1 hour ago, Penrhos said:

The guys in the tent next to me in 2017 had fake EPO wristbands and said all their mates had got in with them too so it's been a well exploited loophole that needed closing "For the sake of the festival's license". 

If they are RFID and it works well then hopefully all the 2020 wristbands will be RFID as I'm so paranoid about losing my pass-out ticket and it'd be one less thing to worry about.

Me and my mate struck up conversation with a lad from Newcastle just before Liam Gallagher in 2017 who said he had got in via a fake EPO band...thought he was talking shit to start with but he did have one on and then heard the rumours not long after so guess he was one.

he said a group of them had been in Glastonbury town centre awaiting an amount of bands but the guy who was selling them turned up nearly 24 hours late so they missed a lot of the Friday ?‍♂️

If they go RFID there's no reason why you couldn't charge them up with cash and use them at the bars to pay (plus they could RU21 encode them as well so age checks would be a simple scan of the wristband). 

6 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

If they go RFID there's no reason why you couldn't charge them up with cash and use them at the bars to pay (plus they could RU21 encode them as well so age checks would be a simple scan of the wristband). 

Blue Dot are forcing the use of preloaded wristbands this year and there's a lot of pissed off punters (myself included) as they didn't mention it until the tickets were sent out.  I wouldn't mind it in addition to cash and contactless card but let the punter decide FFS

20 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

I've seen this tried before.... Was a bit of a clusterfudge..

57 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Much much much easier to run wired connections to the gates then it is to have every bar and food seller use the POS to do this. The wireless networks probably won't be able to handle it, and the system to check access is much different than that of processing payments. 

6 hours ago, czuk said:

I got told that someone made £45k one year. That's taking the piss.

Don’t  surprise me . As has been said it’s a loophole that needed closing. I already know of people who had there usual route( and one they have used for years )  into the fest scuppered due to this potential move. 

17 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Sorry, but that often isn't the case. Trust me on that. 

Do you work the festival?

I know people that do. To be fair I only know a few very specific roles so I am talking a little bollocks it is true

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

Don’t  surprise me . As has been said it’s a loophole that needed closing. I already know of people who had there usual route( and one they have used for years )  into the fest scuppered due to this potential move. 

Things change - I used to love the fact Campervan East had priority over the Tuesday night car park entries to Gate C - until they didn't (see 2017).  Things change. 

Quite a lot of people contribute a fair bit to the festival in the build up to the fest, who don't work full time or part time on the site. Sometimes these people can't pay for a ticket or are unlucky with the draw. Instead they give what they can, without guaranteed entry, in the hope that they'll get an EPO.

Sometimes these people deserve to get in. To my mind they are people that give Glastonbury some of it's character.

Glastonbury is a poorer place without a few slipping under or over the fence, in whatever way.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, juuceman said:

Assuming they've gone RFID, the tech works well here in the US at Coachella, Lollapalooza, and any number of other festivals with 100,000+ people coming and going per day. The scanners need consistent network access to work and so long as that's there it takes 5-10 seconds/person to tap and have the reader come back with a red or green light. I'm surprised they haven't gone to thus system yet at Glastonbury, but assume the investment wasn't worth it due to the vast majority of people staying on site throughout the entire event.

As someone whos job went from "checking a documents picture against the holders face" to that plus also "run document through machine", those extra machine seconds truly add up when you have lots of people all turning up at the same time.

Before you know it you have a queue stretching back further than you can see.

Hopefully just my work that are [redacted].

13 hours ago, juuceman said:

Assuming they've gone RFID, the tech works well here in the US at Coachella, Lollapalooza, and any number of other festivals with 100,000+ people coming and going per day. The scanners need consistent network access to work and so long as that's there it takes 5-10 seconds/person to tap and have the reader come back with a red or green light. I'm surprised they haven't gone to thus system yet at Glastonbury, but assume the investment wasn't worth it due to the vast majority of people staying on site throughout the entire event.

This. Bonnaroo uses RFID bracelets bthat you can also tie to a card and use it for payment. With about 60k people going in and out, it worked flawlessly last year.

7 hours ago, dartmoordog said:

Quite a lot of people contribute a fair bit to the festival in the build up to the fest, who don't work full time or part time on the site. Sometimes these people can't pay for a ticket or are unlucky with the draw. Instead they give what they can, without guaranteed entry, in the hope that they'll get an EPO.

Sometimes these people deserve to get in. To my mind they are people that give Glastonbury some of it's character.

Glastonbury is a poorer place without a few slipping under or over the fence, in whatever way.

How do you make sure it is these people who get in, and not "sold to the highest bidder" people though?   

13 hours ago, dartmoordog said:

Where do you draw the line? I'm intrigued though- people contribute without working for the festival? What do you mean exactly?

1 hour ago, mrfunk said:

Just looking for a list of EPO shortcuts, say to the east corner etc.. Can you advice 

Thanks 

An EPO won't get you into any area that isn't open to all crews.  Most of the shortcuts require either specific crew credentials, accessibility passes or AAA or similar.

Hi guys, got some questions if you will. I'm yet to watch my job video (3 hours of it) .

I'm coming Tuesday night, it says camp is onsite in our own designated crew area. Early arrivals to go to red gate (what classes as an early arrival?!) , if not early, go to orange. Does this mean that is sounds like my camp site is in the grounds? My first shift isn't until Wednesday night so will I be able to get in Wednesday daytime? Or even Tuesday night ? I'm unsure how this all works as its my first steward time. Will I get wrist banded on arrival?

1 hour ago, kaisherz said:

Hi guys, got some questions if you will. I'm yet to watch my job video (3 hours of it) .

I'm coming Tuesday night, it says camp is onsite in our own designated crew area. Early arrivals to go to red gate (what classes as an early arrival?!) , if not early, go to orange. Does this mean that is sounds like my camp site is in the grounds? My first shift isn't until Wednesday night so will I be able to get in Wednesday daytime? Or even Tuesday night ? I'm unsure how this all works as its my first steward time. Will I get wrist banded on arrival?

You might be best posting in the volunteering thread - you might get more of a response ?

• Upvote 1