaps and does a quick check. Occasionally it takes an extra second,  but it seems to be working that way

13 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

That actually seems to be roughly how it works. A device that looks like a smartphone zaps and does a quick check. Occasionally it takes an extra second,  but it seems to be working that way

Well there goes my plan for money and unlimited Glastonbury.

Maybe if I was working, and not on here, I could have money and afford a ticket...

3 minutes ago, Jackmypie said:

So what’s the deal with the easy pass out? I’ve got a village ticket but usually we get EPO’s and can swap around wristbands with mates to they can get in. Guess that doesn’t work this year ?

They’re apparently QR barcoded & being scanned in and out. But I have heard muttering of friends having some luck at a certain gate. I don’t really know how though 

The bands are scanned in and out and they know which side of the fence it should be so you can't enter twice in a row etc. Having said that, I got scanned out at gate c yesterday and it seemed to work, but then coming back in it reckoned I was still inside the festival. Guy just shrugged and let me in.

its pretty late now so its probably discussable.. some of my friends made it with the standard EPO  at gates that weren't scanning. As far as im aware this wasnt A,B, C or D. but they  were vague on the details. (twatted in a field in somerset)

observations: With at least one gate not scanning bands out then the system doesnt work at all, hence theyll probably shrug at you & send you on your way..

I'm currently working on a gate scanning epo bands.. Rest assured, any discrepancy - security and management arrive.. 

We have stopped so many trying it on, so good luck trying to scam your way.. Also a big thank you from all the punters who have paid to get in... And not steal their access from Glastonbury Festival 

• Upvote 3

Long time lurker, thought I'd weigh in with my thoughts.

Now I know the EPO trick has been around for 10+ years. The festival management are not stupid. They will have known this was happening and were evidently happy for it to continue in a limited capacity. Could of shut it down at any point with pass out slips like a standard punter before QR tech was available.. 

I once bought two EPO bands from a lady who's husband was given them by Michael Eavis directly. She sold them to me as her son didn't want to go and would rather have the money to buy a Playstation ?‍♂️

Why now? Well the fake EPO bands from last year seemed to be a real dealbreaker. They were easy too spot as they all had the same serial number on them. This seems to have sparked the change and I think it has inadvertently made a change for the worse.

Whereas before, I have known people to 'get in' using the old trick for face value or less. The mate gets a bit of extra cash to enjoy the festival and everyone has a good time. Now the reality is much worse....... You only had to visit anywhere in Shepton Mallet  from Tuesday to Saturday where it was full of a certain type of folk selling fake tickets, fake pass out slips,  real pass out slips, scamming people. There's another way which I won't share any details but I'm sure you can find with a quick search, had people paying £2000+ for entry to the festival on the black market.

I met a guy on the road with 10+ people in tow. Charging them £100 to use a ladder he'd set up. £100 wasn't even guaranteed. These people were all up for it. One came all the way from Japan with the sole intention of getting in by any means (What a guy)

Security driving people in from the road for £1000. 

I spoke to people who were sneaking in for £600+ and actually said to me he had no choice but to tent rob once he was inside to pay the entry. Others were weighing up other unscrupulous ways in which to justify the cost. Absolute madness. 

All that's happened now is a vacuum has been created and quickly filled with shady, dodgy people and inadvertently a black market has been created where a lot of people I know personally have been screwed this year.

Now going back to my first point about festival management being aware of it in a limited capacity, maybe they were right all along. I think the pro's outweigh the cons.........Very few people are always going to be determined to get in regardless. Why not be a

Either way the QR's are probably here to stay and I for one think the festival and particularly the local area is worse off for it. I love the festival and resent some of the petty criticism's it receives from small minded locals putting the licensing in jeopardy sometimes, however bringing increased crime to the local supermarket/pub aint exactly a great look ?

As for some of the other comments referencing these people stealing from the festival. They but merchandise, food, drink, take parts in crafts and various other activities which all indirectly support the festival. Many I know personally donate the ticket cost to one of the charities when they have got in for free. Not everyone is a scumbag

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I have been scanning in and out all through the weekend and there definitely seems to be a problem when you scan out at one gate and in at another. Happened twice and in both instances the crew took me inside and scanned out and in to make sure the band was saying ‘in’ before releasing me into the festival. No ID was asked for on both these occasions which kind of makes a mockery of the whole system.

Edited by kevin0410

5 hours ago, kevin0410 said:

I have been scanning in and out all through the weekend and there definitely seems to be a problem when you scan out at one gate and in at another. Happened twice and in both instances the crew took me inside and scanned out and in to make sure the band was saying ‘in’ before releasing me into the festival. No ID was asked for on both these occasions which kind of makes a mockery of the whole system.

Your issues have been raised with the office, rest assured changes are being made as we speak... 

Was security making a mint from getting people in for free. Loads round us who had paid £350 each. Said security working in teams of 4 and the guys that got them in had made over £50k up to Saturday. Said they were just one group of which there were a few. Seemed to be more than ever in for free 

12 hours ago, kevin0410 said:

am pretty sure the data will be reviewed, and anything more than an occasional inconsistency is likely to be noticed.

Talking of noticing, the EPO traffic at gate C definitely seemed less than i've seen in previous years,

Yeah I do wonder if this year was less about enforcing it and more discovering exactly who has been abusing it. Those folk are likely to find ways around any system- the best option is to identify them and ensure they don’t come back, hence not announcing the new system ahead of time.

There is something that has made me curious, but I’m not sure if it’s linked or not. After failing in the main coach and normal sale I enquired with Lovefields (as they’d been able to provide tickets with accommodation previously) but they said they didn’t have any and to check back after the resale. When I failed in the resale I checked back and they did have a small amount. Then about a week or two before they were advertising loads of different ticket packages for sale.

It does make me wonder if the previous slackness of the EPO system meant they automatically allowed for this within the general ticket allocation? So held back more normal tickets.

The reason I say this it’s strange Lovefields had initially no tickets, and then all of a sudden they had a load just before the festival, and they were also EPO bands not normal tickets. If they through they’d closed a loophole with the new system maybe that meant they could free up some extra tickets?

If true the new system isn’t really unfair, there will always be security people etc looking to make a few quid sneaking people in, but it meant the old system took tickets away from paying punters who really wanted to go too.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, mrfunk said:

I'm currently working on a gate scanning epo bands.. Rest assured, any discrepancy - security and management arrive.. 

We have stopped so many trying it on, so good luck trying to scam your way.. Also a big thank you from all the punters who have paid to get in... And not steal their access from Glastonbury Festival 

Sounds like you were probably a jobsworth stopping people you were suspicious of. Hope you are pleased you ruined quite a few peoples weekends by the sounds of it.

Sneaking into Glastonbury is not stealing, so don't be so sanctimonious. It sells out every year in minutes and people who go to festivals all their lives cannot get tickets as they are hoovered up by well off people with multiple devices in their fancy houses in the home counties. As others have said Glastonbury are well aware of people sneaking in each year and generally don't mind, its only the arsehole who made loads of fake bands last year that has made them bring this in. I am pretty sure I read an interview with Michael Eavis who encouraged those who cannot afford a ticket to get in any means they can. So don't think you are doing a heroic deed on behalf of Glastonbury by stopping desperate people at the gate who have paid someone a lot of money to borrow a band with the sole intention of going into the festival and having the time of their lives.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

11 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

Sounds like you were probably a jobsworth stopping people you were suspicious of. Hope you are pleased you ruined quite a few peoples weekends by the sounds of it.

Sneaking into Glastonbury is not stealing, so don't be so sanctimonious. It sells out every year in minutes and people who go to festivals all their lives cannot get tickets as they are hoovered up by well off people with multiple devices in their fancy houses in the home counties. As others have said Glastonbury are well aware of people sneaking in each year and generally don't mind, its only the arsehole who made loads of fake bands last year that has made them bring this in. I am pretty sure I read an interview with Michael Eavis who encouraged those who cannot afford a ticket to get in any means they can. So don't think you are doing a heroic deed on behalf of Glastonbury by stopping desperate people at the gate who have paid someone a lot of money to borrow a band with the sole intention of going into the festival and having the time of their lives.

Fancy houses in the home counties? Haha. Chip/shoulder much. 

I personally couldn't care less if people jib in, but it does "steal" some amenity from people who have paid to be there in terms of bigger crowds etc etc. 

And Mr..Eavis may not care, but Mendip District Council do,  and it is they who issue the licence. 

Btw there is also an obvious security issue with unmamed peeps gaining access. 

Edited by Ohinever

18 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

Being polite... Your a Prick mate...

Yes it is stealing... Why should you get in for free? And others pay..  Do you just fill up a trolley in Tesco, and run out without paying? 

Not a jobs worth, just awesome at doing my job to protect the licence... The only weekends ruined were for the hundreds we stopped, coming in. 

So much so, I was given a reward for catching people trying it on...  With wristband issues.. 

If you are so desperate to go, then why don't you work the fest..? Or are you one of the entitled generation. 

I really just don't understand how you simply just can't accept the simple act that the festival is sold out? 

Many of us worked so hard to stop pricks like you, spoiling the fun of others, and to protect the licence.. 

Good luck next time. 

• Upvote 8

29 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

Does it help to know that the license is strict on capacity breeches and is tested by mystery shoppers trying out every scam possible.

The results of these become part of the performance and license review. folks checking this stuff are keeping the festival there for everyone to enjoy for a long as poss

Just now, not worthy said:

Does it help to know that the license is strict on capacity breeches and is tested by mystery shoppers trying out every scam possible.

The results of these become part of the performance and license review. folks checking this stuff are keeping the festival there for everyone to enjoy for a long as poss

FYI yes mystery shoppers were in place 100%, one of buddies stopped them, and gained a reward.. So yes the entry process, is tested to the max