Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

A pre-Glasto tip to help soothe the post-Glasto blues: before leaving for the festival, put fresh linen/duvet covers on the bed, stock up the fridge and cupboards with your favourite junk food and snacks and get your most comfortable clothes ready to chuck on right after your first proper bath or shower. It may no longer be a field in Somerset but all those home comforts help ease tired hearts, bodies and minds 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, ledwards said:

Are there many places that are cash only at Glasto? I always withdraw £200 but if it means carrying less money around I will start to make that much lower and use card wherever possible

7 hours ago, frostypaw said:

Not any more, almost everywhere can take card. It's worth having some cash tho for network issues.

Great way to use your lanyard too, keep your card in it so you don't have to keep getting wallets in/out

This is a really good point - I've always brought about the same amount of cash but probably don't need to. Beauty of a card being if it's nicked/lost you can just cancel. Will likely bring less this year (and maybe put some emergency funds in the lockup too). I never bring my actual wallet and only bring like two cards with me anyway as losing all my other bits and bobs would be a right pain.

8 hours ago, ledwards said:

Are there many places that are cash only at Glasto? I always withdraw £200 but if it means carrying less money around I will start to make that much lower and use card wherever possible

Bloody hell, you miss one Glasto and suddenly it gets all hi-tech!  Is this bars, food stalls, everything?

18 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just checked and payday is on the Friday this year, which is handy. Done a few Glastonburys now when it didn't fall until Monday...

Mines on the Tuesday which is fantastic, means I can do all the shopping extremely last minute like always but this time on payday. 

12 hours ago, frostypaw said:

Not any more, almost everywhere can take card. It's worth having some cash tho for network issues.

Very much this - at Wilderness last year the mobile coverage pretty much disappeared at times - it was amusing watching someone who probably had more money than I can imagine but hadn't brought cash walking stall to stall trying to find someone capable of taking his card so he could eat.

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

A pre-Glasto tip to help soothe the post-Glasto blues: before leaving for the festival, put fresh linen/duvet covers on the bed, stock up the fridge and cupboards with your favourite junk food and snacks and get your most comfortable clothes ready to chuck on right after your first proper bath or shower. It may no longer be a field in Somerset but all those home comforts help ease tired hearts, bodies and minds 

This is a GENIUS tip. I’m coming back from my holidays tomorrow and I tidied the shite out of my flat before going away: I get back, I bung the washing machine on, sit down and make some tea and relax - safe in the knowledge it’s all clean and good. Blissful 

• Upvote 2

On 5/4/2019 at 5:50 PM, barkley87 said:

I got this from the boards a few years ago and still find it helpful. I take a laminated version every year.

Bo0ttLgCMAA4qf9.jpg

It's cool and would benefit from having a bimble/under-the-influence version too ???. Probably much harder to predict with any precision tho.

8 hours ago, incident said:

Very much this - at Wilderness last year the mobile coverage pretty much disappeared at times - it was amusing watching someone who probably had more money than I can imagine but hadn't brought cash walking stall to stall trying to find someone capable of taking his card so he could eat.

Same thing(ish) happened at some of the bars for The Stones at Stratford last year. Whole bars unable to open in time because they were card only (though I think it was more to do with their network rather than mobile coverage).

The person I was with at the time (who is rather well experienced in gig/festival bar management ;)) stated that they thought it was maybe cash only because they didn't trust the staff with cash :(.

Can't see any stall with any sense not taking any cash at Glasto somehow :).

On 5/4/2019 at 5:50 PM, barkley87 said:

I got this from the boards a few years ago and still find it helpful. I take a laminated version every year.

Bo0ttLgCMAA4qf9.jpg

This cracks me up. I love the bit in the box "assumes good conditions and NO DISTRACTIONS".

If you want to walk round Glastonbury with no distractions you need to do it in the next few weeks and I still reckon those times are a bit tight.

It's taken me 2 hours to get from shangri la to block 9 before and that was in good conditions ?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

Ooh, re mobile phones:

Turn off Bluetooth!  It massively zaps your battery!

13 minutes ago, duke88 said:

And wi-fi and location. No need for them!

And application updates. Most phones now have some form of battery management settings which helps.

Charging up when on airplane mode speeds it up too.

Only learned this tip on my second Glastonbury. Slow down, sit down, have a look at what's happening where you are. You can't see it all, you will miss things but what is right in front of you is normally amazing.

• Upvote 1

On 5/4/2019 at 6:15 PM, Woffy said:

This is always a decent guide if you're a newbie / don't know your way around too well, but i think it's pre-the Peel Tent move innit?

Also, i reckon a lot of seasoned Glasto-goers will be having a bimble more than usual this year purely due to all the new stuff on the map.

Bo0ttLgCMAA4qf9.jpg.d866c52a8d810a18acdf

20 mins from Silver Hayes to JP?  That's got to be the new location.  It used to be more like 20 seconds.