Emotional Moments

JoeyT

Like many almost every time I've seen Kate Tempest there has been an emotional moment. Getting a hug from her up at The Park the day of the referendum result will always be a Glastonbury highlight for me. 

Johnny Marr singing There is a light that never goes out. Never seen so many men in tears. 

The tribute to Jo Cox up at The Park. 

Hearing Suzanne Vega at the acoustic tent doing Marlene On The Wall. 

Just a few of my previous ones. 

This year I really don't know I expect I'll have a moment during Mavis Staples set just because I find her so inspirational. 

That first pint at the cider bus on Wednesday afternoon.

The pain of a getting a ticket, the watching of the webcam, analysing weather for weeks on end, dilemma of when to leave on Weds morning, queuing from 5am, getting through the gate, getting to site, pitching the tent. That first drop of Apple makes you realise it was all so so so worth it 

• Like 1

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

All these things we think will be emotional ... and then its going to be something completely unexpected :) 

The sight of a man in a Pyramid hat with an LED jacket ambling across the fields of Avalon. That's Glastonbury.

Just now, vintagelaureate said:

The sight of a man in a Pyramid hat with an LED jacket ambling across the fields of Avalon. That's Glastonbury.

I need to work on my videoing skills ... it wasn't easy syncing it all ... originally I wanted no geography .. but in the end we just got the first one siri decided on :) 

Right now.

9 weeks to go & Glastonbury 2019 has started for me - Glasto playlist on (Tame Impala Let It Happen just played) and I’m well into my pre-festival routine leading up to the big week. After 2 years of waiting since the best festival of my life (20 years on from my first) I cannot fucking contain my enthusiasm - thinking about all of the amazing moments to come is quite emotional.

Bring. It. On.

• Upvote 2

Saw a guy propose to his girlfriend whilst The xx were playing Our Song in 2017. 

There were about 50 of us gathered round to congratulate them and every single person was in floods of tears.

Edited by c8lin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

All these things we think will be emotional ... and then its going to be something completely unexpected :) 

The unexpected ones are the best!  Sometimes it seems like there isn't any real thing to have triggered it other than an emotional build up that can't be contained any longer, and before you know it you're blubbing away on your mate's shoulder.

5 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I was at Art Garfunkel a couple of years back (2016? Maybe) and while it was a bit of a weird set (60% amazing singing of incredible songs and 40% hilariously dreadful poetry) Art started playing Bright Eyes and the geezer next to me: 6ft, big bloke, Scouse accent, prob mid 50’s - started weeping like a baby. I didn’t quite know what to do, so I popped an arm round him and said ‘hey mate, this was number one when I was born!’

he further collapsed into even more tears ??? he hugged me for the rest of the set, and I subsequently made my apologies and left ? weird old night 

Art was a similar one for me too. 

Launching into The Boxer as his second song caught me off guard which resulted in uncontrollable tears which I never really recovered from. Seeing others around me having a similar reaction just made things worse. However, his poetry was a complete buzz kill and he misjudged the British crowd with that bullshit. 

• Upvote 2

Apart from the screen that says 'you're order has been confirmed' (the best feeling ever!!) I would say Elbow on the Pyramid a few years back. It had been a shitty weather day and although not a particular Elbow fan I decided to give them a go, Guy did a speech about people saying 'glad I'm not there this year the weather is awful ha ha ha ha ha!' and played One Day Like This as the sun peaked through and it was glorious, was a real highlight for me. 

• Upvote 2

Like 80% of Radiohead’s set in 2017. Especially Exit Music for a Film, Fake Plastic Trees and Karma Police. But hearing the opening notes to Creep and Jonny Greenwood’s guitar smash on the pyramid is something that will stay with me for a long time. 

In terms of 2019, Mr Brightside. Enough said. 

9 hours ago, Seldom Seen Kid said:

The unexpected ones are the best!  Sometimes it seems like there isn't any real thing to have triggered it other than an emotional build up that can't be contained any longer, and before you know it you're blubbing away on your mate's shoulder.

Or in my case, a group hug with a group of complete strangers when Radiohead played Let Down in '17 :D

15 hours ago, MrHew said:

It doesn't take much to set me off but the most emotional moment I've had on the farm was mid 2000s. Lamb announced to a heaving Avalon tent that they were splitting up. The place went fucking mental, 1st it was sadness but then a noisy outpouring of love that meant they couldn't play anything for a few minutes. Every time they tried to talk to the crowd the noise ramped up and they stepped back from the mics.

The reat of the gig was really emotionally charged and when they played Gabriel there were many tears on stage and off. I'm welling up just thinking about it.

Oh man I was there.

Wonderful gig. west Holts the next day wan't quite as emotional.

Have a feeling Billie Eilish Ocean eyes (if played) may do for me.

My daughter has been through many many struggles over the 5 few years and this used to always be played when I would drive her around late at night to distract her from herself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The XX intro sent shivers down my spine and made me tear up..... but then again most of their songs do.

The fireworks at Foo Fighters.... we had to cancel our tickets to a previous gig to see them for a very sad reason. It was a very meaningful moment for us.

Openly wept most of the way through Laura Marling in 2017 (Sunday afternoon exhaustion/hysteria had well and truly kicked in too)

I normally well up a bit when we first walk down from our campsite as a group, and cross over the railway track into the site 'proper', usually around teatime on the Weds - something really heady about that mix of excitement over what's to come, seeing what's new, and lots of things feeling really reassuringly familiar.

...Also, just listening to Firesmoke by Kate Tempest on the radio the other day was a bit goosebumpy, so can imagine that sounding a bit special with a Glastonbury crowd.

Edited by kh24

On 5/2/2019 at 12:08 PM, jyoung said:

When Chemical Brothers play No Georgraphy and the beat drops and it's lit as fuck

giphy.gif

This ? I played No Geography to my husband the other day and talked him through what the moments are going to be when they play it 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ravermum said:

This ? I played No Geography to my husband the other day and talked him through what the moments are going to be when they play it 

Absolutely buzzing! So many bangers on that record (Got To Keep On, We've Got To Try etc). Hoping for an extended version of the single No Geography.

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

Absolutely buzzing! So many bangers on that record (Got To Keep On, We've Got To Try etc). Hoping for an extended version of the single No Geography.

So, so good. I’ve had the album on a loop ? Have you heard the Riton remix of Got To Keep On? 

I'll be the lunatic sobbing and raving during Maribou State's "Steal".

Shoutout to my top breakdowns — 2016's  "All My Friends" by LCD Soundsystem, and Nile Rogers 2017 announcement that he was cancer free.

:cry:

Edited by sophiemarie
can't figure out how to embed video!