Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

On 5/22/2019 at 12:33 AM, Curlygirl said:

Yeah I’ve seen you say that. I don’t take any scissors or sharp implements so non wiping hand it is! 

Yeah, luckily someone kind bought me a fancy swiss army knife many years ago and other than when airport security is involved I always have it, so that was one of my roles in bigger groups, plus obviously tins, trimming roaches etc. 

8 hours ago, lexlogic said:

One for the germaphobes....

There are times when only a sit down dump will do, so I always pack a small pump action spray bottle of eco-friendly antibacterial spray. Giving the loo a wipe before and after makes that type of game of thrones a little easier to bear. ??

Aren't all dumps sit-down dumps? ?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Graf21 said:

Not sure which thread to put this in. But can anyone advise if a solar powered charger is worth taking? And if so, any recommendations please.

Relying on the sun to keep everything charged is only going to anger the Weather Gods.  Don’t do it for all of our sakes!

Seriously I wouldn’t bother.  Are you going to leave the charger outside your tent all day to charge while you go off exploring?  Very trusting of you if you are.  Tied to the back of your day sack while bumbling?  It will jangle.  

I Suppose you could leave it in the car in the windscreen but could be a long expedition to fetch it.  

I’d just buy a large capacity power bank and use that instead

5 minutes ago, Graf21 said:

Not sure which thread to put this in. But can anyone advise if a solar powered charger is worth taking? And if so, any recommendations please.

Generally not really. I have a battery pack with a solar panel (a bit larger than a deck of cards) on it and the charge it generates is negligible.

You'd be better off getting an anker power bank like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-20100-Capacity-Technology-Black/dp/B00VJSGT2A/ref=asc_df_B00VJSGT2A/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311075391090&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16497234625174909727&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006691&hvtargid=aud-548500765412:pla-563828082883&psc=1

That has served me well through the last few festivals and kept my Samsung s7 charged throughout with still a little bit of juice to spare.

13 minutes ago, Graf21 said:

I've asked the same question and got a lot of very helpful advice. See here:

Basically, most people recommended not to get a solar charger. I listened and got a 26800 mAh Anker powerbank

Edited by Gabi_says
Wrong URL

20 minutes ago, Gabi_says said:

I've asked the same question and got a lot of very helpful advice. See here:

Basically, most people recommended not to get a solar charger. I listened and got a 26800 mAh Anker powerbank

21 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Generally not really. I have a battery pack with a solar panel (a bit larger than a deck of cards) on it and the charge it generates is negligible.

You'd be better off getting an anker power bank like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-20100-Capacity-Technology-Black/dp/B00VJSGT2A/ref=asc_df_B00VJSGT2A/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311075391090&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16497234625174909727&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006691&hvtargid=aud-548500765412:pla-563828082883&psc=1

That has served me well through the last few festivals and kept my Samsung s7 charged throughout with still a little bit of juice to spare.

22 minutes ago, tarw said:

Relying on the sun to keep everything charged is only going to anger the Weather Gods.  Don’t do it for all of our sakes!

Seriously I wouldn’t bother.  Are you going to leave the charger outside your tent all day to charge while you go off exploring?  Very trusting of you if you are.  Tied to the back of your day sack while bumbling?  It will jangle.  

I Suppose you could leave it in the car in the windscreen but could be a long expedition to fetch it.  

I’d just buy a large capacity power bank and use that instead

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't find the original thread!

I think the answer is unanimous with a solid anker charger. I don't want to jinx the weather after all.

20 hours ago, the beadle said:

Take an anglers seat, it’s a stool with a built in backpack, or a backpack with a stool built in, either way you can carry about eight cans of beer and when you’re knackered you can sit down and have one. Works for me every time. Available on amazon here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shakespeare-Folding-Stool-Back-Pack/dp/B004AHLS2I/ref=cts_sp_2_vtp

Interesting - never considered this - usually have the world's most uncomfortable stool stuffed in my bag.

Is it ok as a day bag? - not too big, easy to carry?

One thing that may have been mentioned already, but I was reminded of setting up yesterday. Zip your tent to the top, for 2 reasons. Mainly because if the tent is covered in condensation or r**n when you open it then it'll be easier to control where the water goes. Also because if some scrote decides to enter the tent or reach in its more work for them and more chance they get noticed.

20 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Rinse it out with cold water, hang it on a guy rope , should be dry by next day. Do not, I repeat do not use for bollocks or any other area below the waist. Resort to baby wipes for that area. No way should you expose your fellow campers to the sight of a skid marked flannel hanging from the tent.

20 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

I tie the dangly ends in a knot as soon as I get the band on. It keeps them nice and short.?

Tip - don't get these two tips mixed up.

• Upvote 1

Can anyone give me some advice (my first Glastonbury!) 

i cant really figure out what kind of ‘day bag’ is appropriate? Initially I was thinking I only wanted to take a bum bag, to save lugging anything bigger round. But if I’m drinking spirits, this won’t be anywhere near big enough to carry a days worth of drink, amongst everything else?  (Unless it’s common to just buy the mixer on site?)

If I bring a larger bag, what style? I worry a backpack will make my back sweat if it’s hot, and just not very comfortable to be wearing all day. 

What do most people tend to use? 

12 minutes ago, TJGthree said:

i cant really figure out what kind of ‘day bag’ is appropriate? Initially I was thinking I only wanted to take a bum bag, to save lugging anything bigger round. But if I’m drinking spirits, this won’t be anywhere near big enough to carry a days worth of drink, amongst everything else?  (Unless it’s common to just buy the mixer on site?)

If I bring a larger bag, what style? I worry a backpack will make my back sweat if it’s hot, and just not very comfortable to be wearing all day. 

have a look at sports direct for small rucksacks. some of them have mesh backs t keep your back a little cooler, also quecha ones from decathlon are pretty good value.

46 minutes ago, TJGthree said:

I carry a rucksack around pretty much all the time. Usually has 2x2 litre bottles of beer (these get refilled every time I’m at the tent from my 20 litre bag-in-boxes), a camera, power bank, bog roll, soap, sanitiser spray (for any ‘remedial’ work needed when toileting) and space for layers of clothes as they come off/go on!

On 5/21/2019 at 10:48 AM, smudger said:

Apologies if anyone has already posted this and sorry I don't know who to credit for it, but its good.

Write 'Glastonbury 2019' - and you festival buddies mobile number on a piece of paper and then photograph it. Set that as your locked screen saver.

Most people are decent enough to ring your mate if they find your phone. Chances are they're only going to be a few feet away too, so no searching for it in any number of lost property places.

far easier just to stick a contact list on the back ' with the owners name ' - that way it can be viewed if there is no power to the phone.

My Team gets stuck with this every year as we deal with lost property in the WBC crew camp.

We are under orders from the Insurance Company ' not to attempt to charge a phone ' so if its a dead phone we will not attempt to charge it - if there is a list on the back then we will call a few numbers.

On average we have about 6 or so phones per day handed in and as long as the owner can establish its their phone they will get it back but each day 2 are left unclaimed so they are locked away in a safe and they are transported back to WBC HQ.

I just cant work out why people will leave expensive Smartphones inside our crew tent and just walk off and forget them - my phone is tucked away in a belt pouch and never leaves my side and I would never dream of leaving it on a table.

We also get a lot of wallets and bags - one had 1,700 Euro in it and their passport and airline ticket - lucky for him we recognised him so he got it back even before he noticed it was gone. 

1 hour ago, TJGthree said:

I buy mixers as I go, so drinks-wise I just carry spirits, water bottle and a reusable cup. I'd rather get cold coke/juice/whatever when I need it than carry round 2 litres of warm mixer, but if you're on a tight budget you might not want to.

I normally take a shoulder bag instead of a backpack or bumbag, but if you're lugging a lot around it can be uncomfortable to have it all on 1 shoulder.

48 minutes ago, plot2pot said:

I carry a rucksack around pretty much all the time. Usually has 2x2 litre bottles of beer (these get refilled every time I’m at the tent from my 20 litre bag-in-boxes), a camera, power bank, bog roll, soap, sanitiser spray (for any ‘remedial’ work needed when toileting) and space for layers of clothes as they come off/go on!

Yeah this. Would rather have a reasonable sized backpack that I can fit most of my daily necessities in rather than having to pop back to my tent constantly. Usually starts off heavy-ish what with all the booze but soon lightens, plus you can just take it off and put it on the (hopefully dry) ground when you’re watching an act.

I just take a bumbag for essentials and use the Glastonbury bag to carry my spirits, water and a spare jumper.

Charm x

https://shop.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/collections/sale/products/glastonbury-2017-cotton-bag - Glastonbury bag, can be bought on site.  

Size really is important when considering a day bag. Too big and you'll be walking around carrying everyone's stuff and too small you'll end up having to go back to camp. I'm taking two. One to leave at lockups and a small one for just essentials. 

We take enough drink for the day because by 6pm ish it’s usually warm and not very nice to drink. We then buy drinks in the evening and put the ruck sack away.

i carry all our phones, money etc in a bum bag. The back pack is for drinks only 

I wear a bumbag which holds my phone, portable charger, cash, hand sanitizer and lipbalm. And backpack (not a sports/walking style one just a fashiony one from accessorize but it's leather so fairly waterproof) which holds waterproof jacket, bog roll, water bottle and as many cans of Strongbow as I can fit! It's rare it's hot/sunny enough to get back sweat from it but if it is, usually we sit down for a lot of the day rather than walking around so it can come off!