Best form of transportation for a 2 year old

Carinamillis

Hi, been to Glastonbury loads of times but never as a parent, Slightly worried about how I am going to transport my 2 year old around the festival as she can only really walk for about an hour maximum until she’s tired - leaving her at home isn’t an option. 

We will also be travelling via coach which unfortunately obviously puts a lot of the non-foldable options out the window.

I’ve looked at 3 things :-

Garden trolleys - a lot of these are non foldable and don’t have any shade - also we have used the foldable versions at Glastonbury prechildren for our stuff and nearly all of them broke (although we probably put too much stuff in them)  

second-hand all terrain pushchair- not sure if theses are a good option as I have never used one in my life and it would have to be second hand because they are expensive.

Jogger/bike trailer- seen loads of people at the festival using these before and also seen a lot of people recommending these for festivals, some of these fold or can be put down flat so that’s great, just again I know nothing about these are they light to push? Is ones with a rotating wheel at the front better? 

What do you guys think is the best option?

Hi!

I'm the same, been many times but first time with my 9 month old. We are borrowing a family members three wheeler all terrain buggy. There are some dirt cheap ones on Facebook market place so I would recommend getting one from there. We did look at the bike trailers but they're big and the garden trolleys are useless unless you spend a fortune ! 

Hope you have a great time :)

You're both along the right lines....I've done Glasto many times with all my kids at all ages. For a two year old I'd recommend a three wheeler robust pram, less friction with three wheels plus tight turning circles. Also get one with a tray and drinks holder by the handle and preferably one with a basket hanging under the seating area. Get a clip on sun shade thingy and take a small hand pump for tyres and also a puncture repair kit. Decorate pram with solar fairy lights.

We got all ours from boot fairs for a few quid.

Garden trolleys are ott and cumbersome for just one kid. We only got one of these when we had all three of ours at Glasto.

Edited by Cooter

My 2 boys are now 11 & 16 so the days of needing around site transport are long gone. 

When we did need it we went down the bike trailer route, the bigger footprint gives little-un more space / protection if you miscalculate a route & get stuck in a crowd.

They can made very comfortable in the extra room so you get to enjoy as much of the festival as you want.

Future proofed as there's space for a second sprog(!) and great for getting your gear to camp once it's been outgrown.

Big wheels are much easier to unclog if mudstraw makes an unwelcome appearance. 

Decorate with fairy lights, bunting & paint and enjoy the party.

Bike trailers are manoeuvrable and good in the mud. They have lots of space for carrying beers. Have you considered one of those backpack seat deeleys we used to have on of those it didn't take up too much space and doubled up as a little fold out seat so the little one could sit somewhere even when there is no other seating about. 

We use a bike trailer- I like the fact they can zip up, so the kids can hide themselves away in it if it's too hot/wet or they just need a break from the madness. They can be made quite cosy if you stick a few blankets in, so the kids can sleep in there while you're out past their bedtime. They get through the mud welo too- not that that will be a problem this year!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to go against the grain and say a MacLaren double wheeled buggy.

Light, manoeuvrable, and folds into a smallish size. The rain covers are quick, simple and easy. The one we had reclined. They have a sling basket underneath and you can get spares for them.

Our daughter is 12. She's long out of it but we still use it to transport stuff at festivals. The handles are sticky because they are perishing but that is the only thing wrong with it. 

We folded the girl into it for late nights/early mornings until she was nearly 10 (well she wanted to stay out ?).

• 2 weeks later...

Depends how muddy it is. Our all-terrain pushchair was useless in 2016 because of the mud, so glad I bought a carrier with me! The weather at 2017 was kinder so I used a mixture of a toddler buckle carrier and the all-terrain pushchair (she was 18 months at the time)

I used a 3 wheeler all-terrain when I took my boy. The weather was horrific and they put straw down on the tracks which combined with the mud made it a bloody nightmare. The straw/mud combination got stuck in the wheels and I actually ended up carrying the buggy with child in it at one point near the Other stage because the wheels wouldn't turn.

Another shout for all terrain 3 wheel. One where the front wheel can be locked in place. Also doubles as an excellent way of doing trips to the car to pick stuff up. Can be left in the lockers overnight to save tent space.and keep tent clean and dry 

I still use one now to take the tent in and kids grown up and don't use it. 

Bigger the wheels the better. Good if wheels come off easy  as mud will build up and make it hard to push. So easier to clear mud

However if it's a proper mud fest I think everything struggles!