Hi, 

I've had an EPO band for several years but don't actually work the festival. I was wondering if it is possible to get on site early with these wristbands and what the deal with staff bars is if someone could help? Have been for 6 years and would love to see the site empty and behind the scenes!!

Edited by louise126x

3 minutes ago, louise126x said:

Hi, 

I've had an EPO band for several years but don't actually work the festival. I was wondering if it is possible to get on site early with these wristbands and what the deal with staff bars is if someone could help? Have been for 6 years and would love to see the site empty and behind the scenes!!

The EPO bands change each year just as wristbands for punters do. 

Edited by StoneCircle

There's 2 types of EPO band.

Regular EPO bands are considered generic staff wristband (most non-area specific staff camped outside the fence have them) and yes they'll get you on site on the Monday or Tuesday before the festival and should get you access to staff bars.

Worth View also have their own type of EPO bands (that usually look very similar to the Staff ones). They won't get you on site early, and officially won't get you access to the Staff bars but plenty people have had success trying.

Oh yeah, and the advice given by @Kinkyinuit regarding camping on site is really important - security do proactively police public campsites on the Monday and Tuesday to stop staff camping there and will take down any tents they find. You might be able to find a sheltered area out of their gaze, but I wouldn't want to rely on it.

@incident @Kinkyinuit

Thank you! It was the generic EPO wristband I have and don't worry wasn't planning on setting up a tent but noted! Little bit cheeky but have heard rumours of people using their EPOs for shortcuts through places such as when they divert everyone the long way round Shangri la. Don't suppose you have any information on this? 

Shortcuts - Varies. There are a limited number of none-public routes that you can use (the ones I'm aware of are more around the farmhouse), but most places will require an area-specific wristband or an apropriate laminate. I don't know what the story is with the SE corner.

Out of place - Not really. By the Monday plenty of staff / traders will have started to arrive and especially by the Tuesday afternoon there'll be plenty people doing similar wanders. By Tuesday early evening a few of the food stalls in the main market will even start to open as most workers will have finished their preparation and relax with a pint and some food (or take the chance to get a few extra sales) before the public arrive.

1 hour ago, incident said:

Shortcuts - Varies. There are a limited number of none-public routes that you can use (the ones I'm aware of are more around the farmhouse), but most places will require an area-specific wristband or an apropriate laminate. I don't know what the story is with the SE corner.

Out of place - Not really. By the Monday plenty of staff / traders will have started to arrive and especially by the Tuesday afternoon there'll be plenty people doing similar wanders. By Tuesday early evening a few of the food stalls in the main market will even start to open as most workers will have finished their preparation and relax with a pint and some food (or take the chance to get a few extra sales) before the public arrive.

Am sure I read last time there is actually a way to circumnavigate the south east corner entrance and get directly into Shangri La

21 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Been hearing mutterings that there couldbe changes to the crew EPO system this year caused by themass of fake EPOs that got flown in from China two years ago.

GFL are very very good at ironing out problems identifiedin previous years.

Will update if I hear any more.

They were quite easy to spot though (once they were identified) though, as they all had the same number on them and genuine EPO's were individually numbered and registered to specific people, and the colour was a bit off.

Don't doubt that there will be some changes if it was identified as a problem though.  Quite a lot of places do scan in and out nowadays - would be tough to do with everyone (just too many people) but you could do it for the subset of EPO's, which are just a few '000s

Edited by jfaragher

It's been an ambition of mine to be there on the Tuesday night. I know a couple of people who regularly work there and they send me pictures of them relaxing in one of the bars, and wondering around the site, before it's ruined by the rest of us!

I may have had the chance to get an early entry ticket this year, but I was struggling with getting that much time off work, and then I got a regular ticket in the resale so will 'settle' for that.

Maybe next year

Edited by uscore

40 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

They were quite easy to spot though (once they were identified) though, as they all had the same number on them and genuine EPO's were individually numbered and registered to specific people, and the colour was a bit off.

Don't doubt that there will be some changes if it was identified as a problem though.  Quite a lot of places do scan in and out nowadays - would be tough to do with everyone (just too many people) but you could do it for the subset of EPO's, which are just a few '000s

So that explains the extra interest in our Worthy View bands, as we passed in/out of the site after the first day or two!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 12:55 PM, Aragorn said:

Am sure I read last time there is actually a way to circumnavigate the south east corner entrance and get directly into Shangri La

There are!

On 5/2/2019 at 1:37 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

There is, through Theatre & Circus camping, one of the best things about pitching up there!

I'll have to investigate this one. My usual one was the one that dumps you by the longdrops near Deluxe Diner.

23 hours ago, elbongo said:

Shhh about the back way in you lot. God send 

This! There was a lot of talk about my way before 2017 and guess what... it was very well secured in 2017! Of course, feel free to PM me any ways that you know of besides the one from Stone Circle...

Edited by herzzreh

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Just heard that people on site are saying that EPOs are going to be electronic this year.

This sounds a great way to avoid the scammers.

On 5/2/2019 at 4:40 PM, incident said:

Shortcuts - Varies. There are a limited number of none-public routes that you can use (the ones I'm aware of are more around the farmhouse), but most places will require an area-specific wristband or an apropriate laminate.

I'm a volunteer and got off-site camping this year. It'd be really useful if we could access the site through Marys gate or similar cos it's a bit of a trek. So fingers crossed....

RFID chips embedded in the wristbands? They can be activated in batches when being doled out, and then checked in/out at the gates. They can have their authorisations removed in person or remotely, and then that wouldn’t grant entry. It’s a reasonably simple system (based on the fact I have it at work on a psych ward, and I work for the NHS where everything is done on a simplistic, shoestring budget of course ??