Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

40 minutes ago, brightyoungthing2 said:

Another 'hack' (born of laziness): Put your outfit for each day in a carrier bag with underwear/ socks etc. and label.

They stay dry and when you want to die on a morning, you spend less time clambering around your bag and it requires 100x less effort/ brain power.

Yeah, this is great. Someone mentioned it on here a couple of years ago, really helped me in packing. 5 carrier bags, each one with pants, socks and a t-shirt inside.

1 minute ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, this is great. Someone mentioned it on here a couple of years ago, really helped me in packing. 5 carrier bags, each one with pants, socks and a t-shirt inside.

Totally. After everything I took got soaked in 2007 (the trauma!) I've packed ritualistically like this, fearing a bad omen if I don't! Of course rain won't be an issue this year?

What are everybody's tips for dealing with foot ache? Every festival I get this. I always feel fine in my self, it's just the constant standing up and walking around for long periods that makes the bottom of my feet very uncomfortable.

I work in an office all day so i'm not used to it at all haha!

6 minutes ago, Fussah said:

What are everybody's tips for dealing with foot ache? Every festival I get this. I always feel fine in my self, it's just the constant standing up and walking around for long periods that makes the bottom of my feet very uncomfortable.

Get out for some longish walks on the weekends in prep, make sure your shoes are supporting your feet properly and find moments to have a sit down and a cider ?

11 minutes ago, Fussah said:

Walking boots and a massage/osteopath up in the healing fields on Friday morning. A few stretches every morning aswell. Lower back, hips, hamstrings etc. 

1 hour ago, brightyoungthing2 said:

Another 'hack' (born of laziness): Put your outfit for each day in a carrier bag with underwear/ socks etc. and label.

They stay dry and when you want to die on a morning, you spend less time clambering around your bag and it requires 100x less effort/ brain power.

I started doing this a few years ago. It wasn't so much for laziness, it was more thinking that if one bag of clothes got wet it wouldn't mean I had no socks or no shirts for the rest of the time, I would just be one outfit down.

I also leave a change of clothes in the car, with trainers too.  Although this time I'm coming by bus so I might leave all this in a lockup.

14 hours ago, MrHew said:

That's a grand idea. As we're taking the kid this year I'll need my phone. Previoisly it's gone in the lock ups.

See I'm not taking my child. Our first time away from her. Absolutely bricking it so really want my phone on me 24/7. I feel like it would be less stress to actually bring her but her being 16 months old come June it would be like bringing a drunk person who just runs around everywhere with no regard for their own safety. Oh wait... 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, brightyoungthing2 said:

I always do this at festivals.

39 minutes ago, Fussah said:

You need to practice standing up and walking around for long periods before you get there. Rocking on to the balls of your feet and then back on to your ankles can help a it but getting your feet and legs used to standing up is the only surefire way. Try walking as much as you can - walk to work, get of the bus/tube a stop earlier, if you drive to work then get there early and then go for a walk between car and office, use the stairs at the office. Failing all that go to a gym.

Great tip! Just bought myself some large zip-loc bags so I can do it this year.

This is absolutely genius. I’m not going to do it because I’d never plan to be that spangled but 100% I’m going to regret that decision come the Friday morning.

17 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I carry a tiny spoon on a necklace round my neck. It’s perfect for stirring your morning coffee and other things.

Did you lose one in 2015? I found this on a bench in west holts!

038D5D4F-FE6B-4789-84F2-88C630E2A655.png

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, doogie said:

Cut your toenails before you go.

It's not going to rain obviously, but walking 10 miles a day through mud in wellies can cause painful blisters on your toes if you don't.

Not too short though! Made that mistake before hitting the hills in boots last summer...

Just now, Quark said:

Not too short though! Made that mistake before hitting the hills in boots last summer...

My tip is to cut your toe nails about a week to 10 days before so you don't end up with any sharp bits that you can't do anything about while you are there. A nice cooling foot gel for the end of each day as well. 

Bring blister plasters just in case as well. 

To prevent sore feet, wear walking shoes or boots rather than trainers. Something with nice support. I get terrible "ball-burn" if I don't wear my cheap Karrimor walking shoes.

The simple joy on mashed people's faces as you give them a squirt of hand wash and they suddenly feel clean is great. One year I had a tangerine scented one and it was a massive hit.

2 hours ago, Fussah said:

As well as having good boots (as others have said!) make sure they have decent ankle support- especially in mud (which there wont be of course) invest in decent walking socks- I'm not a fan of double socks, find it rubs worse. One really good, ideally wool pair will see you right. 

Will dig out my good ones and post a link about them later!

10 hours ago, stuwilky said:

I would fundamentally disagree with this. Always follow a bloke with loo roll and a spring in his step over a girly with flowers in her hair.

the latter is far likely to be a hovered with rubbish aim.

Especially in a muddy year when you get the added bonus of muddy footprints on and around the seat.

29 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

To prevent sore feet, wear walking shoes or boots rather than trainers. Something with nice support. I get terrible "ball-burn" if I don't wear my cheap Karrimor walking shoes.

The simple joy on mashed people's faces as you give them a squirt of hand wash and they suddenly feel clean is great. One year I had a tangerine scented one and it was a massive hit.

I picked that tip up on here as well and did it at the last glasto. Was fantastic chatting to randoms at the sinks giving them a squirt of soap. Lovely having clean hands that smell nice. Spread the soapy love. :D 

• Upvote 1