Emotional Moments

JoeyT

Can't really think of anything on the 2019 that will give me a proper emotional moment outside of Pictures of You, but sure there'll be a few. Maybe Read My Mind, maybe Turn the Page.

End of Radiohead in 2017 really got me. Mainly that bit in Fake Plastic Trees but then the Creep-Karma Police double punch not too long after.

Can't wait for No Geography. Hope they wait for encore and blast out a supreme extended mix.

Also, as mentioned by others, Johnny Marr could strike a few emotional chords depending on what he picks from the back catalogue. "There is a light" will be a moment, for sure, but hope he plays "getting away with it", too.

What usually gets me is the Wednesday walk up the hill to the sign with my mates looking down on site and thinking wow I’m so lucky.

what made me cry in 2016 was James. We’d just found out about Brexit and their said just said everything I was feeling. Surrounded by like minded people I couldn’t make sense of what was happening.

in 2017 I balled my eyes out during you’ve got the love when hacienda classical opened the pyramid. 

This year I feel I could go at any time. I really didn’t think we’d be there. I cried when we got tickets in the resale. 

• Upvote 1

In 2014 i went with my brother and sister in law and their 2 children. My neice was 12 when the festival started so she got in free but it was her 13th birthday on the Friday

We were at the pyramid waiting for Arcade Fire and my brother turned up from somewhere with a huge chocolate birthday cake for his daughter. I put her on my shoulders and shouted out about her birthday and dozens and dozens of complete strangers spontaneously started singing 'happy birthday' to her!

We then shared the cake with as many people as we could. 

It was a beautiful moment.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Cjs benno said:

In 2014 i went with my brother and sister in law and their 2 children. My neice was 12 when the festival started so she got in free but it was her 13th birthday on the Friday

We were at the pyramid waiting for Arcade Fire and my brother turned up from somewhere with a huge chocolate birthday cake for his daughter. I put her on my shoulders and shouted out about her birthday and dozens and dozens of complete strangers spontaneously started singing 'happy birthday' to her!

Aw - ☺️

1 hour ago, Cjs benno said:

That happened to me outside the stonebridge bar ...... oh what a feeling :) I was buzzing ..... Think my massive birthday badge made it happen 

On 5/2/2019 at 10:52 PM, duke88 said:

Emmylou by First Aid Kit had me in bits last time. My daughter’s favourite song by her favourite band, and I just wanted her there with me to watch it so much.

Me too. Proper tears down my cheek at this beautiful song.  Still hoping they'll be back to do it to me again!

• Upvote 1

Well, we had a really tough year as a family, just gone.

So being at the farm with with my son and daughter will be very emotional.

When walking around on the Wednesday I am always touched the first time I see the Glade and that massive mirrorball in that awesome tree. 

Something about the generous  effort and love taken in preparing that area (and now also the Wood with the wicker sculptures) is very inspirational. 

On 5/3/2019 at 4:55 PM, y0ungtitan said:

End of Radiohead in 2017 really got me. Mainly that bit in Fake Plastic Trees but then the Creep-Karma Police double punch not too long after.

Same. I'm pretty sure if I hear any Radiohead during the festival it'll take me right back to that. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 1:53 PM, rosssss224 said:

On this note I've never seen more people cry in one place than will varley followed by beans on toast at boomtown last year. King for a King was the clincher followed by Beans doing a song for his Dads birthday while he was onstage.

Note it was a sunday and there was probably about 4 serotonin molecules left on the site

I've just read this thread from the start. Feeling sad, I hoped it would cheer me up. When I got to your post I stopped and closed my eyes and remembered how amazing that Sunday afternoon was. Thank you.

Great thread @JoeyT . Reading everyone's moments has sorted me right out....and got me thinking of some of mine. I can't wait to be back at Glastonbury.

I think for me this year it will be during Lauren Hill. Although as others have said it's the unpredictable moments that really get you.

Always meet my mum on the Sunday for legend slot. I’m always hanging and she puts her arm round me and let’s me sit in her chair (be assed carrying a chair round everywhere). Always get a bit teary at this point.

She took me to my first Glastonbury in 2005 when I was 10 years old, this will be my 10th. Best move she ever made. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Last year was 2 things.
Radiohead, pretty much the whole set was perfect for me, was in there solo and half way through XX met a lovely group of guys who I ended up spending most the weekend with just due to similiar tastes. The second Lukcy played the guy to my left just looked at me in shock and we both knew that the next 2 hours were going to be something special.

Funnily enough, Biffy Clyro. Its one of me and my best friend (who goes to glastonbury with me) favourite band, we've both seen them live dozens of times and always together. We watched them go from very small venues when we were teens being taken by our respected guadians to sub headlining glastonbury and we had a little cry and a hug.

This year could be a number of things, I have a feeling I'm gonna get a bit emotional during Christine but I think just being back on the site after a year and not thinking I was going to get tickets (resale) and also without my friend from the past 4 due to family reasons will be very emotional 

I cry every Glasto Sunday at some stage. Dolly in the middle of a packed and joyous pyramid - I was already half way there when she brought out Richie Sambora who was my idol when i was 8. 

Emotional tears, tears of laughter of what I was crying about, pull down sunglasses to show your mates how ridiculous you are and following tears of laughter.

Always wakes me up when exhausted.

Feeling emotional just reading this! I pretty much cry at least once every festival. Think Leonard Cohen was my first, openly weeping to him at my very first Glastonbury, first time I'd seen him, utterly exhausted, couldn't believe such a wonderful few days were nearly over. Been loads since then: Blur, Lana del Rey, Faithless come to mind. Also I think In 2010 when we popped into the silent disco around 2am for one last dance and when we took off our headphones to say bye to mates I could hear the whole tent singing along to Bob Marley's "Everything going to be alright" and that absolutely got me. Still does thinking about it. I just remember loving the place so much and being so gutted it was over.

This year I can imagine weeping to Cure, Hopkins and The Streets (Weak Become Heroes but Turn the Page might do it). Possibly a bit of Prodigy somewhere.

In general it will be an emotional one for me. My best mate died last year and we did four incredible Glastonburys together (2010-2014). I miss her so much and it doesn't take much to set me off these days. I'm going to be seeing her in everything (not just the stages but the food stands and just wandering about). I think it will be lovely but there will be tears.

• Like 1