Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

10 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I love the tip about the tent pegs! We've put a foil blanket up with duct tape before but it never really stays. This is genius. 

Just a heads up — our neighbours had their pegs stolen at some point. So maybe some back-ups (can always use them when you get home!)

giphy.gif

48 minutes ago, sophiemarie said:

Just a heads up — our neighbours had their pegs stolen at some point. So maybe some back-ups (can always use them when you get home!)

giphy.gif

When we've done this we actually put the foil between the inner and outer parts of the tent, so would be tricky to steal! But thanks. Loving the gif!

9 hours ago, lbferb said:

The only place I have come across bloody mary's is the bar just up behind the ribbon tower at the park stage...no idea what its called?! its kinda opposite the entrance to the rabbit hole. But they were about £8 each if I remember correctly! the pre mixed idea works really well and it does keep perfectly all weekend...I mix together 'big tom' juice, clamato juice, tabasco, worcestershire sauce, grated horseradish, celery salt, salt & pepper, lemon juice. then add your vodka when mixing fresh on the morning as I would imagine it going a bit grim with the vodka pre mixed?!

Thank you, I’ve screenshotted your directions and will try to find it on Wednesday :)

13 hours ago, lbferb said:

I pre mix bloody mary mix into a 5L empty plastic water bottle so we have perfectly spiced BM's for the mornings to wake us all up and kick start the day! Just add the vodka as you go :)

I was reading this post wondering what on earth this had to do with longdrops until I remembered that wasn't what the thread was actually about!

10 hours ago, sophiemarie said:

Emergency foil blankets — when attached to the outside of your tent — can keep you relatively cool as the morning heats up. (Helpful if you're trying to sleep in.) However, they're really tricky to duct-tape to your tent. Our neighbours used clothesline pegs, which worked a treat.

To avoid the clothespegs being nicked and to reduce the amount of rustling you can peg the foil to the inside of your flysheet and it's just as effective

11 hours ago, lbferb said:

The only place I have come across bloody mary's is the bar just up behind the ribbon tower at the park stage...no idea what its called?! its kinda opposite the entrance to the rabbit hole. But they were about £8 each if I remember correctly! the pre mixed idea works really well and it does keep perfectly all weekend...I mix together 'big tom' juice, clamato juice, tabasco, worcestershire sauce, grated horseradish, celery salt, salt & pepper, lemon juice. then add your vodka when mixing fresh on the morning as I would imagine it going a bit grim with the vodka pre mixed?!

I can seriously recommend swapping horseradish for wasabi (a proper one), a bit of dark soy sauce instead of salt and also throwing some toasted sesame seeds into the mix. Trust me it’s MEGA ??

At home we ususally do this with sake instead of vodka but for festivals I always just take vodka and it works a treat. 

Edited by chelseadisco

2 hours ago, Jay89 said:

Thank you, I’ve screenshotted your directions and will try to find it on Wednesday :)

Bloody Marys can also be found at the cocktail caravan as you enter the Circus Field from the Theatre Field on the left hand side. You can spot it as they normally have someone dancing in a cage above the caravan at peak times. I don't drink them but my friends who do swear by them and that place is their first port of call when they need one! Prices are also around the £8 mark from what I remember. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, sophiemarie said:

Emergency foil blankets — when attached to the outside of your tent — can keep you relatively cool as the morning heats up. (Helpful if you're trying to sleep in.) However, they're really tricky to duct-tape to your tent. Our neighbours used clothesline pegs, which worked a treat.

What about a blanket like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/UTOOL-Emergency-Survival-Waterproof-Retention/dp/B07L5C9BJM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=reusable+thermal+blanket&qid=1557902087&s=sports&sr=1-3

Thicker then disposable emergency blanket so wont be noisy. Its got eyelets so can be pegged down.

Placing it on the side facing the morning sun should buy you another couple hours of sleep on a hot day.

Edited by jambla

2 hours ago, jambla said:

What about a blanket like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/UTOOL-Emergency-Survival-Waterproof-Retention/dp/B07L5C9BJM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=reusable+thermal+blanket&qid=1557902087&s=sports&sr=1-3

Thicker then disposable emergency blanket so wont be noisy. Its got eyelets so can be pegged down.

Placing it on the side facing the morning sun should buy you another couple hours of sleep on a hot day.

Yes- that's what I used before I got my blackout tent and posted about previously in the thread

Lot less noisy and easier to attach

I think the tip about taking photo of your lock up paper/voucher on your phone - also consider sending it to a whatsapp/fb group message. If you were unfortunate to lose both your phone and wallet then at least your friends will be able to help (once you've found them without a phone!)

On 5/14/2019 at 10:58 AM, Jay89 said:

On that note... is there any bars to get Bloody Mary in the morning? Somewhere not far from WV, although I’m prepared to walk the hill for it ? I was gonna pre mix my own, but I can’t imagine it’ll be nice by sat-sun.

22 hours ago, lbferb said:

The cocktail stand with the giant birdcage on top in T&C does a decent one as I remember - got a good kick to it, and if you're lucky there will be a performance in the birdcage to entertain while you wait.

Big Tom is the best!!

Edit: Just realised The Nal beat me to it

Edited by LadyP
  • Upvote 1

On 5/2/2019 at 9:13 AM, LostHorizon said:

Bring a couple of boxes of wine. Take the pouch out of the box and stick that in your backpack. A nice break from carrying around a bag of cans and you won’t need to run to the loo as much.

Might try and freeze them this time...

Also, after a few boxes of wine, Rennie.

This is a classic from me.

Anyone else use a water bladder and fill it with booze?

My hack: bring vodka, and one of those concentrated fruit squash squeezy things. I think fill it quarter full of vodka, few squeezes of the old Robinson's squash, then fill at the water taps. Ok may sound gross but Squash-ka really grew on me at uni.

Its cheap, easy to transport and lasts for ages :) I stick the water bladder in my backpack and happily intoxicate myself through the long straw all the live long day.

(it may have been mentioned before but I didn't read 21 pages of posts)

Write your name and email on a piece of paper - take a photo of it and set the photo as your lock screen on your phone, so if you do lose it...

I don't have kids, but I always liked the idea of the print-your-own tats with parent's contact details onto the kid's arm, just in case...

Anybody got any tips or tricks for making the carrying of crates a little less awkward when coming on site that doesn’t involve a trolley? Was thinking maybe using one of those big Ikea bags carried in between two people, but open for suggestions if anybody’s conjured up a genius idea of their own. Apologies if already covered.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Anybody got any tips or tricks for making the carrying of crates a little less awkward when coming on site that doesn’t involve a trolley? Was thinking maybe using one of those big Ikea bags carried in between two people, but open for suggestions if anybody’s conjured up a genius idea of their own. Apologies if already covered.

336_101_2.jpg

Though you'd need a few!!!!

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

If you do take Ikea bags then make sure to bring heavy duty gardening gloves or something else to wrap around the handles. They are an absolute killer. I speak from experience!

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I haven't tried it, but maybe a shoulder yoke?!

d66_2_152.jpg