Emotional Moments

JoeyT

Seeing the site for the first time; that first thud of a long drop; the first note of soundcheck on the Pyramid Stage (and when they start testing the screens); the walk up the hill by the Park.

Oh, and that moment when you've put the tent up and can just sit down and relax as you're set up in your home for the next five days.

On this note I've never seen more people cry in one place than will varley followed by beans on toast at boomtown last year. King for a King was the clincher followed by Beans doing a song for his Dads birthday while he was onstage.

Note it was a sunday and there was probably about 4 serotonin molecules left on the site

Edited by rosssss224
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Tears in my eye "Hello" by Lionel Richie as I remember buying that for my late mum on 7" single as a present.

"Caravan Of Love" Heaton & Abbott had a few of us pretending there were onions in the vicinity.

Come to the conclusion its the Sunday that does it and day 5 of partying hard gets to me. 

Lionel Richie had me sobbing my eyes out too. My late mum's absolute favourite artist. I was blubbing like a baby when he sang "Three Times a Lady", stood on my own too because I lost all my mates. Funny thing is my mum would have slapped me for being a such soft arse haha!

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Come to the conclusion its the Sunday...

Yep, always tired and emotional come Sunday .... current favourite to have this old man blubbing is Miley & Malibu.

Last lingering look over the site from Gate A on Monday morning is always difficult. You mentally have to treat each one as your last.

• Upvote 1

Agreed on the seeing the sprawling site for the first time and hearing the clang of the longdrop door. Also the first sit down after pitching the tent, quick drink and then lobbing all your gear into the tent and walking away from the tent past the Beat Hotel on the real start of another crazy adventure.

Blur - Tender 2009

Chems - Escape Velocity 2015

Bootleg Beatles - Various Songs, Various Sundays 

Are some of my highlights 

For me, it’s our group coming together at Brothers Bar, Wednesday lunchtime, we all met up as total strangers because of Glastonbury in 2005 and many we don’t see outside of festivals from year to year, so it’s a wonderful reunion. Wouldn’t miss it for the world.

It doesn't take much to set me off but the most emotional moment I've had on the farm was mid 2000s. Lamb announced to a heaving Avalon tent that they were splitting up. The place went fucking mental, 1st it was sadness but then a noisy outpouring of love that meant they couldn't play anything for a few minutes. Every time they tried to talk to the crowd the noise ramped up and they stepped back from the mics.

The reat of the gig was really emotionally charged and when they played Gabriel there were many tears on stage and off. I'm welling up just thinking about it.

I'm sure there'll be many moments this year but singing George Ezra's Hold My Girl with my 4 year old girl will probably leave me the most messy. And I don't even really enjoy the bloke. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Pictures Of You is my big one this year, and it happening on the Sunday in my fragile state is gonna make it hard not to bawl my eyes out. 

Also whatever the first big drop of the Chemical Brothers set is as the fielde breaks in to a unified jump and applause - a high like no other.

With you on that (pictures of you). A previous relationship that song is associated with will ensure I blub even though it was 15 years ago

My most memorable moment remains bursting into tears when Joan Baez sang "There But For Fortune" in the Acoustic a few years ago.  A bloke standing next to me put his arm round my shoulders and asked: "Are you OK mate?"  My reply was: "Yes, this is beautiful isn't it."

That was the spirit and caring of Glastonbury embodied in a moment.

This year my emotional time will be watching it on the telly (if I can bear it) as the Ticket Gods haven't smiled so far.

I was at Art Garfunkel a couple of years back (2016? Maybe) and while it was a bit of a weird set (60% amazing singing of incredible songs and 40% hilariously dreadful poetry) Art started playing Bright Eyes and the geezer next to me: 6ft, big bloke, Scouse accent, prob mid 50’s - started weeping like a baby. I didn’t quite know what to do, so I popped an arm round him and said ‘hey mate, this was number one when I was born!’

he further collapsed into even more tears ??? he hugged me for the rest of the set, and I subsequently made my apologies and left ? weird old night 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I always feel a bit silly having a 'moment', because nobody else around me seems to be on the same wavelength.

That's apart from Kate Tempest in 2017. I'd never seen her before and only discovered her about two weeks before the gates opened - enough to know she was a must see, but not enough to fully appreciate the power of her live performance. Stood in front of my were two tall gents, and we got chatting. They'd seen her several times previously and forewarned me that it would be something very special. But none of us had heard 'People's Faces' before. When that was over, at the very end, they turned around, presumably to ask what I thought of it, and there were misty eyes all around so no words were necessary, just knowing nods and smiles. It was such a wonderful, connecting moment.

Edited by kalifire

6 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

David Attenborough (if he does indeed appear).

Snow Patrol did Run and You Could Be Happy back-to-back when I saw them in Feb. That'd definitely get a lot of people. 

Pictures Of You.

If this happens I will be an emotional wreck so theres my sad emotional moment sorted!

I'm expecting the Idles set on the Park to be a very different kind of emotional moment 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, kalifire said:

The Climb by Miley Cyrus - I know it's a bit daft, but it's just such a lovely song.

This. It has got me teary every time I have listened to it since the announcement. Now it's on the Sunday I know I'll be in bits.