East Campervan Fields

The Kirbarge

6 hours ago, The Kirbarge said:

For once, I would like to get my van as close to the Hill of Death as possible so I do not have that marathon of a walk to and from everyday.

Any tips on how to achieve this impossible dream?

Did you get an East Quiet Pass, if so you will be fairly close to E21 depending on which field they are filling as you arrive. If not expect to be further away. However, there is no guarantee even if you arrive early that you will be placed any closer than someone arriving on Friday. 

its as much a lottery as getting the tickets itself. We arrived about 11am on the Tuesday in 2017, we had family passes. They were going to put us in a field a bit back but i pointed out we had 2 young kids and a pregnant lady on board, so they kindly checked and we were then put very close to the food vans at the top of the hill. This is the closest we have been, been close and arrived late and far and arrived early - i really don't think there is a secret or procedure that will help. Early arrival has to be the best chance i would guess - good luck  

20 hours ago, EZYSEY said:

Get there early Tuesday morning.

This.

Closest I got one year was E20 (I think E21 is reserved for crew, crew friends & people who need to be close for medical reasons?). 

in 2017, the fields opened around 0900 (ish).  I was in and setup on the side closest to E20, in East 23, by arriving around 1000.  Meaning, people in E20 (which was already full) must have been bang on at 0900ish. 

"Past performance is no guarantee for the future" though.  Personally, if I was a marshal, I'd be filling fields at random (& that may yet happen!).  So who can say for this year. 

Hi ?

So we’re new to the campervan side of the festival this year. I’ve noticed that most people on here seem to be aiming for first thing Tuesday morning to arrive on site. 

Checked the Glastonbury page and it says any vans arriving before noon will be turned away? Does it normally say this and just not go through with it? 

2 hours ago, amytamsin said:

Hi ?

So we’re new to the campervan side of the festival this year. I’ve noticed that most people on here seem to be aiming for first thing Tuesday morning to arrive on site. 

Checked the Glastonbury page and it says any vans arriving before noon will be turned away? Does it normally say this and just not go through with it? 

It's possible that you would be turned away.  All I can say is what I've experienced in the past, which is no guarantee of this year.   I was let into East and set up by 0920 in 2017 (just checked my photos to be sure). 

I will be trying for around 0900 again this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kirbarge said:

I’m coming from Manchester.

I’m going to leave at about 2am so should be there for about 6am ?

im determined to get close this time!!!

Personally I think that is far too early and will hack a lot of people (locals and festival workers) off.

When can we gain vehicular access to the camper/caravan fields?

First entry is from 12:00 hours Tuesday 25th June until 1400 hours Sunday 30th June. There will be NO access to the campervan fields prior to noon, Tuesday 25th June. Please be considerate of local residents and businesses. In order to keep the roads clear, there will be no queueing facility prior to gates opening. Any vehicles arriving before noon will be turned away. Please be aware that the Police will have officers patrolling and you may get a ticket for obstruction of the highway if you block any of the main roads locally to the site be considerate and stay away from the area until the gates are about to open.

Just picked this up from an FAQ on the Glastonbury website. Anyone know if this is new to 2019 or whether they say it every year just to put people off?

Edited by EZYSEY

1 hour ago, EZYSEY said:

Just picked this up from an FAQ on the Glastonbury website. Anyone know if this is new to 2019 or whether they say it every year just to put people off?

Yep, they say that every year, well every year since 2015 I've used the campervan fields for anyway!

3 hours ago, Cooter said:

I agree that 6am is taking the piss a bit, we normally arrive about 10am.

I'm curious to see if you'd even get in at that time.  I mean, there has to be a real limit they let people in at.  Not that I'm going to be getting up that early to try, but it would be interesting to see.

I hope we get feedback on how they get on!

I'd seriously doubt it. I'm guessing they say 12 midday knowing full well people are going to turn up 2/3 hours before and GF being the nice people they are then accommodate them asap rather than clogging up the local roads. But I reckon 6am and you'll indeed be risking a ticket from the old bill and moved on and to the back of the queue making it all pointless getting there so early.

4 hours ago, Cooter said:

I agree that 6am is taking the piss a bit, we normally arrive about 10am.

Yep, 10-12 seems best.  Even with the crash on A303 in 2017 that caused massive delays, we were still in E20 at about 11:30, close to the catering vans.

The filling up order has an impact.  It’s basically a mass pile in, so they fill up the furthest parts of the fields first, working back towards the access roads and tracks in order to keep thing moving.

So for east quiet, too early = too far away.  For east normal,  early = closer.

4 hours ago, Cooter said:

I'd seriously doubt it. I'm guessing they say 12 midday knowing full well people are going to turn up 2/3 hours before and GF being the nice people they are then accommodate them asap rather than clogging up the local roads. But I reckon 6am and you'll indeed be risking a ticket from the old bill and moved on and to the back of the queue making it all pointless getting there so early.

Or stick them in the field furthest away, which may explain why they often do this to early arrivals! :lol:

12 hours ago, poppyh24 said:

Were entering via the eat this year.. What colour routes do the camper vans approach by?

I think it's purple, (or blue). Anyway, it'll be on the CV ticket. Coming from the North, you'll see signs before Shepton Mallett, and you'll go past the car park entry for a mile and then turn right. All sign posted with colour coding.

8 minutes ago, The Kirbarge said:

How on earth will arriving at that time piss the locals off?

Because if others have the same thought process as you are potentially creating additional traffic outside the times the locals are expecting. If you can't get in where are you expecting to park up and remain? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Kirbarge said:

How on earth will arriving at that time piss the locals off?

The people living in the houses we pass on the way into the CV fields are not expecting excessive festival traffic at that time of day, the festival clearly ask you not to turn up early and there probably won't be any stewards on duty at this point so you will need to queue, eventually the queue will block the road if others follow suit. The road becomes one way at noon. By arriving early are preventing parents from doing the school run and getting to work.

It is a bonus getting in on Tuesday lunchtime, please don't get this stopped just because you want a good spot. As others have said, yes a couple of hours might be acceptable, but 6 hours early clearly isn't. :negative:

• Upvote 1