Emotional Moments

JoeyT

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Feeling emotional just reading this! I pretty much cry at least once every festival. Think Leonard Cohen was my first, openly weeping to him at my very first Glastonbury, first time I'd seen him, utterly exhausted, couldn't believe such a wonderful few days were nearly over. Been loads since then: Blur, Lana del Rey, Faithless come to mind. Also I think In 2010 when we popped into the silent disco around 2am for one last dance and when we took off our headphones to say bye to mates I could hear the whole tent singing along to Bob Marley's "Everything going to be alright" and that absolutely got me. Still does thinking about it. I just remember loving the place so much and being so gutted it was over.

This year I can imagine weeping to Cure, Hopkins and The Streets (Weak Become Heroes but Turn the Page might do it). Possibly a bit of Prodigy somewhere.

In general it will be an emotional one for me. My best mate died last year and we did four incredible Glastonburys together (2010-2014). I miss her so much and it doesn't take much to set me off these days. I'm going to be seeing her in everything (not just the stages but the food stands and just wandering about). I think it will be lovely but there will be tears.

So sorry to hear you had a bereavement like that. All those memories with your best mate -what a way to remember her ❤️

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Feeling emotional just reading this! I pretty much cry at least once every festival. Think Leonard Cohen was my first, openly weeping to him at my very first Glastonbury, first time I'd seen him, utterly exhausted, couldn't believe such a wonderful few days were nearly over. Been loads since then: Blur, Lana del Rey, Faithless come to mind. Also I think In 2010 when we popped into the silent disco around 2am for one last dance and when we took off our headphones to say bye to mates I could hear the whole tent singing along to Bob Marley's "Everything going to be alright" and that absolutely got me. Still does thinking about it. I just remember loving the place so much and being so gutted it was over.

This year I can imagine weeping to Cure, Hopkins and The Streets (Weak Become Heroes but Turn the Page might do it). Possibly a bit of Prodigy somewhere.

In general it will be an emotional one for me. My best mate died last year and we did four incredible Glastonburys together (2010-2014). I miss her so much and it doesn't take much to set me off these days. I'm going to be seeing her in everything (not just the stages but the food stands and just wandering about). I think it will be lovely but there will be tears.

Really sorry to hear that, ZMG. Do you have any plans to commemorate her this year? I'm sure you'll do her proud whatever you decide. We lost a member of our large group a couple years ago and we scattered some of his ashes in the stream by the stone dragon late on the Sunday night. He'll always be a part of the festival now 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ravermum said:

So sorry to hear you had a bereavement like that. All those memories with your best mate -what a way to remember her ❤️

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Really sorry to hear that, ZMG. Do you have any plans to commemorate her this year? I'm sure you'll do her proud whatever you decide. We lost a member of our large group a couple years ago and we scattered some of his ashes in the stream by the stone dragon late on the Sunday night. He'll always be a part of the festival now 

Thanks both. Really appreciate the kind words. That's so lovely about scattering your mate's ashes there. No plans to commemorate her in any Glastonbury-specific way but I will be thinking about her a lot, that's for sure. I'm so grateful to have so many happy memories though. It felt even more necessary than normal to get to the farm this year :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Thanks both. Really appreciate the kind words. That's so lovely about scattering your mate's ashes there. No plans to commemorate her in any Glastonbury-specific way but I will be thinking about her a lot, that's for sure. I'm so grateful to have so many happy memories though. It felt even more necessary than normal to get to the farm this year :)

Have you all considered chipping in and getting a bin painted in her honour?

Wasn’t overly emotional but when fat boy played John peel few festivals back and he had the faces flash up of all the celebs that died that year ending with Bowie and Prince is something that will stick with me forever (massive prince fan) has to be one of the best sets I’ve seen at glasto!

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:03 PM, zeppelin said:

When you drive over the hill in the dead of Tuesday night and lit up sprawl of the festival lays itself out in front of you.

That's it for me, nothing better: "I'm back." 

I was going to write this.  Except I think "I'm home".

I love the heat haze coming off the centre of the site and the flags fluttering and being reminded of things I had forgotten.    Bring it on!

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Have you all considered chipping in and getting a bin painted in her honour?

Unfortunately there's no big group any more, so it would only be for my benefit if I did as none of the original crew are coming. Lovely idea though. 

Might actually look into it now you've said it...

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

So sorry to read about your friend. In 2017 a friend of a friend passed away. I knew her, but not like others did. We were clubbing mates, but Id not seen her for a while. She'd done a few Glastonburys & so badly wanted to be at Glastonbury 17. She passed away in Feb '17.

Some of the people we were meeting in 17 (and camped with) were her good friends. They set up a hashtag & on fb glasto chat, they asked for people to do a selfie for Emma. They got roughly a 1000 selfies. From the nice, to the longdrops, to the people fucked. It was a celebration of Emma & Glastonbury. It was sad, but seeing some selfies was funny too. Emma would have laughed.

My friends thought Glastonbury would be tough. They cried a few times, but being there, talking about a few memories.  Having random people show them & Emma some, it love really helped. 

I am not saying you should do that, but I hope you find some way of honouring your friend however you need to. Glastonbury is a great place to honour someone. 

Enjoy your festival. Hopefully its emotional in the right way for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

So sorry to read about your friend. In 2017 a friend of a friend passed away. I knew her, but not like others did. We were clubbing mates, but Id not seen her for a while. She'd done a few Glastonburys & so badly wanted to be at Glastonbury 17. She passed away in Feb '17.

Some of the people we were meeting in 17 (and camped with) were her good friends. They set up a hashtag & on fb glasto chat, they asked for people to do a selfie for Emma. They got roughly a 1000 selfies. From the nice, to the longdrops, to the people fucked. It was a celebration of Emma & Glastonbury. It was sad, but seeing some selfies was funny too. Emma would have laughed.

My friends thought Glastonbury would be tough. They cried a few times, but being there, talking about a few memories.  Having random people show them & Emma some, it love really helped. 

I am not saying you should do that, but I hope you find some way of honouring your friend however you need to. Glastonbury is a great place to honour someone. 

Ah that's lovely, thank you for sharing. Out of upvotes. 

Really sad too of course but having those memories is really what counts. 

Whatever happens I will be raising a pint to my friend. She hadn't been since 2014 as I say so it was less a part of her life in the last couple of years but the times we had there meant a lot.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

8 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

In general it will be an emotional one for me. My best mate died last year and we did four incredible Glastonburys together (2010-2014). 

One of my friends died in the Jan before Glastonbury 15. She'd never been but that was going to be her first year. At her funeral we were all given a pebble with her name on to take somewhere special. Mine is lodged far up in the throat of the Dragon so it'll never fall out. Always spend a bit of time there on the Weds when its quiet. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

What a fun, poignant and beautiful tribute to your friend. Thanks for sharing, Fuzz

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Keithy said:

One of my friends died in the Jan before Glastonbury 15. She'd never been but that was going to be her first year. At her funeral we were all given a pebble with her name on to take somewhere special. Mine is lodged far up in the throat of the Dragon so it'll never fall out. Always spend a bit of time there on the Weds when its quiet. 

That is a lovely idea. So sorry she never got to go but how amazing to take the pebble there for her.

Slightly off topic, but I was watching the Glastonbury After Hours documentary for the trillionth time the other night (actually on resale day) and it suddenly dawned on me why people were getting so disappointed about not getting a ticket. There is a general theme running through the documentary around escapism. Escaping the pressure, the politics, the hatred, the violence, the consumption and all of the other negative aspects of society outside of that 8.5 mile perimeter fence. Glastonbury is where we go to get away from that and for a lot of us, once we've experienced it, it becomes almost our sanctuary, if only for a very short while. It maybe gives us a glimpse of how life could be without the stress and pressure that we apply to ourselves and is applied upon us. Cultural barriers broken, everyone equal, no worries for five days.

Seems really obvious in hindsight. 

So, we should make no excuses for obsessing over something so positive on these boards and we should never be ashamed if that 1.4 square miles of madness and wonder makes us emotional, whether it's a hug from a stranger, a song from your favourite act or thoughts of those we'd love to be there to experience it with us. As much as I've loved my previous eight, I'm definitely going to make sure my ninth is, to quote our leader, "the best one yet". It's going to be emotional.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Slightly off topic, but I was watching the Glastonbury After Hours documentary for the trillionth time the other night (actually on resale day) and it suddenly dawned on me why people were getting so disappointed about not getting a ticket. There is a general theme running through the documentary around escapism. Escaping the pressure, the politics, the hatred, the violence, the consumption and all of the other negative aspects of society outside of that 8.5 mile perimeter fence. Glastonbury is where we go to get away from that and for a lot of us, once we've experienced it, it becomes almost our sanctuary, if only for a very short while. It maybe gives us a glimpse of how life could be without the stress and pressure that we apply to ourselves and is applied upon us. Cultural barriers broken, everyone equal, no worries for five days.

So, we should make no excuses for obsessing over something so positive on these boards and we should never be ashamed if that 1.4 square miles of madness and wonder makes us emotional, whether it's a hug from a stranger, a song from your favourite act or thoughts of those we'd love to be there to experience it with us. As much as I've loved my previous eight, I'm definitely going to make sure my ninth is, to quote our leader, "the best one yet". It's going to be emotional.

here here .. does Neil really say that ? :) 

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Thanks for sharing everyone. It sucks so much to lose someone but really helps to know other people have been through it. If Glastonbury isn't a place to celebrate the people you love and just the joy of being alive I don't know where is. Maybe cheesy but true I think.

Sorry for your loss. I was thinking to myself that Frank Turner Long Live The Queen would be my emotional moment. I've lost a fair few people way too young but I first heard that song shortly after my cousin died at 29 of a brain tumour. We were very close and I took the lyrics to heart. I actually went to Glastonbury for the first time the year after she died, changed jobs from one I was miserable in and just set about making sure I didn't take my time on this planet for granted. I'm actually not sure if it could be too emotional for me to go see him. 

Hope you have a wonderful time for your mate. 

14 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Great post and very true :) Wish I wasn't out of upvotes! 

10 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Sorry for your loss. I was thinking to myself that Frank Turner Long Live The Queen would be my emotional moment. I've lost a fair few people way too young but I first heard that song shortly after my cousin died at 29 of a brain tumour. We were very close and I took the lyrics to heart. I actually went to Glastonbury for the first time the year after she died, changed jobs from one I was miserable in and just set about making sure I didn't take my time on this planet for granted. I'm actually not sure if it could be too emotional for me to go see him. 

Hope you have a wonderful time for your mate. 

So sorry to hear about your cousin. Hope you do make it to Frank Turner if it feels like the right thing to do. Have a wonderful festival. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Mine is always seeing any band I've loved and followed since their early days finally make it to any stage at Glastonbury. Feels like such a triumph.

Watching Frank Carter finally play and pull of a fantastic set was that for me. 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

@Supernintendo Chalmers did you say this year would be your last one? Do you mind me asking why?

I did. 2017 was going to be my last until I met someone new that I really wanted to share the Glastonbury experience with. I've been lucky to have enjoyed eight wonderful, life-changing years and spent it with some great people, memories that will last forever. I've not been to as many as some and regretfully not as early in my life as I should have. In that time I like to think I've done all that I want to do and seen as much as I want to see, when I look back at the artists and moments I've enjoyed it's staggering really. Plus I'd like to focus on seeing more of the world. Over the past five years or so I've been fortunate to have travelled a lot and meeting some amazing people from different places has given me a much better perspective on life and made me a better person. Glastonbury is a big financial and time drain and something's got to give.

I'm really excited for this year, probably more than ever. The new areas sound incredible.

People are placing huge significance on 2020, being the 50th anniversary and all but that doesn't mean that much to me to be honest, it'll be just another Glastonbury (which is in itself, no small thing of course). Maybe there'll be a few more bells and whistles but the run has to come to an end sometime. Just makes me even more determined to rinse every second out of this year! No regrets. 

And if the person who secures the ticket that I might have got this October gets even half as much out of the festival as I have, they'll never be the same.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Escapism is the single thing I like most about the festival. The music is secondary. People who have never been there don’t get that and it’s a waste of breathe trying to get it across.