Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

13 minutes ago, mazola said:

This might me a bit late now, but I remembered a good tip when I was packing tonight.

When you are using loo rolls at home, replace them when they are half gone, and put the old one in your Glasto pile.

This way you can have a stash of half rolls instead of full ones, which you can flatten and fit in your pocket.

Now you can go for your early morning shit without letting everyone you pass on the way know what you are up to.

edit: Bollocks, just saw @harderfaster beat me to it.

Haha, top work. I was only repeating what I'd read from others, so can't take any credit. 

19 minutes ago, mazola said:

This might me a bit late now, but I remembered a good tip when I was packing tonight.

When you are using loo rolls at home, replace them when they are half gone, and put the old one in your Glasto pile.

This way you can have a stash of half rolls instead of full ones, which you can flatten and fit in your pocket.

Now you can go for your early morning shit without letting everyone you pass on the way know what you are up to.

I’ve just done this with bin bags. We re had about a quarter of a role left so just bought a new role and have packed the quarter role.

22 minutes ago, mazola said:

Pah!

I stride confidently and proudly toward the longdrops each morning with a bogroll in my hand and the guide under my arm.

• Upvote 2

Use a drill or heavy duty hole punch to make a hole in your wellies (not that we’ll need them) an inch down from the top then use a carabiner to attach them to your ruck sack.  Saves valuable space in a ruck sack although you still have the weight minus about half a gram from the hole !!!

1 minute ago, BL1ND T1G3R said:

Use a drill or heavy duty hole punch to make a hole in your wellies (not that we’ll need them) an inch down from the top then use a carabiner to attach them to your ruck sack.  Saves valuable space in a ruck sack although you still have the weight minus about half a gram from the hole !!!

I used a bungee to attach them to my rucksack.  Hope it works and they don't fall off!

Some of these might have already been mentioned, but I don't have time to read 30 odd pages. General festival ones but should apply for Glasto. Most of it common sense.

1. Queuing for mixed gender toilets? Let the guy behind you take the first one that comes up if a man leaves it and then jump in the first one a woman leaves. Higher chance of bog roll, it being able to lock properly and a toilet not covered in piss and shit. :) Also if there's a rear section head to the middle portion of the rear section (especially for long drops). Same rule for mixed gender showers (all from what I understand the queues for showers at Glasto aren't worth it).
  2. If your carrying a large bag (backpack) tie it to the door handle of any toilet you use if the door handle does not lock properly. Done properly should someone open it will be the first thing they see rather than your knackers/lady bits dangling in front of them while you try and have a shit.
  3. Take a bar of soap, flannel and a water container rather than wet wipes. Wet wipes do not make you feel clean in any way - and if you've bought rubbish ones as soon as you start walking again you also notice the due from them rubbing against your clothes.
  4.  Take double the amount of pegs you think you actually need. Not only do they get lost really easily, people with often nick them.
  5. Keep your wallet, phone, house/car keys, ID, pass out ticket anything else you absolutely do not want stolen at the foot of your sleeping bag or even better in pockets of the clothes you are wearing while you are sleeping.Even better use the locker if you can be bothered to queue.
  6. Don't even consider padlocking your tent. Nothing stays "there's something valuable in here" like a padlock on a tent.
  7. Take three pairs of socks with you for each day and two pairs of underwear. The three pairs of socks are one for the first half of the active day, one for the second half of the day and one for the night-time; it helps prevent blisters/trench foot. Invest in a good pair of walking socks. The second pair of underwear is for when you run out of your ample bog roll supplies and there really is another option; I've never had this happen to myself but I've known enough people it has happened to and gone into enough festival loos with shit-covered boxers hanging in them to know this is obviously a more common situation than I would have ever thought. ?
  8. Take a head torch. Carrying a hand torch around gets annoying pretty quickly. Take spare batteries. 
  9. Portable phone charger. If it runs out, buy a portal phone charger on daily hire and recharge your portable charger. It's generally cheaper to hire chargers for one day rather than the whole festival.
  10. Take a hex stove and hex fuel tablets. There so much lighter to carry and so much less likely to kill you than a gas one (think they're allowed at Glasto, not at most festivals). And even if you're buying all your food being able to make a cuppa without wandering over to the food stalls is a god send if you're camped out the way of any.
  11. If you're going by car and planning on camping some distance get hold of your own trolley before going rather than paying the jolly green sherpa folks extortionate amounts to hire one. 
  12. On the first day have a good wander round the stages you want to see things on and get the rough idea of how long it takes to walk between them/your campsite/your favourite night life venue. Now double that time to account for mass crowd movement between sets, maybe even treble it for the biggest stages. You can now look at stage times and plan your sets accordingly, this avoids a lot of disappointment later on in the festivals where you miss one set you wanted to see trying to get to it and miss another trying to get to that. 
  13. Make friendly conversation with the neighbours in your campsite as soon as you've pitched up. If they know who is supposed to be in your tent they will probably look out and challenge anybody who's not supposed to be there if they're around having a bevvy while you are out enjoying the festival. 
  14. When braving the long walk if using a rucksack tie the sleeping bag (securely) to your rucksack rather than trying to penguin walk with it and your tent balancing on your hands above a crate of beer. See this so much. 
  15. Take a spare ground sheet. 
  16. Have an ICE contact on your phone - make sure this is someone who is actually at the festival for the duration of the festival. It allows the person who finds the phone to ring them directly rather than hand it in to lost property or to some other member of staff (many of whom can't leave their positions) to give to lost property. You'll get it back ten times quicker this way.
  17. Don't go anywhere at a festival without at least two zippable/secure button lock pockets that are in places you would easily feel someone brushing up against them . Definitely do not enter any pits without this. 
  18. If you feel uncomfortable with someone your near, move. Your gut instinct is often right. If they follow you move again. If they follow you that time report it to security/police. Don't confront them. (this is especially important in sparsely populated areas or areas where a high amount of drugs or alcohol are being taken). You'll probably get a brush off but they will monitor the person and if they've bad intentions the mere fact you've spoken to security/police will probably make them leave you alone.
  19. If you lose any of your mates don't all go and look for them. At least one of you should remain in the last place you've saw them, it's likely to be the first place they look. Agree somewhere to meet the people who've gone looking for them. 
  20. As well as your reusable water bottle and reusable cup take another reusable container - none see through - and place a sticker (or just one of another colour) of some sort on it that you will be able to recognise even when your off your head. If you're really caught short in the middle of the night (it happens once in a blue moon) you have something to use and discreet container to go and empty in the portaloo in the morning. 
  21. Power banks run on continuous charge cycles, unplug them when there done.
  22. Tissues are easier and more discreet than rolls of bog roll (although other suggestions have been made for this above). 
  23. Take a fold up/collapsible watering can. Great for giving yourself a proper shower without cueing for the showers. Do this in a quiet area away from yours or other peoples tents though.
  24. Whilst it might seem tempting to leave the roll mat and air bed at home, the reality is very different three days into a four/five day festival. Take it. Do not forget the airbed pump, yes you can probably cadge one but you want to spend the first hour of your festival trying.
  25. Do not get properly trashed on the coach down. Wait until the tents up.
  26. If a popular band are playing a tiny tent then get there for the band before if you really really want to see them and love them a lot. Likelihood is a lot of other people have had the same idea.
  27. Ignore the vast majority of secret set rumours until they're confirmed somewhere reliable, you'll probably end up missing a band you actually want to see on the promise of seeing your favourites only for some really obscure indy band who couldn't be announced because there a ticket draw for another smaller festival to walk on stage.
  28. The weather forecast might be brilliant. You should still take wet weather gear. This is Britain. Even if the weather is reasonably mild but clear you will likely get mild sunburn without any cream on; especially if your normally an inside worker. Being outdoors for that long a day has that affect on people. 
  29. Take a personal first aid kit. One of those things that's easily forgotten in the last minute dash. 
  30. Lastly, and this is less a hack and more advice. FFS don't stick to the main stages. Have a good wander round into places that haven't even cropped up on your radar. Just explore nooks and crannies and stop. Don't rush around stressing yourself with a never-ending list of bands you want to see chocking up every second of every day your at the festival. Some of the best moments are when you turn round and go "what's that?" and find out, not when you've just done a half marathon to catch the last 3 songs of a band you loved in your teens whose vocalist has smoked 50 a day for the past twenty years, the drummer's gone tone deaf, the crowd are all singing out of tune and guitarist is off his head. 
Edited by madmaninabox

Some good advice but......

Double the amount of pegs you think you need?  Double 0 = 0 and that's how many I'll be taking!! ?

Three pairs of socks a day?  Bloody hell!  No chance.  There is no way I'll be changing my socks twice in a day! Never had any problem with my feet in one pair a day!

The lock-ups are free (though they like a donation).  And I'm sure all the thieves know about keeping valuables in the bottom of your sleeping bag and this is the first place they look.  Even when they're in their sleeping bag, people have had stuff stolen from there by the thief just slitting the bottom.

16 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Double the amount of pegs you think you need?  Double 0 = 0 and that's how many I'll be taking!! ?

Three pairs of socks a day?  Bloody hell!  No chance.  There is no way I'll be changing my socks twice in a day! Never had any problem with my feet in one pair a day!

The lock-ups are free (though they like a donation).  And I'm sure all the thieves know about keeping valuables in the bottom of your sleeping bag and this is the first place they look.  Even when they're in their sleeping bag, people have had stuff stolen from there by the thief just slitting the bottom.

If you think you need 0 pegs you've either got an incredible tent or your going to find out how much of an idiot you are pretty quickly. Double the number you're tent normally takes is probably a better way of phrasing it.

Yes of course they know, but it's one step above keeping them in a bag outside of your sleeping bag (which is the first place they look - there not going to risk waking you by tearing the bag unless necessary - they don't know whether you'd sleep through the tent burning down or the zip has woken you up and your pretending to be asleep) and has always worked for me and people I know. Hence the pockets suggestion - slightly more discreet. Sometimes, the point is to make stuff less likely rather than prevent it absolutely never happens. Glad to hear the lock ups are free though. And the socks thing is for those who prefer absolute comfort - you can probably get away with changing twice (morning and bedtime).

Edited by madmaninabox

1 hour ago, Beerqueen said:

You don't take any tent pegs?

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

You don't take any tent pegs?

To be fair I've just spent 10 minutes thinking "why do I need clothes pegs, what am I missing??!" ?

Think I've gone a bit delirious with the excitement!

Edited by semmtexx

1 hour ago, semmtexx said:

To be fair I've just spent 10 minutes thinking "why do I need clothes pegs, what am I missing??!" ?

Think I've gone a bit delirious with the excitement!

4 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I too thought he meant clothes pegs!  Look, I've had a very stressful day, I am being stupid, forgive me.

:D I also thought he meant clothes pegs at first to be honest...

I was more concerned about the using underwear as toilet roll tip :(

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ooh yes, I'd forgotten that!

And I'm now worrying that my tent has enough pegs even though I know I put it up and pegged it out to check!

2 hours ago, madmaninabox said:

Some of these might have already been mentioned, but I don't have time to read 30 odd pages. General festival ones but should apply for Glasto. Most of it common sense.

Some good pointers, many thanks

47 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Everybody knows to use one of the three pairs of socks for today.

Fairly sure the shitty pants in the loos aren't from people using them cos they happened to run out of loo roll.

22 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Everybody knows to use one of the three pairs of socks for today.

Fairly sure the shitty pants in the loos aren't from people using them cos they happened to run out of loo roll.

There's a variety of reasons - you know the others - for it but one of them is genuinely people using them as loo roll. Look at the pattern the streaks form on them if you really want to try and play Poirot as to why they're their. (Now that reminds me of  another tip - take immodium ffs) Skanky people go to festivals too. Several mates and people I've camped with as a punter at festivals - don't ask how we got on the topic - have admitted to doing this (one of them on more than one occasion, which frankly is when I think it becomes an issue, as an absolute one off fine but...).   

If your miles away from your bog roll stash and the choices are walking around with that unwiped arse feeling or semi-clean it and go commando it's not a difficult decision, especially after a cocktail of drugs and alcohol? 

I feel like there's only so far this conversation can go. You either have as little faith in humanity as me and accept this happens or you carry on assuming everybody is happy to just walk around with that unwiped arse feeling until they can get hold of tissue paper/bog roll. 

And also you've got to break a post that long up with something interesting....

Edited by madmaninabox